Author Topic: Has Polly had a stroke? Anyone know the symptoms and prognosis or useful links?  (Read 20920 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Have only just caught up with this thread, sorry that Polly isn't well  :hug:

There's some good tips on the CRF website for persuading a cat to eat.  http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm  They are not CRF specific so hopefully one of them will tempt Polly's tastebuds.  Hope she is feeling better soon, don't forget to take care of yourself too  :hug:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
I'm getting a little concerned that Polly won't eat, especially because of that fatty liver problem I heard about on purrs some time ago. I've tried offering her small amounts of food and smearing it around (and in) her mouth, and have done the same with butter; but she isn't interested. She won't eat dry food either.

Before Desley, I think it was, told me that they can become ill from missing food for just 24 hrs, this wouldn't have worried me too much. I think Polly is off food due to the giddiness, and whatever is causing it. The vet wasn't keen on me syringe feeding her, but if she continues like this I might try mixing some raw egg and milk and putting into a syringe. I know raw egg isn't normally a good thing, but in an emergency I suppose it's okay. Polly isn't a co-operative patient though.

If anyone has any ideas I haven't tried, I would be really grateful.  :thanks:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Sorry it's taken so long for me to tell you the news, but the friends who came to the vet with me stayed for a while. Nigel's girlfriend bought some food round. When they left, I caught up with some sleep.

The vet was cautiously positive.He gave her a thorough examination, but didn't check her bp, because he didn't want to put her through the stress yet.  He's not at all convinced she's had a stroke, though there's still the possibility. He thinks she may have an inner ear infection. He didn't think it was a reaction to the drug as the correct dosage was given.

He injected her with antibiotics and steroids (at my insistence, just in case it is a stroke). He thinks the 'head tilt' looks worse because of her trimmed ear. Her left ear seems very blocked, and it's her left side she's unstable on. There could be a healthy ear drum behind the blockage but we won't know that until she shows further signs. At least I have a vet I trust, which is reassuring for me and Polly.

She isn't eating yet. But looks for the litter tray to widdle in. When I put her in, she has a little wee. I've let her out of the cage now, as the vet wanted her to have more room. My lounge is a fairly clear room, so I'm giving her little breaks in here. (Though she's purring on my lap and watching me type at the mo.)

She seems more alert (touch wood) but still wobbly. I wish she'd eat. My vet didn't want me to syringe feed her while she's feeling giddy. I've been smearing food round her mouth. Although she licks it off, she doesn't go to the dish I've place nearby. I've started putting them on some phone books, as I've seen it suggested on Purrs that the dishes are raised. But she's still not interested. She might be feeling nauseous from the dizziness and antibiotics etc.

Anyway, for the moment things look a little more hopeful. She's going back to the vet tonight (fri) so that he can assess her and give more meds if necessary.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Adding mine, and Jumpy and Tilly's names to those praying for good news.  :hug:

It was three hours ago the appointment, wasn't it? I hope no news is good news....

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Fingers crossed here.
Please spay your cat

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
All fingers and paws crossed here

ems
xxxx

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
fingers crossed hope everything is ok x praying for Polly x
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
waiting here too

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
I hope no news is good news - they must be back fro the vets now?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
I'm sorry to hear about Polly.  I hope the vet visit goes well and that s/he can help Polly.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Have only just seeen this and hope that your regular vet can help Polly, my thoughts are with you  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Hoping for good news about Polly.  I think they can tell quite a lot from looking in their eyes (like bleeding retinas caused by very high bp) and for bp Amlodipine/Istin works a lot faster than Fortekor acc to my vet.
What did Novartis have to say about Milbemax maybe causing this reaction in a cat with high bp (assume Polly has high bp?).
don't give up hope and all the best.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Sorry to hear about Polly, hope all goes well at the vets later. Just to say, my friend's cat had a stroke recently, but has made a full recovery. Also, just becuase Polly's old is not a reason to PTS if she can be successfully treated. Hopefully though, its just an unusual reaction to the milbemax and she will soon be feeling better.  :hug:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
She's not taking Fortekor, so that would be an option.

Fortekor was given to my Jeannie after her stroke as it was very high blood  pressure that caused it. Obviously if Polly did have a stroke I am not in a position to know the cause.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Overdose could be fatal as cats metabolise aspirin slowly but the recommended dose of 10mg per kg bodyweight every 72 hours should be fine (there was a thread the other day on aspirin) http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=5494.0

Here is the link to the cat that was given Bufferin + Cortisone

http://www.thecatpractice.com/case_buck.html
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 13:02:27 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
I'm very sorry to hear that Polly is unwell, Hippykitty.  Can't advise, just want to add my support.  Let us know what the vet says this afternoon.

