Author Topic: Piccies - New litter tray, or is it a bed?  (Read 3412 times)

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Piccies - New litter tray, or is it a bed?
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 20:46:30 PM »
Right, an update on the "door" for the litter tray ......

I put Polly in the tray and popped the door on. It took her a few minutes, but she managed to get out in the end  ;D. Whereas Fergus I put in, put the door on and he just sat there as if to say "ok, I'm stuck in here now, I'll just sit and wait, it's fine"  :tired:!!! After a while he started sticking his paws out the bottom of the flap, then Polly started to jab him back so they had a good 5 mins playing like that, but he has eventually worked out he can get out on his own.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 18:56:53 PM »
Mosi's a terror for removing the filter.  He saw me change it once and ever since he's decided it's a toy  >:(

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 18:46:52 PM »
LOL!!! :rofl: :rofl:

Bless them!!!

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 18:32:17 PM »
I haven't put the door on yet as I didn't think they'd be able to work it out. I wanted them to realise it was their litter tray before having to work out how to get in! I did tell them this morning that maybe at the weekend we'll have a go with the door. I need to work out how to keep the filter and the filter lid bit on though, maybe just some tape?

Emma

The filter lid should just clip in and hold the filter in with it. You have got intelligent kitties if they can work that out!! ;D

The lid does just clip in, took me long enough to get the stupid thing off to get the filter in. But they get it off by hooking their claws in the gaps. I might go and put it back on now and see what they do. Don't know how they worked it out or why, maybe they like the smell of the charcoal??? They obviously liked the taste of it as it was chewed to bits with bits of powder all over the floor! Hey ho ......

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 18:27:33 PM »
I haven't put the door on yet as I didn't think they'd be able to work it out. I wanted them to realise it was their litter tray before having to work out how to get in! I did tell them this morning that maybe at the weekend we'll have a go with the door. I need to work out how to keep the filter and the filter lid bit on though, maybe just some tape?

Emma

The filter lid should just clip in and hold the filter in with it. You have got intelligent kitties if they can work that out!! ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 16:56:58 PM »
I'd like covered trays but cant as to Taz they look like carriers and then he has an episode  :( so i have to put up with all the digging he does. The kitchen can easily turn into a beach  :tired:

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 12:25:25 PM »

I did tell them this morning that maybe at the weekend we'll have a go with the door.

Am so glad I am not the only one who has mini conversations with their cats  :Crazy: :evillaugh:

"Mini" conversations??? We have full on discussions  :evillaugh:!!! Polly will actually talk back as well, she makes like a squeeking noise and if I then make the same noise she'll do it again. So we have squeeking conversations and "proper" conversations!

Dear oh dear, I really do need to get out more    :Crazy:   :Crazy:   :Crazy:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 11:55:33 AM »
When I got Mosi I took the door off his new litter tray initially as he wasn't used to using a door with his tray at the breeders (he had a covered tray but no door), although he did use a cat flap to go into an outdoor enclosure.  I put his tray next to Jaffa's (with door) and guess which one he headed straight for?  Yup - Jaffa's with the door  ;D

When I first got Jaffa I left the lid off for a couple of weeks (he was only 8 weeks old) but I didn't realise that you could take the door off.  So after a couple of weeks I put the whole lot on - lid and door - and both he and Magpie worked out how to open it straight away.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 11:50:54 AM »
Bless  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Has anyone had luck with the doors on these things?

I haven't put the door on yet as I didn't think they'd be able to work it out. I wanted them to realise it was their litter tray before having to work out how to get in!

That's exactly what I did, they were used to a normal litter tray so I kept one with the lid off completely and the other one put the lid on with no flap.  When I was happy they were using it properly I put the lid on the 2nd one and then waited a few more days before I put the flap on.

I did tell them this morning that maybe at the weekend we'll have a go with the door.

Am so glad I am not the only one who has mini conversations with their cats  :Crazy: :evillaugh:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 09:34:11 AM »
Pippa as a kitten saw the litter tray as a playhouse, she got in, my sister put the flap on and she had to figure out how to get out. Turned into a game and there you go, she uses a flap.  :Luv:

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 09:19:58 AM »

Emma

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 08:58:49 AM »
Jaffa and Mosi use the door on their litter tray no problem.  Magpie used it too when he was alive.  None of them ever had any issues with it.

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 06:02:40 AM »
Rosie has the exact same litter tray as em1209 and likes to play with the door by tapping it and making it swing!

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 23:33:54 PM »
smidgen uses the one with the flap but when I put the flap on the other one, Esther howled the house down until it was gone ...

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 23:17:46 PM »
Lexy does not acknowledge door flaps. They are not part of her realm of understanding, no matter what. So her litter tray lives without one. BUT both my sisters' and my mum's cats all use trays with hoods and flaps, and all of them are fine with them.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 23:16:41 PM »
No, I bought it for Kocka but had to take the door off  :rofl:

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 23:15:41 PM »
Has anyone had luck with the doors on these things?
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 22:31:06 PM »
I gave up with mine cos although its big, big Misa is too big  :rofl: :rofl:

it now is just used as an ordinary tray and dont know where the top is!

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 18:19:31 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl:  Yes same here only Max likes to 'hide' in his and jump out and swipe anyone that passes,

as he never really uses it, it tends to get ignored sitting in the corner, and yes its in my kitchen!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl:

Fergus and Polly are beautiful  :clap:

:hug:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 18:08:49 PM »
Yes, I have similar identity crises with both my litter trays and my cat cages, both of which seem to be beds (luckily - could be nasty if the cat cages were used for other illicit purposes ... :sick:

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
Piccies - New litter tray, or is it a bed?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 18:05:52 PM »
Hi,

Well I bought my babies a new litter tray. In the end I went for the large one from Argos, it's covered and has the charcoal filter too. I brought it home and set it up and within minutes, one after the other, Fergus and Polly both went in, lay straight down and went to sleep! Within another 2 hours they had worked out how to remove the cover off the charcoal filter and promptly chewed the filter leaving bits of charcoaly dust on the floor!! They have now realised it's not for sleeping in, but have great fun when I clean it out. I put the lid bit on the floor and one gets inside with the other on top trying to "paw" through the small holes. What idiots  :evillaugh:!!!

Emma x

[attachment deleted by admin]

Link to CatChat