Author Topic: Fleas - help!  (Read 4445 times)

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
Re: Fleas - help!
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 19:23:07 PM »
Yeah, I've heard stuff too, that's why I said check with the vet as I can't remember quite what "stuff" I've heard.

I tend to use Combo on Smokey and normal on Josh. I'm more finniky about the Corporal as he is persian and has a chronic flea-allergy (which most certainly isn't a good 'combo'  :evillaugh: )

I'll go now...
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 19:07:50 PM »
I did hear from my vet that they were stopping to recommend the combo as they had too many cats coming back in with side effects.  Can't remember what they are... and I used the combo for a while on my lot... but took them off when we learnt about the number of cases of affected cats.
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 18:08:06 PM »
Frontline is non systemic, as in it isnt stored in the internal organs. It is stored in the sebacous <sp> glands in the skin. Therefore fleas dont have to bite the cat to die  :evillaugh:

As the house has been sprayed theres no need to waste money on the combo  ;)

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 17:48:17 PM »
Hi Jools, sorry this ain't gonna be much help but whatever you do, don't be tempted to frontline again soon. This is extremely dangerous. If it hasn't gone on right, you will have to fend them off with a comb and treat the house not the cat till four weeks have passed. Frontline works via the bloodstream so be super careful.

It maybe worth trying Frontline Combo next month. This is a stronger version (or might be different chemicals, not sure) that works on the animal and its surroundings. You'll need to get a prescription for this or buy it from the vet's. I'd be inclined to buy it from the vet first time, to check it's ok on your cat if there's any history of illness/sensitivity.

Indorex is pretty good on household fleas.

Good luck xx
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline jools

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 17:24:57 PM »
oh, thanks for all your fabby advice. I'm taking daisy back to the vet for a post op check tomorrow; I'll ask his advice on the fleas. I must say, I had a good rake a wee while ago and couldn't see anything in her coat.

I used the acclaim on every room in the house - even the ones with hard floors. Goodpoint about  the tapeworm; she was wormed recently, but I'll ask the vet about it tomorrow.

Thanks again folks.
love from Julie, Fifi and Daisy

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 17:09:35 PM »
Not personally but others on Purrs have, think Lesley kitten rescue is one of them  :-:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 17:06:43 PM »

Then you'll be pleased to know there is a treatment that works in 15 minutes! Its called capstar and vetuk sell it  ;D

have you used this milly??  seems quick to work for tablet form!!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 16:58:52 PM »
The only flea 'killer' that we have come across that works almost instantly (within 24hrs) is Zodiac spray and we use this on heavily infested cats who come into the shelter to 'get rid' as quickly as possible for the well being of the cat

Then you'll be pleased to know there is a treatment that works in 15 minutes! Its called capstar and vetuk sell it  ;D

Jools, did you spray every room, including those with hard floors?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 13:22:30 PM »
Hi Jools

You have Frontlined your cats and used Acclaim on the house but still found fleas on Daisy 3 days later? 

Mmmmm well that normally does the trick for us so could I ask if you did it properly? (pity there isn't an emoticon to show me ducking while you try and swipe at me for such a suggestion lol).  I know some cats are good at wriggling so much that it can be almost impossible applying the spot on properly (I do my best with our Billy Whiz but it's hit and miss).  Also really need to carefully follow instructions for spraying the house paying particular attention to pet bedding and nooks and crannies e.g. carpet meeting skirting boards.

I would look at instructions on spot on to see when it would be safe to apply another dose unless of course the fleas are already dying which might well be the case as you seem to be finding them easily on Daisy. In fact, rereading your post, I'd be extra careful with Daisy as she has just been spayed and I'd ring the vet for advice.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 12:48:08 PM »
unfortunately where you have pets that go outside your going to have this problem!

It is also possible for indoor cats to get fleas as visitors or even yourself can bring them in.

I learnt this one the hard way  :tired:

We frontline every month now - as they say once bitten, twice shy and I reckon I was bitten ALOT more than once  :doh:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 12:39:20 PM »
unfortunately where you have pets that go outside your going to have this problem!

It is also possible for indoor cats to get fleas as visitors or even yourself can bring them in. I get loads of phone calls from people who have indoor cats and are shocked to find their cat/s has fleas.

Please also remember if an animal has fleas it will most certainly have tapeworm.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 12:24:05 PM »
ahhh  fleas!   unfortunately where you have pets that go outside your going to have this problem!  :(

Personally speaking I use Frontline for flea deterrent and wouldn't touch any of the stuff you buy in the supermarket / pet store.

Spot on are great deterrent but if you think you have a particularly big build up go for the frontline spray rather than the spot on.  Remember tho that it doesn't kill them right away but over a period of a few days.  Regularly bone comb them too to lift them out of the cats coat.

As they always say for every flea you find on a cat you will find 1000's more in your home as they live in your soft furnishings and jump onto the cat, dog, you to feed and hope off again!   :sick:   So treating the house regularly is very important.  Where you have animals that go outside the fleas can hop  on your pet for a ride into your home and then set up house!   :-:

The only flea 'killer' that we have come across that works almost instantly (within 24hrs) is Zodiac spray and we use this on heavily infested cats who come into the shelter to 'get rid' as quickly as possible for the well being of the cat.  You can also buy this for the house too.  We purchase from our Wholesaler so not sure if you can buy it at the pet store, etc.  You'd have to look.

Unfortunately it is just one of those things that does with having cats / dogs that go outside.  Regular treatment of the animals and your home should keep it under control tho.

Hugs & purrs

Sarah

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 10:33:29 AM »
I'm no expert but I'd probably use a flea comb until you can front line again (somebody who knows better please feel free to correct me!!)

Offline jools

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 10:20:32 AM »
Thanks for your reply. As i mentioned, i treated the cats with Frontline - learned my lesson with rubbish over the counter stuff years ago. I know not to use dog stuff on cats too. So, you don't think I'm going to have to frontline her again?

might have another go with the acclaim spray - thanks for that tip.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 10:14:54 AM »
Right fleas  :sick:

Firstly it depends on the products that you use.
The only good flea products that are really reliable are the sort you get from the vets. You don't have to buy them from the vets - vets UK are cheaper and if you order via one of the charities (links) you will be giving them a donation.
Just because a thing is a spot on don't make it any good.
The same goes for household sprays - I don't think you would find anyone on here that recommends bob martin stuff for example.

Do not consider using a dog flea tratment on a cat, they contain different chemicals and can prove deadly.

Fleas tend to be animal specific so dog fleas prefer dogs, cats cats, people people etc. Your cats could well be bringing them in from outside but if they are all treated , one bite and its goodbye fleas.
Hedgehogs are a good source of fleas and ticks (though I believe the fleas to prefer dogs to cats).

If you're heating has just kicked in then you might have awakened the dormant fleas around your house, they do have a habit of crawling out of the woodwork!

Offline jools

• Adult Cat
Fleas - help!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 09:38:50 AM »
Last Friday, I noticed fleas on one of my dogs, much to my horror. I immediately treated both dogs, the cats (with frontline) and the house. I was petting Daisy cat this morning and saw a bloody big flea strolling across her cheek, and another when I had a look in her fur.

So, my question is this; what do i do now? Does spot on (which i usually use to prevent rather than cure) take this long to work? Do i need to wait, or treat then again?

I can't see anything on the dogs, but they were treated with a different spot on (one that does all parasites).

Also, daisy was spayed this week - maybe she picked them up from another animal.

Please help....the thought of fleas in my house is making me feel sick.

Link to CatChat