Author Topic: Holiday pal  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Holiday pal
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 17:04:01 PM »
Thats right sam  ;D there was a post a while back with charities who need volunteers.

Feeding them is a double edged sword, its makes them healthier but then they find it easier to breed and have bigger litters  :(

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 20:37:00 PM »
TNR = Trap Neuter Release (I think)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 18:52:04 PM »
Yes it is upsetting. I had to do some emergency laundry after having the most adorable (but flea and abscess-ridden) kitten on my lap all through the son et lumiere at the Pnyx. She ate all my dinner and went off with a full tummy. Poor wee mite.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 15:43:23 PM »
I couldnt go on holiday to somewhere with strays i would be wound up the whole time!

Me too, although I know it is like burying my head in the sand, I would have no holiday as I would be in tears all the time. Although thankfully I have no desire to go to the countries where I hear it happens most often.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Rhona

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 11:47:25 AM »
Sorry, haven't had a chance to log on for a while.

Milly's Mum - what is a TNR charity?  Not come across that one before.

I always feed strays when I can, on holiday.  Last year in Spain there were loads in one particular area near a batch of restaurants and my kids & I regularly bought cat food & fed them which made me feel I was doing a little bit to help.  There was one lady I spotted in Tenerife many years ago, who walked along the pier & fed goodness knows how many cats, including swapping out dirty bowls with clean - it was amazing to watch her in action, I really admired her dedication to strays.

Helen - I wasn't able to take piccys of this year's strays I came across, if I drew too much attention to the cat & kitten the waiting staff would chase them, so I was happy to have them hiding under the table to be fed discretely!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 15:50:06 PM »
I couldnt go on holiday to somewhere with strays i would be wound up the whole time! When i do get to go away i would like to go with a TNR charity.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 12:43:11 PM »
If you search the internet enough, you often find local charities working in these countries. I know that I've come across cat rescues set up by British ex-pats and locals in several places... Why not have a go and see if there's one near these babies? Perhaps they could continue feeding them if you send them a few quid?  ;)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 12:16:53 PM »
That's the only thing i dont enjoy about going abroad....the stray cats  :(

Glad you fed the furbabes  :Luv:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 00:03:36 AM »
Glad they had you looking out for them while you were there, did you take any pics of them?

Offline Rhona

• Adult Cat
Holiday pal
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 23:12:52 PM »
Came across & cat and it's kitten at one of the restaurants while on holiday in Antigua in July and my daughters & I fell in love with them.  The restaurant was on the beach & each time we dined there one or both would appear.  I would always put half my fish to one side & then subtly slide chunks off the plate to the cats when the waitresses weren't looking!  My hubbie wasn't too happy, but I didn't care.  The kitten looked to have an eye problem when we first got there, which drew me even more to the wee soul.  At first we only gave it small bits of food, but by the end of the 2nd week, the kitten appeared from the trees, paid us a visit & went away full-up & satisfied!  So if you are in Antigua & staying at the Jolly Beach resort, look out for my wee friends & share what you can with them  :hug:

Link to CatChat