Author Topic: HELP - Urgent advice needed, Mosi's eaten a string  (Read 9944 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: HELP - Urgent advice needed
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2007, 18:53:33 PM »
Susanne, am glad you have him home.  Poor little soul.  What a day for him.  Speedy recovery to Mosi and Jaffa - behave yourself!  ;) ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2007, 18:46:59 PM »
So pleased he is home  ;D

That eau de surgery smell took franta over a week to be nice to Ducha again and Ducha was rubbing himself all over Franta to say.......Look its me, I your bro dont you love me any more?........I felt so sorry for him.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2007, 18:20:23 PM »
The little lad's home!  I'm so glad to have him back.  He has a shaved tummy, poor thing.  All that lovely long tummy fur gone!

Jaffa hasn't greeted him yet.  Jaffa's in the bedroom and I've given him the bedding out of Mosi's carrier to sniff.  He's hissed at that and will no doubt do the same to Mosi who's sporting that eau de vets surgery smell again.  When he was neutered, Jaffa hissed at him a lot when he returned home and it took several days for them to sort it out.  At times like these I do wish they could talk and that I could just sit them down and explain things.

It's all still a bit worrying as we don't know where the other piece of string is.  They seem satisfied it's not in Mosi, but keep emphasizing how serious this sort of thing is and that I need to watch him closely over the weekend.  I'll also be watching Jaffa too just in case he has eaten any of it (but I think not).

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2007, 17:55:03 PM »
Give that Mosi an ear scratch from me  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2007, 17:21:59 PM »
Just caught up with this - you must have been so worried Susanne! I'm glad the vets have had a good luck and fingers crossed that's the end of it now. bet yo9u can't wait to get him back home. Give him a scritch from us lot here

x

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2007, 16:54:24 PM »
Pleased to hear that Mosi is going to be ok

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2007, 16:27:26 PM »
No, not hoovered.  And Jaffa was in the bedroom with me while Mosi was doing the deed.  I think!  I don't think Jaffa would have eaten any tbh and he's not acting unwell at all.  He's not a great chewer like Msi.  He's also eating normally and there's no vomiting or signs of illness.  It does seem to have been easy to chew so it is possible he chewed it into lots of bits and swallowed them separately.  I hope the vets haven't missed it, but if it was on one piece I'd imagine it would be hard to miss it.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2007, 16:20:24 PM »
I very much doubt even had he eaten it all it could have passed all the way through his system.

I'm sure he isnt so stupid but jaffa wouldnt have been at it aswell would he ?

the only other thing is if he chewed it all into tiny bits and so they are dotted through his system, in which case they would pass freely but i cant see a cat spending that long and swallowing whole lengths is so common so we know they do do that.

you'd have found it if he vomitied it up, he hasnt pooped it so either it MUST be somewhere in your house or ?  I just hope the vets havent missed it but i'm sure they would have felt it , empty inestines are lovely soft smooth feeling and flat when there isnt something inside them so having a feel is real easy (of course theres a heck of a lot of it )  lets see how he gets on over the weekend, if he shows signs of being unwell or you are worried its still there then they could possibly do a barium xray with the hope some of the barium sticks to the string, or if he eats and is sick (which isnt being put down to just post ga vomiting) then they could xray and see if there is any backing up of faeces anywhere in the gi tract.  Its a mystery though and such a long piece to still be awol.

Have you hoovered and sucked it up by mistake ?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2007, 16:10:35 PM »
I'm really baffled as to where the rest of this string is.  There may be a few small bits that came up this morning but that I didn't notice due to their small size, but that doesn't explain where the rest is.  I've had the bed pulled out to check under it, I've pulled out the sofa to check behind and under there, in the corner by the tv, in the cat tent and boxes... all the possible hiding places but it's nowhere.  He obviously chewed it off fairly near the handle (there's about 14 inches of string left hanging from the handle then that's it, the rest is missing).  It's possible that after chewing it into 2 he then chewed the end and broke off the clip and the bit he vomited up this morning, but what happened to the rest is a mystery.  I'm going to have to watch him like a hawk when he comes home in case he finds the rest.  Could he have swallowed it all, Lynn?  And passed it out one end or the other?  There was no poo in the litter tray this morning so unless he did one at the vets he can't have passed it out that end (and I'm sure they'd have noticed if he had).

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2007, 15:57:30 PM »
stomach acids would not rot or destroy string but i'm glad the vet has had a good rumage to make sure nothing is there.

You'll soon have Mosi home susanne much to your relief and be able to care for him all weekend. :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2007, 15:52:07 PM »
I have only just come on today and seen this.

So pleased that the op has happened and he will soon be home with you. I guess if there was any string left in his stomach it will probably be attack by the stomach acids and it will never be seen again. The main thing is that nothing has been found tied round the important places that may course him probs.

My thoughts are with you and Mosi for a quick recovery  :hug: :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2007, 15:41:27 PM »
Glad he's doing well  :Luv:  Bet you can't wait until 5.30  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2007, 15:35:36 PM »
That's brilliant news! Glad he's doing ok  :)
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline chrisleitz

• Senior Cat
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2007, 15:30:51 PM »
Good to hear Mosi's doing OK. 
Best wishes, Chris, Samson, Buddie and Pepper

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2007, 15:20:01 PM »
glad he is ok hope he makes a full recovery quickly

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2007, 15:16:12 PM »
The vet has just rang.  They've not found any of the string inside him but his intestines are enlarged and inflamed, and pushed a bit to one side.  She said his lymph nodes were enlarged also.  The surgeon is confident there's no string inside him now so he must have vomited up or passed whatever he swallowed.  I've had another good look around and can't find it anywhere so I hope it's not lurking somewhere to be found and swallowed all over again!  I have just found another small piece in one of the places he was sick this morning - it looked like a piece of hair or fluff on the carpet but when I picked it up to take a closer look I could see a small piece of something black in it and think it's part of the string.

