Author Topic: Need a cat flap - help!  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Need a cat flap - help!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 00:48:05 AM »
My big boy Misa goes through a large Cat Mate one and there is no need to change the flap once its in , unless it gets too small  :shify:

Offline cj

• Adult Cat
  • My babys Joey, Charlie and baby Katie xxx
  • Slave to: Joey and Charlie and baby Katie x
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 00:43:32 AM »
Dnt worry they are currently in by 11pm at night and i wont let them back out again even if they cry.....they have 3 litter trays to choose from for throu the night.  Cleaned every day!

Im off to have another look at the microchip ones on the various sites see if i can check the weight, im sure hes lost alittle bit weight!  Having said that my neighbour thought he was pregnant the other day.....i was horrified!

I have loads of pics on my Blackberry phone i dnt know how to upload them tho!  My boys are seriously wanting to show themselves off!  My other neighbour said she could watch Joey all day as shes never see a cat like him, hes a long haired lovely!

Thanks for the replys!  Will let you know what i decide!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 20:26:50 PM »
Microchip flap would be my preference too, there's the SureFlap or the PetPorte to choose from so maybe see whcih one has a bigger flap.

Have you got a pic of your big boy? My Riley is 6kg (13.2lb) but is beanpole thin as he's so long. As Michelle says I bet you'd be surprised at what he can get through, if there was a small hole in your kitchen door with some chicken on the side I bet he'd slip through easy peasy!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 20:18:23 PM »
I would definitely go for the mirco-chip one.

You'd be surprised what Joey would be able to get through!

I'd also lock the flap at night, I don't think its safe that they have free rein going out all hours ;)

Offline cj

• Adult Cat
  • My babys Joey, Charlie and baby Katie xxx
  • Slave to: Joey and Charlie and baby Katie x
Need a cat flap - help!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 02:48:20 AM »
Ok im looking at getting a cat flap sometime next week  ;D

I have looked a simply dozens of the darn things and i simply cant decide what one to go for!  I like the microchip ones only my boy Joey is rather overweight at 13lbs, im not sure if he would fit throu it!  Looking at the tag ones, my boy Charlie has lost his saftey collar 3x im worried he will lose his collar again and will be unable to get back in the house!  >:(

Ive also looked at manual ones by cat mate the large cat small dog ones, do you think i should go for this and hope it will keep out the neighbourhood cats?  Joey is currently on a diet....i dnt really want a massive hole in my door only to have to get another smaller flap when Joey loses weight...as the smaller ones would not fit the bigger hole so would have to replace the door!!

Im currently up and down at the back door letting them in/out about 20x a day/night....doing my head in abit after a year of this!!  Need a cat flap....any ideas??

Link to CatChat