Author Topic: Belgium & its cat problem, legally binding to neuter cats.. Discuss  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: Belgium & its cat problem, legally binding to neuter cats.. Discuss
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 16:18:57 PM »
Seriously... ask any rescue. We see unneutered pedigrees dumped all the time.  :tired: And even where there is a contract in place, if the owner is hell bent on ignoring it things become very difficult for the breeder to enforce. We have someone here who is a breeder who is going through hell because a buyer has failed to get a female kitten neutered and it's now 8 months old.  :scared:

Just do a quick search on the 'tree' site or any other freeads and see how many crosses of this, that and the other or even full pedigrees (no papers hence why cheap, of course! ) you can find.  :innocent:

I agree there are some very responsible breeders and some are represented here on purrs.... but there's plenty enough rip off merchants and cowboys elsewhere out to make a quick buck.  >:(

Offline Kucinta

• Adult Cat
  • Milo & Remy
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 15:59:42 PM »
A very nice idea but I can see a flaw in the plan.... what's going to happen when all those pedigrees are chucked out and start feral groups?  :shify: We already see how many Bengals, persians etc. end up being dumped. 

Reputable pedigree breeders insist that cats are neutered unless they are on the active register for breeding.

I had to agree to that as part of my contract when I acquired my Singapura boys.

I also had to send the proof that they had both been neutered before the breeder would send me their pink papers to show transfer of ownership from her to me.

I suppose not all breeders are quite so responsible, but I would imagine the majority are.

While being pedigree dosen't stop animals being dumped, I'd hope a much smaller proportion of them would be capable of reproduction.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 16:02:34 PM by Kucinta »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 13:05:16 PM »
The cat cull is considered a tourist attraction, an excuse for a fancy-dress party. Yvette Deraedt enjoys Ypres's feline festival.

Thats horrible  :(

I'll be interested to see how it works if it becomes law.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 15:54:36 PM »

Apart from that, some brilliant ideas there. I have been banging on for ages about banning adverts in shop notice boards and newspapers.  :sneaky:

And even worse, in vets  :Crazy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 12:20:48 PM »
A very nice idea but I can see a flaw in the plan.... what's going to happen when all those pedigrees are chucked out and start feral groups?  :shify: We already see how many Bengals, persians etc. end up being dumped.  :tired: That's a scarey thought... a whole colony of feral Bengals!  :Crazy: I shall be asking for danger money!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Apart from that, some brilliant ideas there. I have been banging on for ages about banning adverts in shop notice boards and newspapers.  :sneaky:

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Belgium & its cat problem, legally binding to neuter cats.. Discuss
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 10:47:17 AM »
COPIES FROM THE GUARDIAN sEPT 10..
Lots of discussion here i think. There are other artcles as well

The Belgian government has come up with a radical way to deal with the burgeoning cat population – to sterilise all but a select few of the animals within five years.

If it is passed into law, the country will embark on a phased neutering of all cats except exotic pedigrees at the start of next year, and there will be a ban on using corner shops, noticeboards and small ads to get rid of unwanted litters of kittens.

The feline population in Belgium, a country of 11 million people, has increased to an estimated 1.7 million, and the culling of cats has become a daily routine. According to the health ministry, more than 13,000 were killed in animal refuges last year, more than one in three of the country's 37,000 strays.

"We are confronted with a dramatic situation," said Jan Eyckmans of the Belgian health ministry. "So our minister asked the animal welfare council to come up with ideas."

The result is the Multi-annual Cat Plan 2011-2016, which says sterilisation is necessary "to halt the increase in the numbers of strays and cats collected in shelters".

Initially, all cats in shelters will be sterilised. The next phase imposes neutering on cats from breeders and sellers. Finally, all cat owners will be obliged to have their pets sterilised and registered, costing about €130 (£108) for a female cat and €50 for a tom. Breeders and owners of Siamese, Abyssinian and other special pedigrees will be exempted from the new regime.

"If you buy a very expensive cat for €600 and want to have kittens, you can't sterilise them all," said Eyckmans. "We need to find the right balance."

Many are sceptical about the proposal. "Not a good idea. It won't be easy. They'll never be able to sterilise all the cats," said Alan, who helps to run the Nos Amis Fidèles (Our Faithful Friends) kennels in Waterloo, south of Brussels.

"Pet owners will rebel and refuse to do it," agreed Marleen Meersseman, who helps to run a rescue service for stricken wild animals in the Flemish village of Nieuwkerke. "And this wouldn't be Belgium if people did not find a back door."

But the animal welfare lobby is strongly supportive of the scheme.

"We don't want the cat to vanish from the earth," said Ann De Greef, director of Gaia, which is taking the campaign to the town squares of Belgium and reports "enormous support".

"A cat can have one pregnancy every six months and 36 offspring in less than 16 months," said De Greef.

The new project is the first to propose compulsory sterilisation nationally. It will be watched closely in other countries wrestling with ballooning cat populations.

Cat culls have a long history in Belgium. In Ypres, in western Flanders, they've been hurling the animals from the belfry of the 12th-century Cloth Hall for hundreds of years in an annual ritual to ward off the devil.

The massacre continues, now every three years. But nowadays the cats are fluffy, velveteen toys. The cat cull is considered a tourist attraction, an excuse for a fancy-dress party. Yvette Deraedt enjoys Ypres's feline festival. But the pensioner, who tends the eight strays at the ancient Flemish town's municipal animal shelter, would not dream of killing a cat.

"The vet euthanised one earlier this year, but it was very sick. Otherwise we would never do that," she said.
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Link to CatChat