Author Topic: My proper introduction!!!  (Read 7078 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: My proper introduction!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 14:07:49 PM »
What a lovely boy, just love that one of him in the Santa hat  :Luv2: He must have thought all his Christmases had come at once to find himself in such a lovely retirement home  :)

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 13:56:21 PM »
What a lovely old boy, no wonder you miss him and wonderful that he found a home and someone to love him in his final months  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 12:33:01 PM »
omg so cute!!

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
    • Feral & Stray Foundation
  • Slave to: Nina, Nell, Ned, Marley, Twilight, Leon, Forest, Squirrel, Skunk, Gladys, Oscar, HRH Naughty Knickers & Uncle Albert!!
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 11:58:46 AM »
And my favourite Pumpkin pic...
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Nina, Nell, Ned, Marley, Twilight, Leon, Forest, Squirrel, Skunk, Gladys, Oscar, HRH Naughty Knickers & Uncle Albert!!
Re: My proper introduction!!! Continuing!!...
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 11:57:40 AM »
And next up, and not without a tear in my eye and lump in my throat, it's Pumpkin!

I should say straight away that my dear little pumpkin is no longer with me, but is making an appearance anyway!!

I was at work one day, and this mass or ginger mess was brought in by the RSPCA inspector as a stray. He weighed in at an emaciated 1.7kg, was bald on both sides of his chest (we though possible recent pleural effusion), matted all over, ear mites, bent feet and terrible teeth. We kept him for the 7 days, but the RSPCA said there was no chance to home him, so his fate after 7-days was PTS. A few days later I was in cat ward fussing and cooing over him, and another nurse came in. At this point, I'd said nothing, but when she said 'he's manky, who's gonna want him?' I looked into his face, and replied 'me'. And there it was. The RS inspector was so pleased (even he'd fallen a little for Pumpkin) and arranged site tests and pre-anaesthetics to check liver and kidney (which we not the best, but certainly not the worst!)
So, into the carrier he went, and he officially became our first 'oldie'  :Luv: We guestimated Pumpkin to be about 20yrs.

At home, all the other cats just plain ignored him (they probably thought if they tried to swat or play with him, he'll fall over) so he set about finding a bed (which he did quickly), and I got a couple of little baby-grows to keep him warm. We started on necessary meds and completely clipped all the mats out (apart from his head, he was almost bald). We got rid of his ear mites, and consciously got all the thick tartar off his teeth (he was in no state for an anaesthetic, and he sat good as gold!). He had a hearty appetite, climbing up to 2.5kg in the time I had him. We'd already begun his long recovery & retirement programme.

He still managed to get up to all sorts, and slept every night in between me and my boyfriend, in what Vic called 'the pumpkin patch'! I remember being in the garden with Pumpkin following me around, and the brain-damaged pigeon wandered out of his hutch (yes, even he has his own posh house!) Out of the corner of my eye, I saw this ginger ninja run like the clappers and pounce on poor pidge! The shock on that poor pigeon's face! All Vic could hear from inside the house was me outside saying 'Pumpkin, that's bad, get off the pigeon'!!

He really was a treasure, a special, special boy, and my oldie soulcat. I still miss him terribly, and of all the three oldies we've now had, he was the one who we thought would only last a few months. He lived 7 happy months with us, outlasting the two oldies we got after him, Agatha and Maggie Moo.

So, I've put a couple of pics on when we got him, and a couple towards the end of his retirement. Sadly, I woke one morning to find him in between Vic and I, struggling to breathe and barely hanging on to life. I snuggled and kissed him, and told him what I always had from the time I met him 'love ya, love ya, love ya pumpers', and helped him go to sleep at home.

As hard as it is losing any of my animals, I try very hard to think: 'OK, it hurts like crazy, but just look at the life/retirement they have with us, compared to what the alternative was'. Sometimes it works, and I manage to be strong!!

So, here's my special boy, Pumpkin (Also known as Pumpers)

And next up... Ned!

Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 09:29:52 AM »
Welcome Liz - what an epic animal family! :) And I can officially say Marley is on my "cat crush" list. I get soft spots for certain cats and he's definitely one of them.

