Author Topic: What's your favourite age for a cat?  (Read 4989 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: What's your favourite age for a cat?
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2007, 11:24:09 AM »
I love them all but prefer vet fees of Billy Whiz (age 4) to Thomas (age 18)  ;)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2007, 10:26:01 AM »
Surprisingly, my vote was for oldies!! I have only adopted one cat under the age of 10, and only had her for 8 months, so decided then to only adopt oldies. As I foster, I get to experience cats of all ages, and I know that I would never go out and choose a kitten, although some of the adults I have had have been lovely, but they have all easily found homes, unlike my two 14yo's. It can be hard with the health issues, but I find the rewards of knowing they have had a loving home life and not died in a rescue outweigh that.
Please spay your cat

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2007, 00:07:57 AM »
Of course age doesnt matter i love em all
but I have chosen Kittens - theres nothing like a naughty ickle kitten and i love to wrap them in a blanket and rock them to sleep (yes sad i know)

I do exactly the same with my two and im a man  :-[
pippin who is 12 weeks old is a right baby and lays on her back in mine or my gfs arms  :Luv:

I love treating them as babies - when i wrap them in blankets i rock them to sleep while gently patting them !!
My Freddy still likes to be rocked to sleep although he doesnt like being wrapped up anymore.

I should have had more kids really  :rofl: :rofl:
1 child - 11 cats LOL

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2007, 18:59:29 PM »
Give me an ancient old Tom everytime

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2007, 18:49:54 PM »
Had to put love em all cos although I have 4 cats now aged 6, 10, and 14x2 I have only had one cat before and beautiful Kocka lived to age 20 and I had her 10 yrs. So no experience of a cat under 4, Misa and I love cats so much I think I would love em all  ;D

Offline tez2384

• Senior Cat
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2007, 18:36:50 PM »
but I have chosen Kittens - theres nothing like a naughty ickle kitten and i love to wrap them in a blanket and rock them to sleep (yes sad i know)

I do exactly the same with my two and im a man  :-[
pippin who is 12 weeks old is a right baby and lays on her back in mine or my gfs arms  :Luv:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2007, 18:16:47 PM »
I do love cats at any stage of life, but I voted for naughty young adult because that's my favourite age group. My youngest is five, and has got a good balance of wanting to play and wanting to sleep! ;) I've had three out of the four I've got from kittens and wouldn't have missed the experience for anything. :) Parsley came to live with me when she was around five and I don't think the bond between us was any less due to her not knowing me from kittenhood.

Eh, they're all great!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2007, 17:51:36 PM »

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2007, 16:13:02 PM »
Any age is wonderful, although when looking for a cat I get quite frightened about the age 9+ as I am not very good on the emotional side if they took ill and had to go to the bridge, I know this can happen at any age but you  presume that a younger cat is going to be with you longer don't you, I know that sounds selfish but it's the way I feel.   I usually go for about the 2/3 yrs mark or thats the way its turned out when we were looking to home a furbabe.  That said we had Bob from a kitten oh dont think my heart could cope with that stage again  :rofl: :rofl: Max was 3 when we got him.
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 16:00:20 PM »
Ive put Love em all but must confess i also have a soft spot for the oldies  ;)

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 15:48:16 PM »
I'm quite glad about the way this is going. What you're all kind of saying is that each stage of a cat's life brings rewards. That's what I think I needed to hear. It's so disheartening when everyone walks past the oldies and asks where the kittens are.

Even the "kitten camp" have agreed on here that they're not easy. I'm not sure everyone who walks in to the shelter realise that.

Thanks for all the responses so far  ;D

Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: Rosie and Ruby x
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 15:05:07 PM »
In all the stages of Furbabes. From Kitten to Old age, they have adorable quality's ;)

I Love them All ;D

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2007, 14:38:01 PM »
'Love them all' seems to be winning! and thats what I voted.

I've had some of mine from kittens, and others I've adopted as older adults, including Amber who was in her 20s when I took her on, Milly who was 15, Poppy who was 10, Crystal who was 12, Suzie who was 10 (all now at the Bridge  :( )  and Jasper 12 and Zeta 13. Have a full range from 15 weeks - to 20 yrs old at the mo!  ;D

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2007, 13:57:39 PM »
I am an absolute sucker for kittens, especially ones with spots  :evillaugh:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 13:30:14 PM »
Love them all, but if i have to choose in a rescue home it has to be golden oldies ;), Jim was 17 when i saw him in wodgreen animal shelter last Feb, and even though he was deaf and had few health issues, i couldnt resist not having him, he was at centre for 4 years but as soon as i brought him home he settled in as he has lived here for ever,he stole my heart ;). I lost him to cancer, and i was going to adopt another oldie and serve him but , the reason i got phobe which is only 10,was because the rescue found it hard t rehome her ,being aggressive??And at the time they had so many B/W cats ,so we decided to come home together :) :Luv:,I think in rescue centres you find many people looking for kittens or younger cats, i went to our local rescue home on sunday and as i was walking around i noticed most people talking to carer were asking if they have kittens available? And i thought to my self all these oldies were young not long ago , and now people dont stop even to look at them  :'(?

