Author Topic: How many cats?  (Read 6622 times)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
Re: How many cats?
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2007, 20:54:46 PM »
I only have 1. Though if the queen of the house allowed me to I'd have one more. Sadly madam still thinks she rules the world and the 2 bed maisonette she allows me to pay for is just enough room for us.   :shy:

Well, maybe in a couple years when we've moved and I can introduce her to a garden properly she may think sharing isn't so bad... well I can dream anyway.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2007, 16:47:43 PM »
We must be lucky really that ours have us so well trained, we have the morning crew who seek us out and get the groomings - 3 longhaired and 1 shorthaired who loves to be brushed, we have the morning conversations with the ferals while giving them their breakfast saucers (we do 36 saucers of treats every morning!) we then have the afternoon seekers who are are our best friends whilst we are doing their tea, then we have the couch potato squad and then teh bed mob, a lot of our ferals love to be near us but some when touched pull their fur out - they have done that since trapped prior to coming to us - all 3 ladies are glossy costed and no baldness now, we have the touch and shred you mob and they all interact with us, love playtime with the Da Bird and Laser pen and above all are safe and wanted - there are only 2 of us in a 6 bedroomed large house so we have the space and the time for them

So numbers whilst important it all comes down to their acceptance of what they have - no one isn't in at night and they love all the stuff they have but sometimes the ferals would love it all bar the humans in fact the dog is loved more than we are! :shify:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2007, 14:54:45 PM »
I've got 2 now - Jumpy 13, and Tilly 14.... erm, and also the foster kittens Apache and Squaw.  :Luv:

I lost my Tigger 6 months back.  :'(

The most I've had in the house at one time is 5 and that was pushing it because they ALL wanted to sleep next to meowmy!  :evillaugh:

I think so long as you have the time, money and space, it doesn't matter how many you have. But it has to be said that some cats don't really come into their special personalities unless they are living alone.  ;)
That is so true! It CAN be done, but we need to be aware that the cat needs serious one-on-one attention for that to happen.  Meesha is like that.  Very little 'cuddly' interaction when the other two are about, but if she knows it's just her and me with no chance of interruption, she is beside herself with kisses and snuggles!  I make sure that happens every day, of course!  :Luv:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2007, 13:23:21 PM »
I've got 2 now - Jumpy 13, and Tilly 14.... erm, and also the foster kittens Apache and Squaw.  :Luv:

I lost my Tigger 6 months back.  :'(

The most I've had in the house at one time is 5 and that was pushing it because they ALL wanted to sleep next to meowmy!  :evillaugh:

I think so long as you have the time, money and space, it doesn't matter how many you have. But it has to be said that some cats don't really come into their special personalities unless they are living alone.  ;)

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2007, 13:14:32 PM »
I knew exactly what you meant, don't worry!  ;D  No, totally agree with you - one of mine is the offspring of a cat who escaped from a two-bed flat with almost 40 ginger cats in it - two litters of kittens were found in there too, and the woman didn't even realise they'd been born - that is truly out of control!!  My friends keep joking that I'm a "mad cat lady" since adopting number 3 but I like to think that although I wouldn't rule out another that really needed a home, I would never have so many that the existing ones suffered.

ccmacey

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2007, 13:09:19 PM »
Oh believe me my cats run a mock too. I mean when people are old and there house is turning into a mixture of cat food and litter trays, like the animal rescue stories that are seen on tv.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2007, 13:05:35 PM »
Well, Bertie and Bella run amock in my house - they're playing a very noisy "in and out of the bannisters" game right now  ;D

I'm so looking forward to seeing pics of Ralphie!

ccmacey

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2007, 12:43:47 PM »
I think it only matters how many cats you have if you cant look after them properly for example an old lady with 20+ cats that are running a mock in the house. Or people who have cats and don't take care of their needs. I'm sure I can speak for us all in saying none of us are like this.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2007, 12:31:08 PM »
I've got two cats at the mo and in 10 days will have one more (adopted him from a local rescue).  Some people have said that i'm mad having 3 so i just wondered how many people on here had? 

I have 11 - yes ELEVEN !!

Take no notice of what anyone else says, its how many YOU can cope with.

