Author Topic: 100's of ferals evicted from olympic building site need homes  (Read 11190 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: 100's of ferals evicted from olympic building site need homes
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 11:23:54 AM »
Is there anything on Catchat, the hovel etc?

Also, I wonder if CP would put something on their homepage?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 10:50:12 AM »
Yep, same thing happened here when the new courthouse was built. There were a couple of feral colonies living in the old buildings, and I honestly don't know if they bothered to check what happened to the cats before they started knocking things down.  >:(

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 10:38:48 AM »
signed. I have also posted it on to the guinea pig forum I belong to as the members are all animal lovers and several also have cats.

Offline chrisleitz

• Senior Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 09:38:58 AM »
Signed.

It's a disgrace.
Best wishes, Chris, Samson, Buddie and Pepper

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 09:18:49 AM »
I have sent an email to the mayor's office. 

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 23:58:18 PM »
Just found this:

The Public Liaison Unit (PLU) deals with all enquiries and correspondence on behalf of the Mayor and any enquiry requiring a response must be made in writing.

By email: mayor@london.gov.uk

Postal Address:

Ken Livingstone
Mayor of London
Greater London Authority
City Hall
The Queen's Walk
More London
London SE1 2AA

Telephone: 020 7983 4100
Fax: 020 7983 4057

I wonder if there is a purrs person who is good at this kind of thing or who has media contacts. I'm sure it would "make a story" - I'm worried that a few hundred signatures on a petition isn't going to do much.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 23:58:46 PM by Mark »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 23:50:49 PM »
signed

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 23:44:57 PM »
Just found this:

The Public Liaison Unit (PLU) deals with all enquiries and correspondence on behalf of the Mayor and any enquiry requiring a response must be made in writing.

By email: mayor@london.gov.uk

Postal Address:

Ken Livingstone
Mayor of London
Greater London Authority
City Hall
The Queen's Walk
More London
London SE1 2AA

Telephone: 020 7983 4100
Fax: 020 7983 4057

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 23:39:07 PM »
I have signed it. Its shameful. Does anyone know how to get this to the attention of Ken Livingstone or at least into Metro/The Standard or something?

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 23:24:36 PM »
This is awful  :scared: :( Have signed the petition Dawn  ;)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 23:16:36 PM »
Here's an update on the trapping of the ferals.........this is an absolute  :censored: outrage but doesn't surprise me in the least  :censored:  Please sign the petition on the link below so the rest of these cats/kittens can be helped.

for weeks celia hammond animal trust has been trapping cats on this site but have just been banned on health and safety grounds, could you log on to www.celiahammond.org and sign the on line petition to allow the trust back on site so that the cats are not crushed to death during demolishion of their homes, so far 147 cats and kittens have been rescued but theres so many more needing help.
 many thanksxxx

C.H.A.T.'s LATEST CHALLENGE - THE OLYMPIC 2012 SITE, STRATFORD, LONDON - Many cats removed from site now desperately needing homes and we urgently need your financial assistance to help fund this huge rescue mission
It is not only local businesses and residents that have lost their property and homes on the Olympic site, a huge tract of land covering approx 800 acres. Numerous cats and kittens are living in and around derelict/vacated buildings and across swathes of wasteland.

There is a 5 point Ecology Action Plan for endangered species, such as some newts, reptiles, birds and insects, but there is apparently no contingency plan for the safe removal of cats.

The area around the range of units pictured above was home to 19 cats and kittens. All have now been rescued. Also pictured above is one of the kittens we rescued literally hours before demolition.

We are so concerned at the scale of the problem. Not only the number of cats that need to be brought to safety - many are wandering, traumatised and disorientated, due to the destruction of their habitat - but the limited time available to us to try to make sure that cats and kittens are not injured or killed in the demolition process.

We urgently need homes for the cats and kittens we have already taken in. Some are nervous rather than feral as they were fed by the previous owners of businesses, but many will need to go to farms, stables and smallholdings. All will be neutered, vaccinated and microchipped and we will give advice and support to introduce them to their new location.

Our rescue staff from both London clinics continue to work round the clock to bring as many cats as possible to safety.

STOP PRESS - OLYMPIC DELIVERY AUTHORITY BAN FURTHER RESCUE WORK
The ODA has banned the Trust from the Olympic site on Health and Safety grounds. This is despite the fact that all our rescue staff have CSCS (Construction Skills Certification Scheme) qualifications and we have two qualified First Aiders in the team. We are therefore as qualified to work on a construction site as unskilled labourers, and cannot understand why we are not being allowed to complete this rescue project. Our trapping methods do not require us to go into demolition areas, as we encourage cats onto safe feeding sites to be trapped without danger to us or the cats. Appeals to the ODA for a change of heart have so far been unsuccessful. Please click on the link below to sign our petition so that you can hopefully lend us your support.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 21:28:00 PM »
Its a  :censored: outrage  >:(

PB, ask if they would interested in you taming down as any fosterer who approaches them wont be initally be known. Im sure CP could vouch for you  ;)
And they may need extra hands trapping/driving cats to vets  ;D

If it were pigeons or rats they would have to pay to clear them so they should pay the rescues who trap the cats.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 21:06:02 PM »
I have looked at their website and I'm not sure what I could do to help. I wouldn't think they'd let me take some kittens to tame down as they don't know me from adam.  :-: I wouldn't have thought they need trappers either... it's the homes that they need.

I shall keep my ears open for feral homes offered.  ;D

I recall years ago when developers cleared an old hospital site near my mum's, they just gassed the cats.  :( :( Thank god someone is trying to do something about this...  :scared:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 20:42:26 PM »
I can't really describe how I feel about this on the forum as I will be banned but I'm so angry.  This is exactly what happened with the Manchester kitties, turfed out when they've done their job but left til last minute  :censored:  :censored:  :censored:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 20:30:11 PM »
tadpoling hell!

They should be made to help out. Bastards.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 20:18:36 PM »
What an nightmare and why do they leave it all until they demolished their habitat which leaves them even more traumatised  :mad2:  :mad2:  These people should be made to pay to relocate these animals..........who the hell do they think they are  :censored:  I've only glanced at the link as I will want to get involved and at the moment, I need to get mine sorted before taking in any more  :sad no:  :sad no:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 20:17:11 PM »
We had that problem when two of  the largest  factories spread over very large areas in Chesterfield were to be demolished.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 20:09:33 PM »
So sad nobody thought about the cats  :(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
100's of ferals evicted from olympic building site need homes
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 20:03:43 PM »
Celia Hammond are busily removing ferals from the olympic building site in Stratford, but time is running out for these cats.
They come neutered, vaccinated and chipped so if any body can help relocate please contact CHAT.

http://www.celiahammond.org/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=3&MMN_position=3:3

Link to CatChat