Author Topic: RIP little Portia xx (Portia's Eyesight)  (Read 6685 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Portia's Eyesight
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 13:39:43 PM »
Lots of love and thoughts for Portia  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 13:24:11 PM »
poor babe, that sounds awful, hope the antibiotics start of work soon

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 13:21:27 PM »
Just back from vets.  He says she seems to have a general infection which has caused some bleeding in the eye and also a chest infection.  He says he is pretty certain her eyesight is OK as her pupils reacted when he examined.  He gave her a long lasting antibiotic and some drops for her eyes.  If she starts to eat properly and sems to be improving she goes back in a week, but if there is no improvement in a couple of days I'm to take her back.  Pleas send positive vibes to her to get well as I am really worried abouit her.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 10:50:39 AM »
This happened to my mum's cat, Sukie when she was 6 months old. She had a happy 12 years and was a big purrball who liked nothing better than spending the evening on mum's lap being groomed - then over to dads lap where she loved getting a good, hard scratch. If I visited, she would go upstairs to my old room and wait on the bed for me  ;D (she slept on my pillow as a kitten  :Luv2::evillaugh: - it's so sad though  :'(
Sukie's condition caused her retinas to come away and didn't cause her any pain or other illnesses. The main thing was not moving furniture etc so they have a mental map of the house.
Just as well to get it checked as some conditions are reversible.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline le chat noir

• Senior Cat
  • Whiskers now at the bridge & Phoebe currently AWOL
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 10:47:03 AM »
sending lots of  :hug: to you and Portia. 

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 10:33:21 AM »
Thanks for all your help.  I'm trying to get an appointment today for her.  If there is something wrong with her eyes, it just means she will be even more precious to us.  I'll let you know what happens.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 07:13:35 AM »
Hope all goes well at the vet's and hug to little Portia :hug:

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 22:22:13 PM »
My Minnie is blind in her right eye, and some of Portia's behaviour sounds similar to Minnie.  If Portia can't see, it doesn't need to be a total disaster - Minnie enjoys the same quality of life as my two other cats.  Although we have to make some small adjustments for her, like remembering that she can't be approached on her right or she will get scared and lash out, and being patient when she causes a queue on the stairs because she needs to rub her face on every banister post on the way down so that later she can sniff her way back up, it really hardly makes a difference. Hopefully the cause of Portia's apparent blindness isn't anything that will cause her any other problems - good luck  :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 21:58:09 PM »
Ahh can't offer any advice I'm afraid other that to get her to the vet for a check up.

Good luck and big hugs to you both  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 21:46:20 PM »
Nothing useful to add I'm afraid, just wanted to wish you well for the vet visit  :hug: 

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 19:02:29 PM »
Fingers crossed for her.
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 19:01:20 PM »
I'd definitely see the vet - I think Anchor road is a referral clinic with everything that opens and shuts, or so I was told. Anyway, sounds like she is not a happy girl so a quick trip to the vet will not go astray...

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 18:59:23 PM »
It sounds to me that she cant see and I would have her checked by a vet tomorrow .I wonder if this is why she is hiding?

Hope your vet knows about eyes cos my London vet had an eye vet in two days a week.

How old is Portia and how long have her eyes ben like this?

Hope all goes well at the vets, a blind cat can cope fine once they know their patch and get confident  :hug: :hug:

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
RIP little Portia xx (Portia's Eyesight)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 18:51:44 PM »
I'm sorry to be a pain again but I need a bit of advice.  I've noticed that Portia's pupils are fully dilated all the time, even in daylight, when Ollies are slits.  Also I noticed today that when I drop a little treat i.e. a bit of ham, on the floor, if it doesn't land right in front of her she doesn't seem to see it.  I'm seriously beginning to wonder if she is able to see properly.  The trouble is, she seems to prefer to spend nearly all day behind the TV even though she's been here for 8 weeks now and only comes out for food.  She did begin to come out but then, for some reason which we can't puzzle out, she just stays in there.

Any comments would be welcome, but I' ll be booking her in to see our vet.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 16:56:16 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Link to CatChat