Good Luck with your new baby - He is lucky he has found his new forever home with you xxx

ccmacey

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »
I have 4 but would like to have more, maybe when the kids move out, that will be a long time can I really wait another 18 years before getting a new furry friend? lol.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2007, 10:54:53 AM »
I have three beautiful furbabes  :Luv:  I'd love more but a) two of my three don't really get on with other cats; and b) With working full time I don't think I would be able to give any additions the attention they deserve.  Well, maybe one more .....  ;)

I've always thought 4 was a good number...  ;)

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2007, 09:56:20 AM »
I have three beautiful furbabes  :Luv:  I'd love more but a) two of my three don't really get on with other cats; and b) With working full time I don't think I would be able to give any additions the attention they deserve.  Well, maybe one more .....  ;)

As well as the room and cost, I think it's also important to take into account the number of cat-friendly people in your household and their lifestyle.  When I was growing up in a family of 5 (including my parents) we had four cats (two were literally 'rescued' - I may do a separate thread to tell you about it) and each 'adopted' a member of the family, so they all got lots of love and attention.  :Luv:  But the four would have been too many for any one of us on their own as we led very busy lives.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2007, 19:27:25 PM »
 :rofl: bob cat better get reading too  ;)

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 17:33:37 PM »

:hug: to Angie, you can always add more later. I hope you OH doesnt read this  :evillaugh:

no I hope he does  :rofl: :rofl:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Buddy & Daisy
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 16:48:51 PM »
I am so glad and i found this forum so i can speak to people who are as mad about cats as me.  I think of mine as my children, one of them sleeps under my duvet with me most nights, really funny when i wake up and see his body under cover and head on pillow.  I wouldn't swap them for the world.

:Luv:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Always in my heart RIP Jet, Cleo, Poppy, Oscar & Sydney x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 16:19:48 PM »
I have 6 bundles of joy terror and thats enough for my budget to cope with. I would like a few more but that will have to wait. Apart from Lola who is normal, her mother Milly is a pyscho and the other 4 are all nervy with feral blood but i think that is makes them enjoy each others company so much   :Luv:

:hug: to Angie, you can always add more later. I hope you OH doesnt read this  :evillaugh:

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 15:40:15 PM »
 I feel like an orphan  I only have 1 Max 3yrs who we got from CP, only had him 6 weeks
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 15:31:48 PM »
My mum and I have got 3 that live with her (Ellie, Ollie and Mollie) and I have got 3 that live with me and my OH (Bilbo Baggins, Tigger and Miss Boopy). I'd love another 3 cats in the future over the space of several years once we move but I'm not sure if my OH will let me or not.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 15:26:04 PM »
I have 7 but 9 at the mo cos im looking after my sisters cats while she's on her hols  :Luv:

I would of had one more but unfortunately she had to be pts a couple of weeks ago through illness..... :(

I take in oldies off the street that no-one wants and have a huge soft spot for them  :Luv:

Offline Catz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 14:13:27 PM »
I have 4 cats. Toffee - 3, Magnum - 2, Sebastian - 1  and Harvey  7  months. I also have a 10  year old dog who is totally ruled by the cats.

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 10:47:51 AM »
i have 3 at the moment, but will defo get more :)

i'm in a 2 bedroomed flat with plenty of space.

i love my cats so much, couldn't imagine life without them :Luv:

they are all happy, healthy, (insured,) etc. sometimes it can be expensive but we never struggle.

if it were up to me, my house would be full, luckily i have my oh with his sensible head :rofl:

my friends do laugh at me, call me crazy cat lady :rofl: but i don't mind, it's a passion for me as well as them being my family, i just love cats ;D

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 09:00:14 AM »
We have the space now and the Clan cats number 36 not including te outside strays who are turning up.

We have 20 ferals, 15 domestics and a rescue ragdoll they range from 17 to 2 and are from really nie to very nasty not for the feint hearted ferals.

12 indoor only and the rest have indoor/outdoor access and all are in every night.  All ID Chipped, neutered, injected annually and have Program injections every 6 months.  Wormed every 3 months and rather large vet bills every month just for the basics!

All get attention the ferals pick and choose, some just like the digs and food and others love to be on your knee till you move.  Noth9ng like 20 cats flying around after a laser pen and Da Birdies to keep you occupied.

Included in this are ones with health issues - 3 legs, no tail, cardiomyopathy, cruelty cases and ferals who couldn't be returned as we also bought our feral colony when we moved and they have adapted to being house cats and 99/100 hit the grit box not bad for 12 months!

All are loved and wanted even if they prefer the dog to the humans, when we bought the house it was their needs before ours and they now have a safe haven, loads of space and good food, heating, vet care and parents who love them for what they are

We also never take holidays as we don't trust someone to look after them although Elaine will now have a great reference as she babysat and checked traps for us when we moved last year and does visit when I am at home.

Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 08:19:47 AM »
Good luck with your new cat, and ignore people's comments, as long as you can afford food, vet care and give them the attention they need, it doesn't matter how many you have. I only have 2 permanent cats, because I always have one that costs hundreds in vet bills, but I also foster, so get more of a kitty fix!! I have had to limit myself to 4 at the moment cos of hols coming up (think boyf was secretly relieved, he thought 5 was too many!!)
Please spay your cat

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 06:45:45 AM »
Thanks everyone, you've reassured me now.  I can't wait to pick up my third babe from the shelter on 1st September, anyone got any tips on how to help him settle in he's 4. My other two are 3 and 5.

:hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 22:13:09 PM »
I have 11 - so, no I don't think 3 is toooo many  :rofl: I had 12 until I lost Suzie in July. I work at home most of the time, so they get plenty of attention - in fact I think they are sick of the sight of me LOL!  ;)

Mine don't have annual boosters because I don't believe they are necessary, (annually anyway) not because I can't afford them, my 2 latest are insured, the others arent, but I have a 'save a fiver' fund for vet bills - I covet all the fivers I get LOL!

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 21:54:51 PM »
I've got 5 but until I lost Mavey I had 6. That's plenty for me, I can tell you!!

I knew someone who had 13 [she just kept accumulating them] but how many of them went without any attention or fusses? I think it'd be impossible to make time for that many cats and I know she didn't have them insured - couldn't afford it - so I should be very surprised if they got their annual boosters etc.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 21:41:06 PM »
I would love more but I have a 17 year old cat and I am worried that another cat would stress him out,maybe that wouldn't be the case but don't really want to take the risk :-[

Plus I have a 7 month old puppy,think I am a glutten for punishment in having a puppy and kitten/cat in one year don't ya think? :rofl:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 21:20:28 PM »
I have 3 and would love more  ;D
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 21:10:22 PM »
I have 4 and am definately full  :rofl:

Misa, Sasa. Franta and Ducha.....the last two are birmans and both yobs  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 21:07:44 PM »
I have just the 2, although it feels like 22 when they're chasing each othe around and sounding like a herd of elephants.  I'd have more if I had the room but 2 is the max for a one bed flat.

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 21:05:23 PM »
I have four gorgeous bundles of fur  :Luv:

Muppet 2, Rascal 1 and Guinness and Widget are 6 months  :)

They are indoor cats and have plenty of room to run about in, plus lots of toys and scratch posts.

As the others have said as long as you can afford them and have the room I don't see a problem  :sneaky:

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 19:59:14 PM »
I agree with you all, my cats get lots of cuddles now and i have to say are spoilt rotten,  don't know what will happen when i have children, i'll probably still put the cats first!!!!  

The two i have now have more toys than a local toy store and have so much fun playing outside with the neighbours cats.  As for food they eat better than i do, they don't like Iams but adore James Welbeloved (expensive tastes)

I do think it should be more difficult to get a pet than it is now.  I feel so sorry for those poor pets that are mistreated.  Such a shame they can't speak up for themselves, guess that's why we have to do it for them

;)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 19:56:42 PM »
Just the two for me but believe me that's enough  :tired:  :Luv: Three is a good number though  :wow:  As the others have said as long as you can afford to meet their needs and have the time and space for them then I don't think there is an upper limit  :)

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 19:54:22 PM »
I don't think 3 is too much. I have 4. Tigger's about 2, and kittens Daisy, Meeko and Belle who're 4 1/2 months. As long as you can afford them, have the time to look after them, and room, it's no-one's business how many you have, in my opinion.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 19:54:12 PM »
We've got three of our own and two foster kittens in the house. My OH says 5 is too much but we could get away with 4 if he fell for one.

Coworker has 5 and he doesn't see a problem, well one eats for England ;)

As long as they are happy and well cared for you can have as many as you want.

There is one lady on here with about 30 + cats, but they've got a lot more room in their house then I do.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 19:52:18 PM »
My rule of thumb is that if you have enough space for them all to cuddle up to you when they want, and enough money to make sure they are properly cared for and to deal with vet emergencies and/or insurance, then that is enough. More than that, and you are looking out for your own interests, and not those of the animals. I once had 8 and that was too many. I could still afford the vet bills but didn't have time to give them each the individual attention and love they deserved.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 19:51:31 PM »
Nah 3 cats isn't too much.  I have had 3 before but now down to two,well have been for the last year and a half really. 

Personally as long as you can afford to give them good food (in saying that I don't mean the most expensive as I only buy whiskas/felix etc) and afford their jabs,insurance ,also that they have a fair amount of room to themselves I don't see there should be a limit on how many cats/dogs you should own. 

I do believe there should be licences for looking after pets though and like am exam you have to pass inorder to have one,theres so much cruelty out there we really need to do something to stop it.

Sorry got off-topic a bit there :-[
Love me,love my animals.

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
How many cats?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 19:46:55 PM »
I've got two cats at the mo and in 10 days will have one more (adopted him from a local rescue).  Some people have said that i'm mad having 3 so i just wondered how many people on here had?  I don't care what they say to me as i know it's my choice and i live in a big house with large garden so it's not like they're stuck in a small place.

I just love cats and if it were up to me i'd have several, i don't think 3 is too many.  Just curious really as to how many other people have.

;D

Link to CatChat