Author Topic: fleas  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Re: fleas
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 14:44:11 PM »
mary seems to be coverd in what looks like dandruff white flecks  and is molting quite a bit just winter coat ?  cant see any insects any where or red dots

Ok i know what this is probably !!
Could be something called "walking dundruff" and that would make YOU itch !

You need Stronghold to get rid of it -
Or better still if you take Mary to the vets he can put some of this white stuff under the microscope just to check

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 14:39:36 PM »
mary seems to be coverd in what looks like dandruff white flecks  and is molting quite a bit just winter coat ?  cant see any insects any where or red dots

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 14:39:29 PM »
If there's no actual bites but a rash instead then it could be your washing powder.  I've never been allergic to toiletries but started to get a really big rash on both legs that disappeared at night  :shify:  I hadn't changed washing powder but rang the manufacturer and apparently the formula has changed recently hence my new found allergic reaction to it.  The formula was changed to allow it to wash at 30 degrees which I see a lot of the manufacturers are now doing so it could well be your brand have changed formula too.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 14:31:59 PM »
Are you just itching with no rash or bite? Fleas would give you red spots where they bite  ;D

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 13:04:16 PM »
Fleas are an all round year thing now - because the weather is so much warmer and we keep our homes warm in the winter.

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 12:56:15 PM »
I read an article saying that due to the damp wet conditions over the past few months alot of 'biting' insects have been able to survive meaning the chances of getting bit are massively increased.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 12:26:04 PM »
Here's something you can try. If Mary goes up on the window ledge, or other similar surface, you may notice tiny blackish dots. You can also spot these with a flea comb through the fur or on her bedding. Pop a drop of water on the dots and they may well dissolve into blood. If that's the case, it's flea poo, thus, fleas are afoot!

I've heard that fleas are slowly becoming resistant to frontline but I'm not sure how true it is. Can't remember if I read it on here or not. Indorex is really good though and the two used together really should be good enough to rid you of the critters.

good idea with the water thing - thats what my vet does. He rubs their coats so that any dush or flea dirt falls onto the white table and then sprays it with water !!

Frontline - funny enough i was talking to someone yesterday who was saying that his cats have built up a resistance to it (or rather the fleas have)
It might be aswell to change to either Stronghold or Advanage

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 09:10:36 AM »
Here's something you can try. If Mary goes up on the window ledge, or other similar surface, you may notice tiny blackish dots. You can also spot these with a flea comb through the fur or on her bedding. Pop a drop of water on the dots and they may well dissolve into blood. If that's the case, it's flea poo, thus, fleas are afoot!

I've heard that fleas are slowly becoming resistant to frontline but I'm not sure how true it is. Can't remember if I read it on here or not. Indorex is really good though and the two used together really should be good enough to rid you of the critters.

Sounds more like a traditional washing-powder-style allergy to me though. Hope you figure it out soon!  ;D
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: Rosie and Ruby x
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 01:16:44 AM »
Hi BC, not sure why your itching  :-: but if it was fleas, you'd definitely know cause you'd see them !!
I had Flea infestation only once, and I remember coming out of the shower to get a towel.
in the space of 10 seconds of walking on the carpet, I had 27 fleas on my leg's :wow: >:(
reason I remember; 1 - I counted each one as I put them in Very Hot Water :evillaugh: (cause the little sod's r hard to kill by squashing)
and 2 - Once youv'e had a Flea infestation "you Never Forget It "  >:( >:( >:(

unless you are allergic to something else ?? you could try anti-hestamines to see if itching stop's ??

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
fleas
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 01:05:48 AM »
ok how do i tell if i have a flea out break
i have kept marys front line up to date and she hasnt been scratching any more than the odd ear scratch  How ever i am starting to itch for no reason and still unsure if i have found all and any places she has peed could this be the cause if any ?

Indorex and a uv light on order  as no where round here to buy any thing  :censored:

by the way shes geting more confident now and currently sleeping on the arm of sofa rather than a hiding hole which is huge leap  :Luv:

Link to CatChat