Author Topic: Bengals vs. Ragdolls... help me, please!  (Read 7773 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Bengals vs. Ragdolls... help me, please!
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2007, 16:03:34 PM »
Fantastic update on Tom fluffy , He is very determined to suceed isnt he and sure he will continue  to do so  ;D

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2007, 12:38:08 PM »
Same here :Luv:
Caroline xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2007, 10:32:31 AM »
Am glad you have come to a decision, and Tom is happy with it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Fluffy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2007, 22:29:53 PM »
Lynn!  Thanks for asking.

Tom's foot is fantastic and he's workign really hard at getting his mobility back.  He was meant to have intensive (three times a week) physiotherapy once he came out of his cast, but he's doing so well anyway that he doesn't have to go back until he has his splint changed in November.  He all ready has most of his mobility back in his ankle, and just needs to build his muscles up again--bearing in mind he's riding his bike, playing tennis and going on the trampoline despite me yelling at him not to, I don't think it'll be long before he's completely back to normal. 

I'm not proud of him.  Not at all.  He's just lovely and deserves a pat or two on the back, that's all!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2007, 21:53:47 PM »
So pleased you are going to have the Raggie, you are not excite!!  Well we are  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2007, 20:49:32 PM »
we've talked it all over with Tom (who was the one who so wanted a Maine Coon)

:-[  How terrible am I, I forgot who you were Fluffy and was only wondering about Tom just a few days ago.  I remember you just didnt remember your user name  :-[

How is the foot ?

Glad to hear your taking the raggie, They are closer to a maine coon lookwize i think  ;)

Offline Fluffy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2007, 20:40:11 PM »
I'm still longing for the Bengal girls.  They are just gorgeous, and I'd love to have them.  But I don't think they'd be nice for our other cats, and they have to come first. 

The ragdoll boy is H-U-G-E, and very beautiful.  Photos will follow as soon as he's settled in.  Thank you, all, for your help.  And now, Linda, repeat after me:

"My name is Linda and I am a Bengal-aholic!"

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2007, 20:30:18 PM »
Thats fab news  :Luv:  Lots of piccies please  :)

Yes I well and truly put my foot in it I think  :evillaugh:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2007, 20:23:02 PM »
Oh yippee, we want pix, we want pix, as soon as possible (no pressure :rofl:)

Offline Fluffy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2007, 20:21:21 PM »
I love all the interruptions.  Especially where Linda puts her foot in it and announces she's got 11 bengals (ELEVEN!).  How fun was that?

Yep, our cats go out, but we're a mile from the nearest road and we shut the cat flap for the hours of darkness.  And the two bengals are used to going outside, so they're after a home where they'll be able to do the same.

And Desley, I half agreed with you.  I know exactly what you mean.  But these three cats are just so very stunning, we've talked it all over with Tom (who was the one who so wanted a Maine Coon) and he's really keen to have any of them, bless his heart.

We decided this morning.  It's the ragdoll boy.  He shoudl be coming here on Tuesday, if all goes well. 

And no, just in case you ask: I'm not excited at all.  Ha!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2007, 22:50:38 PM »
Yes Ok  :rofl:

Justv to remember that this thread is Fluffy wanted advise whether to get begals or a Ragdoll to fit in with her current fur family, so read down to find the thread stuff and we sorry for interupting  :shify: :shify:

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2007, 22:44:16 PM »
ROFL Gill, will post some pics and stories in the right section and return the post back to its original owner LOL.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2007, 22:30:50 PM »
Whatttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt  ;D ;D

Where did they come from and when did you get them and why havent we seen them and how old are they and do you live in a mansion and isnt your run a bit full now and and and ................ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2007, 22:29:15 PM »
ok ermmmm you should all know Lubo, Lenny, Loki, Nova, Kaiser, Minerva and Dynamite  ;)  I also have Gaia, Rainbow, Roxy and Velvet now  :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2007, 21:32:14 PM »
11...................I only counted 7 at last count  :shify: :shify: :shify:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2007, 21:31:26 PM »
i personally would say no to all 3 - if you are looking for a Maine Coon, I would wait until one is available, not take a different breed cos it is available now - if you take one, and then the most stunning Maine Coon comes along and you can't take both, you could regret it. If you have your heart set on a certain breed, then wait for it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 21:29:07 PM »
Hold it right there - 11 bengals???????  I think an explanation is in order.......... it was something like 7 last i heard?...

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2007, 21:25:15 PM »
Happy to send you any info you need on bengals (I have mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 11!!!!!)

yeah for how long  :evillaugh:

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 21:04:30 PM »
Think I am inclined to agree with the others on this one especially given you have the added complication of introducing bengal adults as opposed to kittens.  I would have a really good chat with the current foster, she is clearly having some issues integrating these bengals into her household and it sounds like you would definitely have some conflict of personalities.

Bengals are a very lively bunch and need stimulation.  When they get bored they tend to get up to no good which can include a bit of bullying of the resident cats!  I guess keeping them separate is an option but I would strongly encourage you to get a breed that really fits in with your current home and cats.

I guess the other issue is there is no way I would let bengals outside to roam freely (maybe I have picked this up wrong, I hope I have).

Happy to send you any info you need on bengals (I have mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 11!!!!!)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 20:11:17 PM »
My birmans modest  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

No I think Franta knows he is a looker and Ducha Wells knows that his place in my bed is now established and woe be tide Franta if he tries to be there too.........................they have a gang mentality and send head messages to each other I reckon   :shify: :shify: Yes they are gentle but Franta loves to clutch whith his claws grrrrrrrrrrrrrr, but he is a cuddlebum  ;D

Sounds like you have a plan  ;D

Offline Fluffy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 20:03:58 PM »
Just to reassure you, I've all ready worked out how we're going to accommodate the new cat(s): our house is big, and divides into two separate houses when required, each with lots of rooms.  So the new cat(s) can settle in without making the old cats feel too stressed or depriving them of their cat-flaps, and then they can all meet on relatively neutral territory and become friends. 

Which will, of course, happen in an instant and all cats will be smiling, purring furry things, with not a hiss between them.  Or something.

Offline Fluffy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 20:00:08 PM »
We used to have a Birman male, and he was fantastic: very gentle, calm, loving and fun.  Not as clever as Siameses, but pretty sparky.  I do miss him. 

Perhaps your Birmans are just slow learners--or very modest, and not letting on how much they're capable of incase you start asking them to do more around the house!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 19:40:44 PM »
From what I have read on here about Bengals , I think the raggie would be the best bet.

I have three male cats and one female and two of males are birman brothers and get on fine but the other male hates both of them, so does the female  :Crazy: :Crazy:

I think every individual cat is different personality wise but raggies are noted to be quite a calm and relaxed breed, mind you so are birmans  :rofl: :rofl:  Noisy little blighters and as for intelligent.............hardly a brain cell between the two of em  :shify: :shify:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 19:38:11 PM »
I would say the Raggie boy sounds the beter option - we have 1 raggie girl a rescue and she lives with 20 ferals and 14 domestics and is fine with them although with strangers she is more than a bit feral in notion if someone picks her up!

Hope you get the perfect addition to your family our cats are still sorting out Sky our 16 week old collie pup, love Jazz our resident JRT and I have to say the black and whites are the most tolerant the others put paw in nose!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 19:31:15 PM »
Remember if you take any of these cats they will need to be confined in the house until they are used to you and their new surroundings. It seems the Bengal female at least, does not take kindly to this. That would set up tensions in the house that would take months, if not years, to resolve. Go with the safe option and have the raggie. Male on Male households are fine. I have been doing it for years, albeit accidentally. It is just what has been the luck of the draw with the cats I have adopted.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 14:34:05 PM »
I was really lucky because my 4 accepted the Bengal Babies straight away, they do all clear the room though when the Benglies start with their total madness.  They are really affectionate and loving but can be a handfull (although a lovely handfull) and very strong willed.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 13:56:23 PM »
Yes the only reason i'd say no to the bengals is due to their extrovert lively and bold nature which to me would maybe upset your existing shy babes.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 13:49:18 PM »
I would pm Linda (bengalbabe) for some advice about the bengals, but I'm inclined to agree with what other have said about the bengals.  They are a very lively breed and I'm not sure they'd get on with your shy balinese. 

re the males not getting on - I disagree with that.  So long as they're neutered, I think males actually accept other males better than any other combination (in general).  They seem to be more laid back about things.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 13:42:42 PM »
Hi Fluffy
What a delema you have. I would feel just the same.
I have 2 Ragdolls, 2 Bengals + others & found the Bengals much more loving & affectionate than any... no sorry not so true.. I have a Burmese boy 5 months & he is just so soft you can do anything with him. 1 Ragdoll does play with the other 2 Bengals without any friction though Ruby 5 months does think she is the boss!

I hope you can decide...

What a combination ;)

Burmese are great and I'm horribly biased. Lirael gets into everything and never slows down (unless she's a sleep), I originally wanted a bengal to have a cat that could keep up with her, at the moment two moggie kittens can barely keep up she's got that much energy!

Offline Fluffy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 13:36:04 PM »
I'll be talking tonight with the Bengal fosterer again, and with the person who took them into care and did visit them at home; AND with the woman who has the Ragdoll at present.  Although I'm told the Bengals are very loving and affectionate, the fosterer seems to be of a slightly different opinion: hopefully, a chat or two will clear all that up and help us decide.  At present, though, Mr Raggie is in the lead.  Although the two girls are coming in a very close second.

I'd like them all, to be honest.  But that WOULD be silly!

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 13:30:56 PM »
Hi Fluffy
What a delema you have. I would feel just the same.
I have 2 Ragdolls, 2 Bengals + others & found the Bengals much more loving & affectionate than any... no sorry not so true.. I have a Burmese boy 5 months & he is just so soft you can do anything with him. 1 Ragdoll does play with the other 2 Bengals without any friction though Ruby 5 months does think she is the boss!

I hope you can decide...

Offline Fluffy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 13:12:46 PM »
Everyone has reinforced my initial feelings about the Bengals: gorgeous cats, but almost certainly not right for us.

Looks like the Ragdoll boy might be coming here soon. 

Thanks, all, for so many comments, so quickly.  It's much appreciated.  Incidentally, if anyone here is looking for a couple of Bengals and are in the north of England, I know where a couple are...!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 12:47:02 PM »
Deff NO to the Bengals -
Although lovely cats i do think you would have trouble introducing 2 of them to your house.

I would go for the Ragdoll

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 12:26:08 PM »
From the description of your other cats i would definately say NO to the bengals, I just dont think your present cats sound right for them.  However the Ragdoll sounds very promising personality wise and would perhaps fit him more gently.

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 12:23:16 PM »
Its very hard to decide, we have three Bengals two boys and a girl,we already had two grown up cats when we got them nearly five months ago,the Bengals want to play and get on with our other two all the time.Its our other two that are the funny ones and they sometimes give them a swipe with their paws,but I know they wouldn't hurt them. (not now anyway)I just don't know what to say for the best, sorry! :hug:
Caroline xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 12:16:55 PM »
I'm an unashamed Bengal addict (well, an admirer as I don't have any of my own  :() but I have to say from how you describe the personalities of your cats and the potential adoptees it sounds like the Ragdoll would intergrate easier.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 12:11:32 PM »
my bengal is adorable and very loyal with our other cats but she is very lively and has growled at the vet and bitten him - we've had two male moggies together in the past with no problems though - sorry its a tough call!

Offline Fluffy

• Adult Cat
Bengals vs. Ragdolls... help me, please!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 12:03:11 PM »
This is very long--sorry!

We have three rather wussy cats: a bossy-but-small Siamese girl, 6, a slightly shy Balinese girl, , and a shy Balinese variant boy, 2.  They're all rescue cats, and the two Balineses in particular were very shy and withdrawn when they first came here.  They've had enough trauma in their lives and I don't want to cause them any more.

We've been looking for a Maine Coon to add to our family, but have this week been offered not one, but three gorgeous cats--none of which are Maine Coons!

I'd like advice on which might suit us best.  I know it's difficult for you to advise from a distance, but what I want to hear is all sorts of opinions so we've got a lot to go on.  We might end up not taking any of these cats, but at the moment, we're just not sure.  I want them all!

First off, we have a three-year-old snow Bengal and her half-Bengal two-year-old daughter (who looks like a green-eyed, brown marble, not very typey Bengal).  Both are speyed, and until last week lived with an old lady who has had to go into sheltered accommodation, and could only take one cat: so she kept her elderly Siamese and handed the other two over to the CPL. 

In their home the mother was very friendly, the daughter more reserved (but not unfriendly); they were let out, and didn't have any problems with neighbourhood cats, or with their Siamese friend.  Now they're in care, they've had to be separated because the mum has become very hissy and cross (the fosterer says she's just really fed up wtih being confined in the cat-runs--they've only been there since Monday).  She's very vocal and demanding, apparently (which is just what I like in a cat).  The daughter, however, is now ridiculously affectionate and sociable. 

Both have been very hissy and spitty with the other cats that they've seen, and the fosterer suspects that the reason they were OK with neighbourhood cats was because they were the ones in charge.  This could cause trouble with our cats here.  However, the person who took them to the rescue, who did see them at home and with their Siamese friend, says that they were both very loving, gentle, quiet cats for Bengals, and doesn't think they'd cause trouble here.

The other cat we've been offered is a two-year-old Ragdoll boy who is, apparently, huge.  He's used to living with his breeder and her queens and stud cats (he's neutered, and has not been used as a stud cat--was sold as a kitten but returned to her when his owner developed asthma).  He likes to go out, and can't at her house, as he keeps getting on the road and he was knocked over recently (he's fine now).  He is described as extremely affectionate, sleeps on her bed (again, we like this), very sociable, and if her queens have a go at him, he just lies down on the floor and ignores them. 

It sounds to me as though the Ragdoll might be the best option; however, I have been advised not to get another male, as males are more territorial and more likely to have a bit of a go at our existing cats.   And the Bengals are also truly gorgeous. 

While we'd love another cat or two, I don't want to cause us, or our existing cats, any more stress than we have to.  I know we'll have to take care over introductions, and I do expect some ruffled fur: but I don't want to get the Bengals, for example, if their nature is confrontational and they'll cause our cats ongoing upset; or get the Ragdoll and have him be all male and hormonal with us (even though he's neutered, you know what I mean).

Help!  What do you think? 

Link to CatChat