(I know what you mean by the way - I did work placement at the local RSPCA and they had "too many ferrets." There was talk of contacting other rescues and if they didn't have space doing exactly what you're thinking. I put a reserve on one of them the same day I heard the discussion. She was a little sweetheart and used to curl up on your knee like a cat and go to sleep.)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 23:28:56 PM »
Welcome to Purrs Liz - Marley is scrumtious  :Luv2:

Knw what you mean about being soft - I always wanted to do something at RSPCA but was too scared of being upset all the time.  However, my mum has Alzheimer's and I gave up work to be her carer and I do home visits for the RSPCA now.

You will probably be like me and get attached to everyones cats on here and have a good cry when they are ill or go to the Bridge - so get your supply of tissues ready.  :hug:

Looking forward to lots of photos.  You can put your other animals on the NON cat section - we'd love to see them.  ;)

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 22:16:26 PM »
Pumpkin?  :-:  who he/she?  Not on "slave to" list ............ purrhaps he/she is your slave  :evillaugh:

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 21:58:42 PM »
Before I was a vet nurse... I had: 3 dogs, a cat, and a rabbit!!! DON'T EVER GET INTO NURSING IF YOU'RE SOFT!!!

I saw so many cats that rescues could not take, not just the old ones, either, so I always took them short-term (ahem! :sneaky:) or got a home/rescue place for them.

Wait till you see who's up next...

You'll shortly meet... Pumpkin!!!  :Luv2:

Liz xx
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 21:23:59 PM »
Here's your official welcome  :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:  ;D

I normally post this:

I do feel it my public duty to warn you though that it can be a teensy bit addictive  :Crazy: You have been warned  :evillaugh:

but have a feeling it is too late  :evillaugh:

Marley is an absolute stunner, a horrible start to life but it certainly went uphill from there!  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

So how many pets did you have BEFORE you started working as a vet nurse then?  :naughty:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 21:14:32 PM »
 :omg: :omg: :omg:  LOOK AT MARLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:catluv: :catluv: :catluv:

Oh Liz, he's is gobsmackingly gorgeous; just like our Groucho  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 21:02:53 PM »
what a cutie  :Luv2:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 20:44:08 PM »
Oh my what a gorgeous black boy Marley is  :Luv2: and a wonderful character as well. I look forward to meeting the rest of the family  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 20:37:17 PM »
My goodness you are a busy person, very nice to hear all about you and Marley is gorgeous  ;D

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
My proper introduction!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 20:28:54 PM »
Hi All,

Well, I have been on the forum a lot, mainly trying to rescue/rehome oldies, so though it was about time I introduced myself and my gang properly!!

Was going to do it in the 'introduce yourself' bit, but as I've spoken with many of you, I though I'd introduce me and my gang properly in the general section!
The formal bit... I'm Liz, I live in Newark, Nottinghamshire (originally a North Yorkshire girl), and I run a fine-art business with my partner (he's a wildlife & pet artist). I'm also a writer (just released my first supernatural novel in April) and a locum vet nurse (been nursing over 4 years, but now I locum for just a few local vets).
Nursing was maybe something I shouldn't have gotten into (soft and emotional, I love all critters dearly!) but I love the medical side, even though the job helped increase my rescue family massively!
We have 3 dogs (2 Lurchers and a Siberian Husky), 10 cats, 1 ferret, 5 rabbits, tropical fish and a brain-damaged pigeon who won't fly off!!
So, without further ado, I'll introduce you to my feline gang... along with a little of their history!! (Bear with me, I'll post their pics and stories sporadically!)

First up, we have Marley. He thinks he's a dog. He chases and fetches hair bobbles (I hear you cringing with 'oh no, foreign body!', but he never chews them, only fetches them!) He was about ten weeks old when he was brought into the practice I worked at, after being dumped in a car park. His upper lip was badly damaged and all scabbed over, hence he now has no top lip to speak of, and his upper incisors are nearly always on view! But, he's utterly gorgeous (truly), a real one-in-a-million- character, very intelligent (too flippin' clever!) and we ADORE him!! I have never in my life had a cat like him! He really is a special boy, although a little too cocky for his own good, sometimes! He loves the dogs, rabbits and the ferret, and has the widest vocal range I've ever heard!!
Anyway, meet Marley (Also known as Marley Marl, Marley Moo and Marley Bucket!)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 20:30:13 PM by MarleyMoo »
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Link to CatChat