Author Topic: wanted to rescue 2 siamese cats  (Read 70442 times)

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
Re: wanted to rescue 2 siamese cats
« Reply #146 on: December 18, 2007, 16:17:34 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #145 on: December 18, 2007, 15:37:13 PM »
With the way they are, I honestly think they wouldn't be here today if it's FIP, they have no reserves on them and I think anything they get will knock them for six until their immune system builds up.  Hopefully now Jackie's vets have got them on different treatment, they will go from strength to strength  :hug:  Here's another couple of links but there's lots more information on the internet:

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/furryboots/fip.html

http://www.petplace.com/cats/feline-infectious-peritonitis-fip/page1.aspx

http://www.orionfoundation.com/

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2007, 15:30:56 PM »
Keeping everything crossed for these little ones x

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #143 on: December 18, 2007, 15:30:11 PM »
DD yes that is correct the only 100% for sure way is by post mortem. I refused to let them take Beau. But his was FIP his tum was full of fluid.He had wet form.

I am still praying that this is just a virus and it will pass through them, and they will be ok.

Yes the corona virus mutates into FIP. My vet said that all cats come into contact with this virus and most get upset tum, and the poops, this is what gets rid of it. Others it mutats in to FIP, the more the body tries to fight it, the more the virus grows and takes over the immune system.

But this is NOT going to happen to Simba & Coco. xxxxxxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #142 on: December 18, 2007, 15:03:58 PM »
That would be great news if its the coronavirus...............ironical that happy for them to have this, but FIP is a certain and painful killer, the alternative is so much better!

I am wishing good thoughts for Simba , Coco and you and hope that all these knowledgeable people are right  :hug: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #141 on: December 18, 2007, 14:42:40 PM »
Hopefully that is good news  :ahh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #140 on: December 18, 2007, 14:24:54 PM »
I hope Jackie doesn't mind me posting this but I know Dawn is worrying herself silly about whether or not her cats will get FIP.  I've just spoken to Jackie as I know a few of you, me included were wondering about a definitive diagnosis of the FIP.  Apparently the only true test for FIP is usually sadly once the cat has died and this is then usually confirmed through tissue samples, so it does sound as if these two have got the Corona Virus and not actually full blown FIP.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 14:56:48 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2007, 13:01:27 PM »
Just out of curiosity... how old are this duo?

They are approximately 16 months old now.

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2007, 12:56:01 PM »
Keeping everything crossed for Simba and Coco Jackie, sending big hugs and positive vibes to you all

x

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2007, 12:53:09 PM »
 :hug: Dawn, with most cats, when they are rehomed they do go through a stressful period, whether they show it or not.  With Simba and Coco I do think with the runny eyes and coughing, this is going to be stress induced.  In their case especially, the fact their immune systems are compromised anyway, they are going to be more susceptable to illness.  They are on treatment at the moment which will help with the coughing and runny eyes and fingers crossed will also help with their illness.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2007, 12:52:20 PM »
To be honest this is rather shocking to me reading through as they never showed any problems when I had them apart from being nervous and having poorly tummies.

They didn't have a cough, or runny eyes and I never noticed them scratching their ears either - they didn't go out of their room or meet my cats so I am certain they did not catch anything from their stay with me.

its just one of those circumstances Dawn where I don't think you can blame anyone for anything.  Could well just be the stress of the move and all the extra attention is taking some getting used to (Bet they didn't get fussed over at the breeders!) as well as not feeling too hot.

Cough is quite often stress related as is the runny eyes.  They probably need time to settle too ;)
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2007, 12:50:50 PM »
Just about every cat probably has a coronavirus antibody level did they tell you what yours were fro the bloody tests?

Jackie, so sorry, but I agree with Sara (madkitty) - who helped me enormously recently when I had a scare with one of my oldies Zeta and then my kitten Gwynnie, and FIP, who incidentally tested positive for the coronavirus with very high antibodies of 2,500. That was nearly a month ago now and she's doing fine now, not on meds anymore. I have a multicat household and believe that the coronavirus has been through at least 5 of them.

