Author Topic: Big cats - what's your opinion?  (Read 2166 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Big cats - what's your opinion?
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 09:49:18 AM »
That is just plain cruelty.  Apart from the  host of health problems overweight cats can be susceptible to, when they're that big they can't carry out normal every day activities like washing and running around.

I think that given the difficulty in getting cats to lose weight, it's much better to not let them get overweight in the first place.  I think we've got so accustomed to obesity being a part of human society that it's affected our judgement of what is overweight and what is normal, and we carry that over to our pets.   Jaffa and Mosi have never been at all overweight but I'm lucky in that they dont' go outside so I can control what they eat.

Offline kerri86

• Senior Cat
  • Tinks and Davey's mum!
  • Slave to: Davey & Tinker
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 10:44:38 AM »
that was the case with Jess too. I think as long as they're not obese and their weight isnt affecting their everyday lives then there isnt much of a problem. It's bad though that this poor cat cant even eat food from floor level, thats so sad!!

xx
<3 Tinks   xxXxx
<3 Davey xxXxx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 20:30:31 PM »
Yes that was last Oct and the vet said she was far too heavy and prob is she was still putting on weight.

Each year she seems to have added some more grams.

Offline kerri86

• Senior Cat
  • Tinks and Davey's mum!
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 19:53:12 PM »
the picture you showed Tinks (oh yes, I saw it!!)  ;) is that pretty recent? I wouldn't say her weight is anything to worry too much about Gill, from what I have seen anyway xx
<3 Tinks   xxXxx
<3 Davey xxXxx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 19:41:15 PM »
Sasas weight always worries me but she is 6kgs and not anything close to that cat.

Offline kerri86

• Senior Cat
  • Tinks and Davey's mum!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 19:09:49 PM »
Davey is a tad chunky but I'd never let a cat in my care grow to that stupendous size! I agree its cruelty and cant believe its got the publicity for the wrong reasons. publicity should be for abuse!! x
<3 Tinks   xxXxx
<3 Davey xxXxx

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 19:00:30 PM »
A little cuddly is fine but that cat is being abused. The owner is the one in control of his food intake and by over-feeding the cat is subjecting the cat to cruelty. It's not funny it's sick.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 18:59:56 PM »
I hope those pics are photoshopped  :-:

Looking back at pics of Tiggy and her brother as middle aged adults they were probably a bit chunkier than the ideal but nothing unhealthy!

Lu is chunkier than Riley but not overweight, just cuddly  :Luv2: Riley is massive in that he is sooooo long, he's quite beanpole like but still weighs 6kg. I've no idea where he puts it as he doesn't stop eating  :evillaugh:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 18:52:10 PM »
My cat 'Chubby' was.....chubby, but nothing like the cat in that pic. That doesn't even look like a cat  :censored:

I'm happy with a cat being a bit porky as long as they are happy, but if my cats got remotely to that size, I couldn't not do anything about it.

Offline kerri86

• Senior Cat
  • Tinks and Davey's mum!
Big cats - what's your opinion?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 18:25:48 PM »
One of my best pets I've had in the past was Jess my gorgeous black and white cat who sadly died last year.

Years and years ago we took him to the vets for a check up and were told he was slightly overweight and needed to lose some weight. To me, he was not close to being "fat" but looking back, knowing what I now know, he was chubby. We restricted his intake and made sure he got more exercise but he always remained chubby. He was always a healthy cat and died age 16 from a tumor  :(

I just came across this article though and am slightly concerned that the owner of this cat in particular doesn't seem to be concerned in the slightest about his cats weight.

What are your thoughts on overweight cats?

See article and pics - http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200701/30/eng20070130_346074.html
<3 Tinks   xxXxx
<3 Davey xxXxx

Link to CatChat