Author Topic: Ops in oldies - opinions  (Read 8995 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: Ops in oldies - opinions
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 22:12:25 PM »
My previous vet (who did last year's dental) always advises a preop blood test but never insisted.  I agree though that it should be down to the individual cat as they all differ so much regardless of age

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 22:10:54 PM »
For an older cat I think fluids are the most important and Ducha was put on a drip even though I think he is young at 13.

Kocka was around 18 when she had to have a very large cyst removed and no fluids, which I now know was not good fror her.

I am not sure that pre-op bloods help but post -op ones maybe, cos Kocka developed kidney probs after a thyroid operation and she was fine before.

I think this is quite a complicated subject and it seems that even vets do not agree on it.

I think your vet is very reasonably priced Desley cos it cost more than that for Ducha without bloods!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 22:08:07 PM »
I can understand it in Dragans case, but I nearly said something when they said about not doign ops on old cats without - poor Rolos might only be 10 (although admittedly could be older) - not really an oldie!!
I agree with you actually BC, I think it should be done on the cat - PEbbles was only 10, but my vet did put her on a drip before and during her amputation, she was a sickly cat though. I have had 13yo's go through dentals without either and be fine - and ironically, just after Boxing day last year, the same vets did a dental on a 13yo foster without either!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 22:04:57 PM »
Sensitive one for me tonight!  I think that everything possible should be done to ensure the cat is as safe as possible whilst anaesthetised.  Dragan had a dental last year, didn't have the drip but did have the preop bloods.  I think my vet is erring on the side of caution this time because he has had such a dreadful month (Dragan that is, not the vet!)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 21:53:23 PM »
Bob was 18 when he had his last dental and they didn't do all that sort of nonsense - should be assessed on a cat by cat basis - his bloods were those of a 7 year old so they didn't feel it necessary.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Ops in oldies - opinions
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 21:49:22 PM »
Fortunately, Rolo doesn't need his dental just yet, he only has one bad tooth, but the rescues vet wont operate on an older cat without bloods and a drip - while I personally agree, it made the quote for a dental £118, and that was for between one and four teeth out, which to me is quite expensive, and I would imagine it would put a lot of people off, as their policy is, no bloods or drip, no op (and I suspect this is for all ops, not just dentals). I have the estimate downstairs, so can work out jsut how much it adds on tomorrow, but another thing to bear in mind is we have a 10% discount, so Joe Bloggs would have been quoted more. I said I was glad that they do pre-op bloods, and the receptionist/vet nurse said that she thought fluids were more important. To me, I would prefer to check their organs can withstand it and they aren't going to die on the table than give them something to help their organs, and I have only ever had one cat put on a drip for an op, and she was one of the youngest, I have had older cats than her have dentals without it. What is everyones opinion, do you think they should be forced upon you, and if you had to chose one of the two, which do you think is most important and why?
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat