Author Topic: Message titles  (Read 3134 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Message titles
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2007, 22:40:35 PM »
I agree the title should give a clue to the subject and when it doesnt, I dont read em!

I dont have the time or patience for guessing games, especially the latter  8)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 16:17:58 PM »
when the thread subject actually tells you what the thread is (or originally was  :rofl: ) about.

:evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2007, 16:15:42 PM »
Its actually something I've been quietly tootling around and tidying up when I can - it makes the forum a lot more userfriendly when the thread subject actually tells you what the thread is (or originally was  :rofl: ) about.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2007, 12:16:16 PM »
I guess it also depends on the section its posted in .... sometimes in the non-cat area the post titles tend to be a bit more vague than in say the health & behaviour section.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2007, 12:12:38 PM »
Have to agree. I tend to not read posts until I have some time to go through all of them, especially if the title is vague.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 11:58:45 AM »
Me too - it makes sense now

Easy when you know how  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 11:48:37 AM »
Ok thanks, previously i've only altered it in the reply box not the first post  ;)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 11:43:48 AM »
Yes - that's what I thought.  If you start a thread and want to change the title later you can edit your first post and the title line will appear as editable too.  Of course that doesn't help much with what Mark was talking about, but in the situation I mentioned above where someone has given a vague title and wants to edit it later they can do so.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 11:41:24 AM »
I dont this us mere mortals can edit the title susanne  :-:  I've tried before and although it will come up on the thread page it doesnt seem to appear on the general page with all the titles, or if there is a way can someone tell me  ;)

If you started the thread you can edit your own title, you have to edit the very first post title, editing your reply to a thread that you started won't change everyone elses title when they reply but changing the first post title should - I think!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 11:40:17 AM »
I think only mods have the special powers Lynn  :evillaugh:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 11:38:58 AM »
I dont this us mere mortals can edit the title susanne  :-:  I've tried before and although it will come up on the thread page it doesnt seem to appear on the general page with all the titles, or if there is a way can someone tell me  ;)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 11:37:11 AM »
You can also search for threads started by certain individuals are those on which you've posted, so if you know who started the thread you could find it that way.

I do agree about thread titles, but I know I've been guilty of vague titles myself.  Sometimes you can't think of what to put so just put something vague and get on with posting.  Of course, it is possible to edit the title later.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 11:34:39 AM »
 :-[ Didn't realise you could search all of them from the homepage - thanks  ;D

But I still think it makes sense to put what your message is about in the title  :P  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 11:34:57 AM by Mark »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 11:27:36 AM »
The problem with the search is it only searches the category you are in at the time and some subjects aren't always in the most obvious category.

If you search from the 'front page' It searches all the categories  ;)  Just did a Riley search and I am found to be wittering on about him in both General and Cat Health & Behaviour  :evillaugh: Still agree with you in general, the search button is very handy though.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 11:20:03 AM »
That is fine to fall back on but there are times where say I am reading about feral cats (this is only a pretend example  :evillaugh: ) and 1/2 hour later I can't find it. Its quite frustrating and it can end up the title is "what do you think" or something.

The problem with the search is it only searches the category you are in at the time and some subjects aren't always in the most obvious category.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 11:01:09 AM »
Yep, I agree but....

If you're looking for a prticular thread there is a search box in the top left hand corner and all you need to do is think of a word that was in the thread you're thinking of (that isn't something like 'cat' as you will have 9000 results).  Try putting Riley in the search box and see how much I go on about my boys  :evillaugh:

Edit:  Yikes - just did that myself, I really must stop going on about them  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 11:06:20 AM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 10:58:28 AM »
Agreed

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 10:55:51 AM »
yes i've had to spend ages for a particular thread before aswell, it is quite frustrating.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Message titles
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 10:54:17 AM »
I know I mentioned this before and a lot of people agreed. It would be helpful if people could put what the message is about rather than a teaser in the title. I and I know a lot of other people don't always get time to read all the messages. The other thing is sometimes I have to spend a while trying to find a thread as there is nothing in the titles to give you an idea of what its about. Not having a go but its a big help  ;D Pretty please  :evillaugh:

Link to CatChat