Author Topic: Harry has nasal tumour/polyp - RIP my boy  (Read 17036 times)

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
Re: Harry has nasal tumour/polyp
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 20:02:20 PM »
sorry to hear that handsome harry isn't well.    sending you both  :hug:  Definately speak to vet about steroids.      I still have my Ginger ninja with me over a year after being diagnosed with lymphoma and I'm sure they have helped him.

Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 18:15:57 PM »
Yes, I'll ask about steroids when we go back in a weeks time - I can't remember if BB was on steroids or not  - ironic isnt it? Harry lost his best buddy BB just last year to a tumour on her jaw  :( They spent almost every minute together while she was ill  :(

Anyway. I've got him some extra little tins of hi-life and encore - so will fit in an extra mealtime for him during the day - hmmm, whats the chances of me being able to feed him without the others all thinking theyr'e getting an extra meal too?  :doh:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 16:52:40 PM »
They have Mary and the modern anesthetics are very safe for older cats,,,,,,,,,,,,,Napoleon had an op at 17 1/2 and Kocka even older but its the individual cat and what is wrong which is the problem.

Also I guess it depends on how good the vet is and support staff during the op.

I know they nearly lost Napoleon a few times but great staff during the op kept him alive and then so sad cos he just wouldnt eat anymore.

Some cats just dont cope so well like Napoleon  :(

I know that Gillian would do anything for her cats like most of us but there comes a point where we have to make hard choices, to treat or not, to operate or not etc etc

Life is a  :censored:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 15:53:18 PM »
If you ask the vet about putting him on steroid tablets it will also help him eat more and it's supposed to suppress the cancer as best it can . It worked better on Smartie than they did Sophie , it just depends on the cat I think.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 15:34:29 PM »
Aaaw poor chunky handsome Harry  :Luv2: :hug: and poor you Gillian  :hug:

It's the horrid words we all dread hearing - cancer, tumour etc.

For decades now vets and doctors always say the anasthetic isn't good for older animals/people - why the chuff haven't they done somethig about it by now?

Harry looked quite big in his recent photos and Bonnie's a lot smaller than him and she weighs Kg2.5

At least Harry is in good hands being with you but it doesn't help you making the horrid decision.

So sorry Gillian.

Mary  :hug:
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 15:12:29 PM »
Also ,check his eye as it affected Smarties eye very badly and that bled too . When he had another start in his cheek , I had to let him go .

Yes immediately thougt of Smartie when vet told me  :hug: Actually Harry's right eye has been running (clear at the moment) and because he's been shaking his head too vet looked in his ear, but had trouble seeing anything as he was a bit wriggly! It all seems to be on one side  :( 

If the vet cant operate on that place then what is point of doing an exploratory, especially when sedation/anesthetic is dangerous.

Has the vet suggested any reason for Harrys lose of weight?

Yeh, my thoughs too really.

No, she didnt say why he could be losing weight, because he's actually eating very well, 3 meals a day  :) So will just offer him more - maybe add in a lunchtime meal too  ;) His bloods were normal in Dec, T4 normal, just the high BP.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 14:34:00 PM »
Oh no, poor Harry I really sympathise as Smartie had nasal cancer , if it is cancer.
He was given a steroid injection that was supposed to last a week , but I ended up topping it up with steroid pills. There was no chance of an op or removal , my vet did a scan of his head .

Also ,check his eye as it affected Smarties eye very badly and that bled too . When he had another start in his cheek , I had to let him go .

You know my number if you want to ring.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 13:42:06 PM »
So sorry that Harry is not well  :hug: :hug:

My thoughts for what they worth for a 15yr old cat are:

If the vet cant operate on that place then what is point of doing an exploratory, especially when sedation/anesthetic is dangerous.

If the only treatment is abs what is point of exploratory.

I dont think its helpful to a cat in his later years to do things that wont actually help but are often just for the vets interest.

My aim would be to keep Harry as healthy and happy and painfree for as long as possible............one of probs is with eating cos if he cant smell properly then he wont eat and will lose weight.

Has the vet suggested any reason for Harrys lose of weight?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 13:10:25 PM »
poor harry  :'(

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
Harry has nasal tumour/polyp - RIP my boy
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 12:57:12 PM »
Back in December I took Harry to the vets as he had cystitis - he was kept in for the day and when I picked him up, vet mentioned blood coming from his nose, possibly due to mass or polyp. He'd not had any blood before, although thinking back, I do think he was sneezing often, so was just keepin an eye on it. He was diagnosed with high BP last year and has been on amlodipine since, his BP has been normal on this. Anyway, he's been sneezing a lot lately and over the weekend he sneezed explosively and there was quite a lot of blood. Vet is still thinking tumour or polyp, he's shaking his head a lot too - and apparently either tumour or polyp can affect the whole nasal/aural canals. Tumours arent always cancerous, but whether tumour or polyp, removal isnt an option because of the location  :(

Vet has given convenia jab just to keep any bacteria in the nose in check as all that blood is breeding ground, with a view to doing an exploratory - however, he's not good candidate for anaesthetic at the moment - he's lost more weight and is only just 3 kg, he's 15 yrs too. I'm wondering though, what would be the point of putting him through exploratory, if he was to put on some weight and be able too have it anyway - if there is nothing to be done?  :(
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:11:05 PM by Gillian (Ambercat) »

Link to CatChat