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2007, 12:46:48 PM »
Of course I love them all too, but when it comes to adopting one I prefer a bit grown ones over a fuzzy wuzzy itsy bitsy kitten.  Of course baby kittens are amazingly cute, but I like to see their personalities and it is usually formed and become more ovbious after a few month.  Oliver was 4 months, Hobbes was 5 months when I got them and I could see they were just the right type of kitties for me.  When we were looking for one this time (until I saw Oliver) I wouldn't have minded an adult either but Cris was against it, he thought it was too difficult for them to get used to us... well it took enough effort to convince him that we NEEDED a cat in our home, I couldn't push too much...  anyhow we made a right choice and all happy, Cris included!! ;)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 12:34:55 PM »
I like them all but I know for a fact I won't ever have another kitten!

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
I'm another all.

Kittens are cute and funny but naughty and get under your feet.
golden oldies ar great and have fantastic characters but I worry about their health too much.

so I suppose that leaves middle agers as being quieter, have good characters and (hopefully) not too many health concerns.

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 12:23:23 PM »
i think it depends on the cat of course.

i have a huge soft spot for kittens though, i love teaching them and training them :) charlie is about 10 months now and had him since he was 8 weeks, it's been amazing watching him grow up, i have a pic of him every month since and the rate he's growing at :wow: he's huge now compared to the tiny kitten he was :rofl:

i love naughty kitten behaviour but yes, it is verrrry tiring :rofl:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 12:22:09 PM »
I love them all  :Luv:  I love the boys to bits and I don't think it's because they are young it's just because they are themselves  :Luv:  Tiggy, the ultimate princess was almost 19 when she died and she was the best cat ever  :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 12:19:50 PM »
I put middle-aged as thats what mine are now but I will love them just as much when they are using zimmer frames  :evillaugh:

I love cute kittens but doubt I will ever get any with so many hard to home adults in shelters  :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 12:15:43 PM »
So did I, I've had/have cats of all ages. I've had cats from kittens into old age (My Sally and Oli), Suzie's now 17 and also adopted young cats as well with Alfie being about two and Frankie 3 when I adopted them, they each have their own lovable characters.

Cheers

Leigh
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 12:16:27 PM by LeighK »
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 12:02:48 PM »
I've put love them all, I've never had the joy of kittens, but have had Max since he was about 2 (he's nearly 9), and he's always a joy.  Still as playful now as ever, and as naughty as ever lol  :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 11:40:30 AM »
See how I'm still not used to this whole internet lark. I've added an option for young adults. Sorry if you've already voted

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 11:37:38 AM »
I got Mavey when she was 10 and had the pleasure of her company for 6 years before I lost her to Cancer...she single pawdedly sold me on oldies  :Luv:  :Luv: I do love all kitties [goes without saying], but if I was to have another addition to the household, it'd be a golden oldie every time  :wow:

ccmacey

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 11:34:36 AM »
I do like the playfullness its just when your falling over them all the time.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 11:31:47 AM »
I chose Middle Age Moggie.

I’ve enjoyed having the two foster kittens in the house but they have tons of energy and personally I’m not sure I’ll ever choose a kitten, whether they choose me or not is a different story.

Lirael & Smoke are around 3 and 2 years old and lovely but Penguin who is 10 is everyone’s favourite – he just wants cuddles!

So I favour the older cats but I’ve never had a golden oldie! Give Penguin time though and I’m sure he’ll still be everyone’s favourite (though Lirael is my favorite).

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 11:28:52 AM »
I love cats of all age but I can say things start to get better when they are about 1, when the naughtyness has settled down lol.

Now you see, I like that naughtiness!  ;D  Mosi is still in full naughty mode coming up to 2!

ccmacey

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 11:28:07 AM »
I love cats of all age but I can say things start to get better when they are about 1, when the naughtyness has settled down lol.

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 11:27:42 AM »
Hmmm, I suppose I was lumping them with the middle group. I'm sure one of the moderators can put an extra choice in though!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 11:26:36 AM »
I don't know how to answer this one as I've loved Jaffa at every age he's been  :rofl:  I've had all my cats as kittens and just love them more as they get older, but that's probably more down to attachment to them than their age.

I love them at all ages.  Oldies are lovely and deserve homes, but that doesn't mean I specifically like oldies more than middle aged cats.  Kittens are lovely in their own way but they grow into cats and develop more purrsonality as they get older.  I do like a lively purrsonality and active cats which in a way pushes me towards younger cats, but then there's the lovely Lucas who Dawn is fostering - a 10yr old who is as purrfect as they come  :Luv:

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 11:24:05 AM »
How about tennagers? (aged from about 18 months to 3 years?)

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
What's your favourite age for a cat?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 11:18:53 AM »
I was going to respond to the Covcats topic in "Rescue and Rehoming" but then I thought I'd like to start a poll. I have to say I'm a sucker for Golden Oldies myself. They seem to return the love you gave them when they were too busy chasing things to care. Don't get me wrong, I think all cats and kittens are wonderful (my two are 2 and 12 years old and I love them both dearly) but I'm a sucker for a senior kittizen.

I don't think people realise how rewarding they can be and I like to spread the word!

Votes please.... ;D

Link to CatChat