:hug: to her and to you.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
I hope everything goes ok and the news is good  :hug:  :hug:   :hug:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Just popped back after googling bufferin and cats. Don't like the idea that it could be fatal. That's a really bad side effect for a drug to have!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Sorry, misread the thread that it was Ela's Jeannie who is on Fortekor  :-[

Also just saw Mell's message below the other one giving the name - heartening news that after 2 weeks her cat is 99% better  ;D

Re cortisone + Bufferin, maybe the vet gave 2 types of anti-inflammatory with different effects to give a quick improvement.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 12:56:06 PM by Mark »

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Thanks for the info Mark. Polly saw the emergency vet at about midnight last night, and he gave her a steroid and painkiller injection. I'm just keeping her quiet till go to the vet later. Had to make the appointment for that time if I wanted a friend to come with me for support. It will be less than 24hrs since she last saw a vet, albeit a locum.

She's resting peacefully at the moment. I've been watching over her all night and I'm crackered!

cc, ironically, Sam seems fine; and it was for her I got the Milbemax!

Buses always arrive in threes. Wonder what next?

Must have a nap before I go to the vet. Wrote down the name of the cortisone from the link, Mark, it's Delta Cortef. She's not taking Fortekor, so that would be an option.

Will see what the vet says. Hope he's on form.

ccmacey

You dont seem to be having a good time with your cats, I hope both Sam and Polly get better soon.  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Also wanted to say that 5.10pm is a long wait -although half the day has gone already. I would have thought the sooner treatment was started, the better.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 12:22:13 PM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
I will see if I can find it again. It said a specific type of cortisone but didn't say what it was. Another article I just read said her cat was treated with Cortisone and Bufferin. I just checked what Bufferin us and its buffered aspirin to be gentler on the stomach. You said Polly is on Fortekor so the vet would probably not give her that as the Fortekor leaflet says not to be taken with NSAIDS (Non Steroid anti-anflammatory drugs) and aspirin is a NSAID.

I found the article - it was one of those on the link I gave earlier

**************************Hi everyone, I just wanted to share some positive news about this topic.  My 8 year old cat had a stroke on Monday May 10 and was then attacked by a dog (poor little baby) I found her when I got home from work and her little head was tilted to the side and her third eyelid was closed over one eye and she had lost use of her left side - needless to say I rushed her to the vet unsure of what was going on.   

My important message here is that despite the fact that initially she looked terrible (couldnt walk, lost vision, had the head tilt) after two days on IV drugs (antibiotics and a cortisone specific to reducing brain swelling) she regained use of her legs and on the third day her vision returned, its now a week and one day later and i would say she is at 90% of what she was prior to the stroke.

If anyone wants me to check the bottle to find out the name of the cortisone I am happy to give the name to you at it seems to have worked wonders.  Last tuesday I felt sure I would be faced with euthanasing her but a week later she is almost normal - please dont give up too early when they have a stroke, give them 3 - 5 days at least for the drugs to work.

If anyone wants to contact me you can email me at mm072@yahoo.com

« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 12:16:33 PM by Mark »

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
The appointment's for 5.10pm.
What does the 'specific' mean? Is it a particular type?
Need all the knowledge I can get for her. Thanks.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
On one of the things I read, It said the vet can administer cortisone specific to reducing brain swelling caused by stroke.

Lets hope Polly recovers  :ahh:

What time is your appointment Hippy?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 11:55:20 AM by Mark »

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
I don't have anything useful to add - just letting you know I hope Polly recovers quickly  :hug:
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Thanks Dawn, that's much appreciated.

POLLY JUST PURRED!

This is the first time since she's been like this. I was playing a silly game through her cage, where I make a stupid noise, then go 'booooo' as I touch her nose, and she started purring. We also played 'tickly whiskers' etc, and I swear she was smiling. Samantha went to see her too, though she's a bit confused as to why Polly's being kept in the (oversized) carrying cage.

Tears came to my eyes when I heard her purr. Don't think she likes my singing very much; it makes her howl!