Although I knew a lot of the theory about FIP - when you get the news of these high anitbodies all that goes out the window and you immediately think the worst - I know I did, but when you know that many cats carry the coronavirus with absolutely no symptoms, or mild symptoms, doesnt mean they will develop FIP. So hopefully its just exposure to the coronavirus, and its likely its going back and forth between the two of them as it sounds like they are very close - spend a lot of time washing each other etc?

This is one of the best sites about FIP http://www.dr-addie.com/ - Dr Addie does a lot of research into FIP and her site is really comprehensive.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2007, 12:49:46 PM »
Just out of curiosity... how old are this duo?

If they are over 2 then (IMHO) I think its very unlikely to be FIP and just coronavirus exposure  (and if not trichy).  The age groups most susceptible to FIP are under 2 yrs and over 10.

If they have FIP then by the sounds of symptoms it would be wet kind which would show distended abdomen and by that stage they only have days / weeks left.  There is no definitive test for FIP.  Bloods only test for the number of coronavirus anitbodies in the system, which as I mentioned before every cat has.  In some cases a very high marker can also be interpreted by vets as FIP but that may not necessarily be the case at all.

The only test that can be 80-90% more helpful is to withdraw fluid from the abdomen to try to identify which strain of the coronavirus was the problem.  They check for colour and protein markers amongst other things.  This however doesn't help any really as in order to do this test the cat must be showing full blown FIP symtoms by which time they only have days left.

Also as Lesley says it would be very unusual to have them both develop full blown FIP.  They could be coronavirus carriers and suffer from bouts of diahhorea throughout their life.  Your problem would be if introducing another cat as you wouldn't know when they were 'shedding' or not so therefore (if it were me) I couldn't risk introducing another cat.

It is a really confusing and difficult condition to deal with Jackie and I would try to gather as many facts from your vet as possible and discuss the various options talked about today.

Good luck in the tests and keep us posted.  We have all our fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2007, 12:39:49 PM »
To be honest this is rather shocking to me reading through as they never showed any problems when I had them apart from being nervous and having poorly tummies.

They didn't have a cough, or runny eyes and I never noticed them scratching their ears either - they didn't go out of their room or meet my cats so I am certain they did not catch anything from their stay with me.
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #132 on: December 18, 2007, 12:28:21 PM »
I, like Desley, did not think there was a conclusive test for FIP, have your Vets given a definitive diagnosis Jackie.

This link may be of interest to you.

http://www.moggies.co.uk/articles/fip.html

It also seems strange that both of them should contract FIP as most articles states that it is quite rare for a cat to mutate the FIP strain of coronavirus (only 3% according to the above article.)  It also states that if it is FIP rather than coronavirus, that FIP is always fatal which seems strange as your Vet says that they have had cats recover.

I have been fortunate in that I have never had to deal with this awful condition, so my comments are all based on articles I have read.  With regard to Trichomoniasis, I feel that this is what Tarka has had/has.  His symptoms are very similar to this.  He was not tested, as at the time he was in hospital he did get stressed; we managed to rule everything else out and my Vet explained that if he did come back positive there is no treatment anyway, just time.

I think MadKittyRescue's comments are very valid and worth acting upon.

So sorry I cannot offer any more help and that you are having such troubles with these two babes; we fall in love with them so quickly and they can break our hearts so easily.

Sending lots of love and positive thoughts to all four of you.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #131 on: December 18, 2007, 12:20:31 PM »
This seems to be quite a good article

http://www.moggies.co.uk/articles/fip.html

but I donit like the bit about the FELV vaccination as it is part of the routine kitten vaccination which most cats have.

Sending positive vibes to Coco and Simba and of course to you and John

Take care and good luck
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #130 on: December 18, 2007, 12:01:12 PM »
I think the breeder said they've been tested for Trichomonas (sp) and they came back clear but she did say it's hit and miss whether it show's up or not so it may be worth having done again.  I think it sounds like exposure to the Corona Virus more than anything, I know whilst at Dawn's their tummies weren't distended or anything but not sure how the blood test work and whether they can show up definitive of FIP.  They've had problems with their tummies from being kittens and the only tests they didn't have done were the blood tests.  The breeder has been informed and I've told her I will be having a chat to Sean about it as well.  Fingers crossed the treatment will work and that it is exposure to the Corona Virus rather than full blown FIP.  I'll speak to you later Jackie  :hug:

Meant to add Jackie, I've been onto my vets and asked them to fax all the info through onto yours, hopefully this will help  :hug:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 12:02:14 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #129 on: December 18, 2007, 12:00:42 PM »
I am so sorry to hear this and hope that the treatment regime works for Simba and Coco.

:hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #128 on: December 18, 2007, 11:30:04 AM »
Jackie so sorry for the problems but perhaps with a lot of prayers things may get better, I would go with Mad Kittys idea and test for the other stuff it may be the christmas miracle you need

Hugs and our thoughts are with you

Liz and the Clan cats and Dogs :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Jackie D

• Adult Cat
« Reply #127 on: December 18, 2007, 11:19:15 AM »
Thank you everyone :'(

I have taken note (madkittyrescue) of what you said and will ask the vet today when I go to get their food.  Also Sheryl, yes the original breeder has been informed DD spoke to her last night.

We have had our medicine this morning and are presently sleeping quietly. (all wrapped around eachother) :'(

Love
Jackie, John, Simba Coco
xxxx :'( :'( :'( :'(

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #126 on: December 18, 2007, 11:18:48 AM »
Really sorry to hear this Jackie  :hug:       I've only just caught up on this thread.

Have they said for definate that it has gone to full blown FIP or just showing signs of exposure to a Coronavirus?

If the poo sample came back clear... ask them to re-test for Trichomonas. (spelling!?!)   You have to specifically ask for the test as its not done as standard.  Cost for the test is around £40 (well it is up here)

It seems to be rife with certain breeders and can show up no signs on a regular poo test but can be mistaken for FIP / Coronavirus .

Just about every cat probably has a coronavirus antibody level did they tell you what yours were fro the bloody tests?

Treatment for this is Metradizonal (spelling?!!)... but Stomorgyl contains adequate doses for 10-12mg per kg.  A 10 day course of this will start to show signs of improvement if it is Trichomonas.  Maybe worth speakign to your vet to see if that would help???  could be worth a try?

We've been down this road with rescued pedigrees quite a lot in recent years.

Good Luck with tests, etc.  Really hope that they start to show signs of improvement soon.

Sxx    :hug:

All bits crossed the vets are wrong and this is true. It's worth a try. I pray that they do not have F*P . Hugs to Simba & CoCo xxxxxx

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #125 on: December 18, 2007, 10:54:13 AM »
Really sorry to hear this Jackie  :hug:       I've only just caught up on this thread.

Have they said for definate that it has gone to full blown FIP or just showing signs of exposure to a Coronavirus?

If the poo sample came back clear... ask them to re-test for Trichomonas. (spelling!?!)   You have to specifically ask for the test as its not done as standard.  Cost for the test is around £40 (well it is up here)

It seems to be rife with certain breeders and can show up no signs on a regular poo test but can be mistaken for FIP / Coronavirus .

Treatment for this is Metradizonal (spelling?!!)... but Stomorgyl contains adequate doses for 10-12mg per kg.  A 10 day course of this will start to show signs of improvement if it is Trichomonas.  Maybe worth speakign to your vet to see if that would help???  could be worth a try?

We've been down this road with rescued pedigrees quite a lot in recent years.

Good Luck with tests, etc.  Really hope that they start to show signs of improvement soon.

Sxx    :hug:

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2007, 10:37:56 AM »
Jackie,

I really hope the regime works for these two, as I’m sure they are very happy with you and I know that they’ve made their way into your hearts.

Fingers crossed and our thoughts are with you.

:hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2007, 10:16:41 AM »
OMG Jackie  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

:( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I have gone cold and teary at those 3 little letters. They mean so much to me.  :censored:F :censored:I :censored:P :censored:.

Positive thoughts and loads of love coming their way xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(Des knows how I feel (Des  :hug:))

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #122 on: December 18, 2007, 09:20:20 AM »
Oh no, I am so very sorry to read this, life is so cruel at times.  With your love and TLC I really hope that these little ones pull through.

