Author Topic: Anyone using Cats Best Oko plus - has it changed?  (Read 3606 times)

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
Re: Anyone using Cats Best Oko plus - has it changed?
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 20:05:11 PM »
Yup - mine was the 40L from ZooPlus so possibly still the old style stuff! I saw that the price had gone up again at PAH and it was much cheaper this way. May try Jollyes next time though as we have one not too far away.

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 13:42:45 PM »
yes its strange, it is one of the 30lt bags so I assume the same stuff as you have but I have definitely noticed less tracking although it could be they haven't been using the tray as much???
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 13:43:16 PM by Dawn F »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 13:35:52 PM »
I too thought I was imagining it.  But when I started sneezing due to the dustiness of it, I knew it was different from previous bags.  One of the main reasons I use it is to stop the sneezing!  My sister who has some (in London probably purchased from PAHome) also said she had noticed it was finer and dusty too.

It is almost as if it has been stacked too high, and been crushed.  Mine came from a well known veterinary product supplier, who up until now, I could thoroughly recommend.

Looks like they might have changed the forumla rather than it being a bad batch? I bought mine instore at Jollyes (large pet superstore type place). It also feels much lighter when scooping. I have to say it clumps even better now it's lighter/finer. The tracking was/is my main consideration and it's not looking good on the tracking front  :tired:

hadn't noticed it had changed but had noticed I was sweeping up less

Less?! Can we swap bags please Dawn!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 13:18:05 PM »
hadn't noticed it had changed but had noticed I was sweeping up less

Offline madasacatter

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 23:43:04 PM »
I too thought I was imagining it.  But when I started sneezing due to the dustiness of it, I knew it was different from previous bags.  One of the main reasons I use it is to stop the sneezing!  My sister who has some (in London probably purchased from PAHome) also said she had noticed it was finer and dusty too.

It is almost as if it has been stacked too high, and been crushed.  Mine came from a well known veterinary product supplier, who up until now, I could thoroughly recommend.
Coventry Cat Group

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 12:22:22 PM »
Now you mention it Shona I don't think they do the 40L bag in the UK anymore  :shify: I used to buy the 40L from Jollyes but they changed it to 30L and it seems to be 30L bags online too. Did you get the 40L from Zooplus Bryony?

I've taken a phone pic of the stuff I have...

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 12:10:51 PM »
I remember it being larger too, it could be Bryony has an "old" bag from the warehouse. I haven't bought any in ages as I bought the same sack Bryony did and as mine mostly go outside it's lasted well over 6 months and still going strong!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 12:09:23 PM »
I would describe the texture now as being like porridge oats, some whole and some crushed. It also feels a lot 'lighter' to scoop around ie when I'm smoothing the surface over after scooping it feels very lightweight.  I recall the Oko being mini gravel-y type pieces  :-:

It's some time since I've used oko but that is not how I recall it (the porridge oats texture).  I remember it as quite large pieces which was one of the reasons I stopped using it.  It's one thing to have small grained litter scattered around but another to have my living room covered in gravel sized pieces!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 11:56:06 AM »
Thanks Bryony, maybe it's just me with false memory syndrome then!  :doh:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 08:40:54 AM »
I've been using it for years and I don't think I've noticed it change, unless they've done it slowly and I wasn't paying attention! The only thing that changed this time around is that I ordered 40L of it and didn't think about the fact that it would come in a huge sack!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Anyone using Cats Best Oko plus - has it changed?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 01:48:29 AM »
I used Cats Best Oko plus for ages but switched to Cats Best Natures gold about 6 months ago as the Oko tracking was driving me mad. The Natures gold has gone up in price loads over the last 6 months so have decided to go back to Oko. I bought a 30l bag today and it looks completely different to how it was when I last used it. It seems that each granule is around three times smaller than they used to be ie each chunk of old style Oko has been cruched into approx three much smaller pieces.

Is it just me with false memory syndrome or has anyone else noticed it has changed? The tracking is going to be even worse if that was even possible!  :tired: :tired: :tired:

Edit: I would describe the texture now as being like porridge oats, some whole and some crushed. It also feels a lot 'lighter' to scoop around ie when I'm smoothing the surface over after scooping it feels very lightweight.  I recall the Oko being mini gravel-y type pieces  :-:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 02:05:00 AM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Link to CatChat