Ela, I think some steroids would help Polly, the emergency vet gave her an injection of some, but I think she needs them daily.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Ela, what meds is Jeannie on? Is it steroids?

No as it was blood pressure and thyroid probs  that lead to her stroke, she is on Fortekor, Felimazole & Amlodipine.
She has responded to treatment very well and her blood pressure is now almost 1/2 of what is was.

Tango my other cat who had a stroke age 14  did have steroids and lived another 4 yrs after her stroke.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
I think they do give steroids for a stroke.  I still think this has been brought on by the Milbemax, it seems a bit of a coincidence if you ask me.  I've just phoned my vets now to speak to Ian but he won't be back til this afternoon.  I will find out the symptoms and what he gave the kittens to counteract the effect of the Milbemax  :hug:

Give Polly a big hug for me, xxxx

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Ela, the friend (Nigel) who's coming with me today, worked out that she's 19/20 (my maths is no good).

Bless her, yes I suppose she is a Golden Oldie, however, that does not mean a vet should only consider PTS. Although perhaps  options of treatment are more limited more  and the prognosis a little harder to call.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Ela, what meds is Jeannie on? Is it steroids?

Want to go to vet armed with info. Anything would help, thanks.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
After my brother started to recover enough, he told us he was sort of aware we were there. He could recognise voices, etc... so she knows you're there!  ;)

A lot of cats do have heart murmurs and it doesn't effect them. Jumpy was diagnosed with one a year ago, however, he deteriorated a few weeks back and is now on lifetime meds. I am told he is at high risk of blood clots.

Bless you, and wee Polly. :care:

ccmacey

The vet's response was "oh, she's that old, better pts".  

>:(

Thats so sad to hear, I hope its just a reaction to the meds. I would take her another vets and see what they say. How old is Polly?

:hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
 :hug:  :hug: hope everything goes well at the vets today x
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Ela, the friend (Nigel) who's coming with me today, worked out that she's 19/20 (my maths is no good).

Rosella, it's the Oaks Vet Centre on Watford Road, going towards Cotteridge. The best vets are Mr Bate and Mrs Garcia. All the others are fine too except the young guy, I think his name is Boardman, or something similar. He saw Sam once when she had cystitis, and handled her like a piece of meat, very roughly. Didn't think much of his attitude toward the cat or me. The other two are great, and Mr Sender isn't bad. When I first went to the practise, about 20 years ago, Mr Sender was awful; he needed to do tests for everything. But now he's gained experience and is better with the animals and the people, and can diagnose without a plethora of expensive tests.

Pinkbear, sorry about your brother.
Polly only has a mild heart murmur, but I understand these are common and generally harmless.
I've been singing to her. Not sure if she was joining in or telling me to shut up, but she started making a howling sound. Gave her a gentle talking to. Told her we aren't ready to lose her, so she's not bloomin well going!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
HK and Polly  :hug: :hug: :hug:

HP, most of us have been there. As someone else said, you know when you know... if you know what I mean?  :-:

When it happened to my brother, we where told it could take him 48 hours or 4 years to begin to recover. Read into that what you will. From memory, strokes are caused by a blood clot lodging in the brain thus starving it of oxygen. Does she have any condition where blood clots are likely to occur? Heart problems, things like that?

It's an awful time to live through. You must be exhausted with worry, hun.  :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Fingers crossed HP. You must let me know who this star vet is as you live so local.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
I do hope this isn't the end for Polly. I know it sounds silly for such an oldie,

I and I am sure everyone else has the same hope. I expect you have stated somewhere but how old is Polly?

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Have made an appt for her to see one of my regular vets - he's an excellent diagnostician. I haven't seen him for a while, as my cats prefer a female vet (she tickles them!). If she has had a stroke, he'll know.

I've just had a phone call from the drug manufacturer, who I emailed on tues (getting my days muddled, didn't sleep last night). They want to speak to the vet because they're concerned that it might be the wormer, but they don't think so.

I do hope this isn't the end for Polly. I know it sounds silly for such an oldie, but it doesn't feel like her time. I can only hope she has a silly bug or something passing. I've every faith in the vet I'm seeing. (When I had FLV cats he was the only vet in B'ham who understood the difference between being viraemic and having clinical feline leukaemia), consequently Minnie lived for another 4 years with his support.

I hope I return with a live cat, and not another to go in the garden.

I'm taking a friend with me who'll prevent me being bullied into having her pts too soon.

:cheeky: to death!

Link to CatChat