Thinking of you and John, i dont really know what else to say. xxx

Has the breeder that they originally came from been told?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2007, 09:00:49 AM »
Jackie I am so sorry to hear this you will be in my thoughts lets hope this 7 day regime will work for them too

Dawn - check with DiddyDawn or someone who knows about this stuff, try not to worry

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2007, 08:49:05 AM »
Very sorry to hear this Jackie - sending very positive vibes for you all xxx

Can anyone also advise me what I can do to make sure my babes are not at risk - they are not allowed in the foster room and did not meet the siamese, but Doc managed to get in there the other night - bowls, trays etc will be thoroughly disinfected - I must admit I don't really know much about FIP  :(
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2007, 07:40:31 AM »
I really really hate seeing those three letters, I do hope your vets are wrong, as there is no conclusive test for FIP. I will keep you all in my thoughts.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2007, 22:41:48 PM »
I hate to see those intitials, I am so very sorry  :hug: :hug:

I wish  all of you the very best thoughts and this is not a good Christmas present, they are such gorgious cats.

Love to them.

Offline Jackie D

• Adult Cat
« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2007, 22:35:46 PM »
thanks for the info on the sites.  I am now reading everything I can.

our babies have had their first new medication tonight.

We will of course keep you all informed.

Thanks

Jackie
xx

Offline Jackie D

• Adult Cat
« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2007, 22:34:11 PM »
all prayers greatly appreciated.

thank you

Jackie
x

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2007, 22:32:17 PM »
Oh Jackie i am really sorry to hear this , it must be really hard for you and i really pray your vets can help them to get better. :(   :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 21:49:13 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2007, 21:37:49 PM »
OMG this is not the news we were hoping for but by the sounds of things your vets are very much on the ball and very clued up so with lots of love, care, good veterinary care and a little bit of good luck and prayer I'm sure Simbo and Coco will pull through.

Big hugs to all of you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:e
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Jackie D

• Adult Cat
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2007, 21:24:40 PM »
 :'( :'( :'(
Oh My lord, its FIP. I can't believe this has happened.  We are completely gutted.  I hate this.
Our vet today said a few months ago they had exactly the same thing with exactly the same breed (same colour point and everything, how wierd is that) and they tried out strong steroids, strong antibiotics and a very strict prescription diet, and the two they tried it on are much better.  We have had major discussions with our vets (there's three of them) and have decided to try the same.  So for the next 7 days we are going to give it our all and obviously if there is any change for the worse we will then take them to be pts.  Im gutted and I don't know what to say.
Just wanted you all to know, at least now we know what it is....life is so not fair :'( :'(

More updates later

Jackie, John, Simba and Coco
xxxx

Offline Jackie D

• Adult Cat
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2007, 13:06:39 PM »
 :thanks: :hug: :hug: :hug: to you all.  No news as yet, babies spent most of the morning being sicky.  Thanks for your support. We are humming positive vibes like mad here, John and I have just put up our tree and got to say we weren't very enthusiastic about it.  BUT...fingers crossed, and like I said, will keep you all posted.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
 from each of us!
xxxx

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2007, 12:57:08 PM »
So sorry to hear that the little ones are not very well - sending healing vibes for a speedy recovery xxx  :hug: for you and John xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2007, 20:22:23 PM »
Sorry to hear they're still poorly  :(  Hope the blood tests show something which can be easily treated to get these little ones back on track again  :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2007, 19:23:26 PM »
Jackie
 Sending tons and tons of healing positive vibes to these babes. I so hope they get better soon. Poor little darlings.  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: to you and babes xxxxxxx

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2007, 23:20:28 PM »
I hope they soon settle down but I still think some of it is stress related.  It's still early days, a couple of weeks isn't long and having a visit to the vets is bound to stress them out as well but hopefully the blood tests will show up something and at least then you will know.  I mentioned to John today, it may be worth having a word with the vet and asking about getting them on the Hill's a/d along with the James Wellbeloved.  This is a convalescing food, is mild on the tummy and will hopefully get some weight on them.   Keeping everything crossed that things will improve.  Jackie, I mentioned to John today about Lacto B but couldn't remember the name of it  :shy:   This may be worth trying as well, a lot of people have had a good outcome with using this  :hug:

Link to CatChat