Author Topic: Sardines  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Elanor3

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Indie, Ember, Fig
Re: Sardines
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 10:13:09 AM »
http://www.ehow.com/how_5930963_gut-frozen-sardines-grilling.html

thanks ......... i started to cringe by instruction 2, and when we got to number 3 i took them out and popped them in the bin .......... yeuk.  :sick:

thank goodness for felix and whiskas pouches

Dont blame you! I have been veggie since I was 11and can handle meat and fish for family and friends but nothing with a head  :sick:

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: mog, jango & sooty, honey & amber, and flipper ......... additional guests welcome :)
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 08:30:30 AM »
http://www.ehow.com/how_5930963_gut-frozen-sardines-grilling.html

thanks ......... i started to cringe by instruction 2, and when we got to number 3 i took them out and popped them in the bin .......... yeuk.  :sick:

thank goodness for felix and whiskas pouches

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 14:57:06 PM »
And after all this........................................................ he will turn his nose up at them  :evillaugh: :naughty: :rofl: :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 09:38:28 AM »
mine love oily fish (shame i do too so they dont get much  :rofl:)

apparently sardines dont need to be gutted so id just put it whole as is in an oven proof dish and grill/bake/roast on a lowish heat til it looks browned, let it cool till room temp/body temp and then offer it to him

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: mog, jango & sooty, honey & amber, and flipper ......... additional guests welcome :)
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 07:57:43 AM »
You don't often see ready frozen sardines.

packaging is portugese.

i'll steal myself to examine them a bit more closely later.  i can cope with meat/fish in cat pouches and fully respect my cats' right to be carnivorous ..... but facing something that still has eyes in it is pushing my veggie sensibilities a bit  :sick:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 00:12:54 AM »
Do you mean they were once fresh fishmonger sardines with a sell-by date that has been exceeded because the fish have since been frozen? You don't often see ready frozen sardines. The official advice for fresh meat/ fish is to use within three months of home freezing tho most people exceed that since freezing prevents bacteria growing.

Cats digestive systems are not like human ones as they are far more acidic and far shorter - ideally suited to eating RAW meat and all the risks that entails. As long as the fish looks and smells fine I wouldn't be too bothered, kitty will tell you if his sensitive nose detects anything you don't. I 'd be more conservative with prawns as they have a higher risk of hosting nasty bacteria.  :sick:

Personally I'd defrost the fish in the fridge and steam them in the microwave immediately before serving (glass or china dish, small amount of water, cling film - break up/ turn fish every 30 secs). If you ensure they are cooked right through - meat should change colour - almost all microbes will be deaded.  :evillaugh: 
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 23:17:27 PM »
I would throw them too , would be worried it would make the cat poorly

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 22:48:17 PM »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 21:22:43 PM »
If they're frozen sardines (rather than fresh that have been frozen) I think they'll be fine - no idea how to cook them though I'm afraid!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 21:11:17 PM »
As they are out of date I would dump them!

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
Sardines
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 20:53:39 PM »
My latest foster boy arrived with some food he'd had at the where he'd briefly been taken in.  Handful of pouches, half a box of biscuits .... and a bag of slightly out of date frozen sardines.  Having been veggie for nearly 30 years I've no idea what to do with them or what sort of preparation they need to be suitable for feline consumption.  Any ideas? 

Link to CatChat