Author Topic: Cat Asthma  (Read 4294 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Cat Asthma
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 09:12:54 AM »
Fingers crossed for her Angie, I know how awful it is to be in that situation, and I hope she proves you wrong.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 16:26:57 PM »
I feel for you angie, its horrible when you know the time is comming. I always feel so guilty but at some point afterwards i feel good for letting them go peacefully.

Tickles to Pepsi

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 16:42:54 PM »
I hope Pepsi has a while with you yet Angie  :hug: :hug:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 15:20:34 PM »
Pepsi had her check up and was a bit better. Its bought her some time but not much, I get the feeling the vet would be willing to pts if I said so. she is currently relaxed and sleeping.
This is the worst part of being a pet owner , having to change your role from nurturer to executioner. Been there before but doesn't get easier. I've just plucked up the courage to book for a booster for one of my two other older cats next week - am dreading anything showing up on them as well.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 18:57:31 PM »
i'm pleased to say that her breathing does seem better at the moment and she has been eating well. So maybe she will be spared for a little while longer - its early days.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 18:01:40 PM »
I hope that Pepsi improves  :hug: :hug:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 12:02:18 PM »
I havnt really any knowledge of asthma in cats but i would assume it would be the same as humans  :Crazy: well aired rooms, extra dusting, vaccuming etc...mind the damp getting to her...

I would defo go with your choice of not giving her a GA, it has its risks normally so with a 16 yr old cat who has asthma you are doing the right thing imo  ;)  :hug:

I agree with Ruth and all the above.

Were you offered tablets ?
We had a couple of cats at the cattery who had asthma and they were on tablets

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 17:09:17 PM »
 :hug:  :hug:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 17:01:30 PM »
Thanks Ruth.

Its daft however ill you think a cat is, it stills comes as a shock when you hear the vet say it.
I even think the asthma thing is his way of giving me a bit of time to come to terms with the decision. Hopefully the steroids will work and the lifeline he has thrown will be great but I think we are coming to the decision that if there is no improvement in the 2 days before the next appointment, it may be time to say goodbye.

At least if her lungs had been full of fluid, we might have a chance to fight the infection...

Lets hope my pessimism is unfounded  :(

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 15:55:29 PM »
I havnt really any knowledge of asthma in cats but i would assume it would be the same as humans  :Crazy: well aired rooms, extra dusting, vaccuming etc...mind the damp getting to her...

I would defo go with your choice of not giving her a GA, it has its risks normally so with a 16 yr old cat who has asthma you are doing the right thing imo  ;)  :hug:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
Cat Asthma
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 11:14:43 AM »
Damn tadpoling foster cats - need to start again.

I have just come back from the vet with my 16 year old Pepsi. Her breathing has always been noisy and many years ago the vet told me it was her nose/throat. Over the years she has been getting worse but the last couple of days its been quite bad and she was trying to be sick last night. She also is not eating as much.

Vet has xrayed her and her lungs are clear but enlarged. They also look dark in the xray which he tells me is a sign of them over working, and she has some air in her digestive tract. So shes on steroids and back now. Back for a check on Thursday if she's ok else sooner.

There are a couple of asthmatic cats on here - is there anything I need to do to make her more comfortable?

As relieved as I am as I was expecting her lungs to be congested or a tumour in there, the xrays have sadly highlighted that her smaller intestines are bunched up together which the vet told me was often a sign of a tumour , though there was no visiblilty of one as yet. So this may be what is behind the reduction of appetite.
Vet says that steroids can also help here a little bit or we could consider an exploratory operation. At 16 and a half, don't think I would put her through this and the vet said the same (though of course a good vet will always tell you that you are making the right decision >:(). Any thoughts on this?

Link to CatChat