He's recovered well from the anaesthetic and I can bring him home later.  They said to go about 5.30pm so that they can observe him for a couple more hours.  I just want the little lad home now.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2007, 12:03:16 PM »
Good Luck to Mosi in surgery today  :Luv::hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2007, 11:53:39 AM »
Blimey, Mosi can be a little scamp can't he?! Hoping the surgery goes well for him and that you're all OK.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2007, 11:40:27 AM »
Suzanne, I've just come on and seen this.   Thank goodness for your vigilance.  :hug: to Mosi and to you.

Let us know the results of the surgery.  
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2007, 11:38:37 AM »
We're all sending our very best wishes to Mosi and of course to you (Miss Boopy would also like to send Mosi a gentle wash and a kiss). It's a good job you were there and spotted so quickly that he'd eaten it so you could get him prompt vet attention. Let us know how he gets on. xxxxx

You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2007, 11:29:20 AM »
Hi Suzanne,

I'm sure Mosi will be fine now - glad that he sicked up the catch.

Poor Mosi  :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2007, 11:21:09 AM »
Love and big  :hug: for Mosi xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2007, 11:08:34 AM »
Sending positive vibes Mosi`s way. Try not to worry too much your vigilance and prompt action will pay off  :hug:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2007, 10:38:25 AM »
 :hug: and lots of fingers crossed.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2007, 10:28:08 AM »
He'll be absolutely fine Susanne, and as requested, sending lots of positive vibes from me and Maxy over to you and Mosi  :hug:

Keep us posted as to how he gets on.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2007, 10:22:43 AM »
what an awful start to the day, fingers crossed and hope he comes home tonight not too worse for wear

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2007, 10:21:23 AM »
Me and Cody sending our vibes for Mosi.  I have pm'd you susanne but will say again he WILL be fine and we are all here for you  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2007, 10:16:20 AM »
Poor Mosi  :hug:  Got everything crossed for you, I'm sure he'll be just fine - keep us posted  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2007, 10:14:51 AM »
he's at the vets and they're going to operate on him to remove it.  His temperature and everything are ok, but assuming he's swallowed the whole length (and given that I can't find it anywhere and he vomited up part of it it's the most likely scenario) it's a long piece of string.  The problem is that we don't know if it's still in his stomach or whether it's in his intestines.  She said we could wait and see but that was a bit risky esp if it was in his intestines.  Or we could do an endoscopy but again that might not help if it wasnt still in his stomach as they couldn't pull it out.  Or we could open him up and look for it.  I asked her what she would do if it was her cat and she said she would have a word with the surgeon.  They aren't too busy today so she said the best thing would probably be to operate.  So that's what they're doing.  It will cost about £600 (thank god for insurance).  I'm worried sick about him so please send get well vibes for him.  I may be able to collect him later but he may need to stay overnight. 

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 10:04:23 AM »
Fingers and Paws crossed here for Mosi  :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2007, 09:33:33 AM »
Hope Mosi is OK  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 09:31:32 AM »
good luck Susanne, we had a similar thing once with Bluto and the string of a piece of beef but the first I knew of it was when he passed it (it was about two inches)  fingers crossed its all ok

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 08:55:30 AM »
Just saw this. Fingers crossed for vet visit.  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 08:52:42 AM »
Poor Jaffa!   :hug:    Am glad Mosi is showing no ill effects after his sicky session though.  Hope that's promising news.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2007, 08:49:29 AM »
He seems ok in himself at the moment and is wandering around looking like nothing is up (meanwhile Jaffa is panicking as I got the lid for the carrier out so he thinks he's going somewhere!).  Just waiting for the vets to open so that I can ring them but I suspect he will be going for a visit. 

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2007, 08:36:52 AM »
Hope Mosi is okay Susanne - fingers crossed for you  :hug:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 08:25:22 AM »
Hope everything's okay Susanne.  Fingers crossed for the vets.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 08:12:15 AM »
He seems ok for the time being but I'm going to ring the vet as soon as they open (9am I think) and I suspect they'll tell me to take him in

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 08:07:27 AM »
Susanne i would be very worried and be seeking veterinary advice, if he has vomited up a 2" piece and you still havent found the rest i would be strongly suspecting he ate it all and we have no clue if he ate the rest in a oner and this would be very dangerous, i am glad he vomited the clip bit though.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 07:55:08 AM »
Well he's vomited 3 times this morning and has brought up part of the string - the bit with the clip on the end.  but only about 2" of the string.  Whether that means he chewed through the string there as well and only swallowed that bit or whether he's got the rest of it still inside him only time will tell.  Guess that's another morning/day I'm going to have to take off work cos of the cats.  Work will be thrilled!  But I don't want to leave him at the moment.  Jaffa tried to eat Mosi's sick and very nearly swallowed the bit of string that Mosi had vomited up!  :sick:

Link to CatChat