Author Topic: Nervous rescue cat... am I doing the right things?  (Read 3516 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Nervous rescue cat... am I doing the right things?
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 02:19:42 AM »
Sounds like you have the right attitude to this, everything you are doing is fine. The blinking and yawning are great for establishing a trusting bond with him, as this means 'I'm not a threat' in cat-language.

One suggestion. If one of your other cats is okay about this and it doesn't scare the new boy, coax one of your existing cats into the bedroom and cuddle the established moggy. Your new, nervous cat will see that your other cat enjoys being fussed and purrs etc. This will help to teach Toby something about the bond between human and cat, and that being fussed and held is a nice thing.

Only try this if your resident cat is okay with it.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 16:30:09 PM »
All good advice and if he is blinking at you already, that sounds good.

What is his name?

Edited to say I have just read your other thread and I see his name is Toby  ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 16:35:49 PM by Christine (Blip) »
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 15:48:17 PM »
Sounds like you are doing things right as it is....

These links may help though, Wizz is an animal behaviouralist and runs her own rescue so it's top advice  :)

http://wizz-catz.co.uk/timidcat.html

http://wizz-catz.co.uk/bonding.html

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 10:12:56 AM »
Sounds like you have everything under control.  I would suggest having a read of the following thread:  http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=4789.0

Also because cats are the nosiest creatures on the planet I would suggest sitting on the floor in the same room as him an just read a book.  If you ignore Toby his natural curiosity will get the better of him and he will have to come and investigate what you are doing .... over time his confidence will grow.

Good luck and keep us posted.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 07:36:32 AM »
Sounds to me like you are doing the right thing. I have over the years had many situations like this. One cat Katy took two years to venture downstairs, although most  cats have been much quicker. I suggest you put some Rescue Remedy in the water and perhaps some cat nip near the little big one.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline verity

• Adult Cat
Nervous rescue cat... am I doing the right things?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 03:04:40 AM »
Hi all...
Three days ago, we adopted a young male cat (2 ish) to live with our two established moggies, who are both pushing double figures. He is a big cat, but a total scaredy boy!

He has basically been living under the bed, venturing out occasionally (mainly to see the hamster) and wandering the house at night. I'm totally aware that he will need time and patience (he had been homed before, but sent back because he was 'too shy'... there in NO way I'll ever do that) but i need to know I'm doing the right things.

Firstly, I am occasionally reaching in and stroking him. He seems to like this, but I am carefull to back off if he seems fed up. I am not making him come out from under the bed. When he does appear downstairs, I don't approach him, because he'll just run off. I'm a also feeding him under the bed because our other boycat, Sam will eat any cat food left around, so if he doesn't come downstairs, he simply won't get any food! This evening, I have left some cat toys on the landing, to see if I can encourage play (even without me). He won't take food treats from me.

How does it all sound? I know he'll need time, but I can also see that he is inquisitive, and interested. We have started blinking and yawning at each other in the last 24 hours, which was something he wouldn't do at first. Any tips? Please?!
Verity x

Link to CatChat