Author Topic: Have used Jeyes baby care sterilising fluid to clean a wicker cat carrier....  (Read 4572 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
I don't think that amount would have done any harm - not even to the bacteria  :evillaugh:

Maybe I should clean it with some hibiscrub too..... :shy: OK, I'm getting obsessed now aren't I? ;) :hug:

Told you before, Dancer....never hurts to be careful. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
tut tut  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
Time to admit I'm the one that caused all this worry! :scared:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
I don't think that amount would have done any harm - not even to the bacteria  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
I think I used a small enough amount to be safe. It was EASILY less than a cap full in a full jug of warm water. I then rinsed it with the shower head and left it to dry.

OK, I'm fairly sure it's sorted and safe. Thanks for humouring me, Mark! :hug: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton

I was told by CP to avoid any product with: coal tar, wood tar, pine oil (fennels and derivatives.)

That will be phenols - they are what is in any disinfectant that turns cloudy in water. Also found in most essential oils. Cats can't break down phenols and it poisons them. Your stuff isn't phenolic, it like a weaker version of domestos or similar. It should be fine if it is rinsed well but not sure about materials that are absorbant. If it was me, I would give it a really good rinse under a shower/tap and hope that it keeps its shape when it dries. A steamer would probably be the best thing to sterilize something like that, although it would possibly go soft and could go out of shape.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 19:52:25 PM by Mark »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
OK, in this product is: sodium hydroxide less than 0.25%, sodium hydrochlorite less 2 1/2%.

I was told by CP to avoid any product with: coal tar, wood tar, pine oil (fennels and derivatives.)

I think it's OK. Both people asked if I was joking or winding them up when I gave my email address because they found it so funny it was "crazycat." :shy:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Called Jeyes, they say it's fine. Called the CP helpline to make sure and they said no. It's all so much clearer..... :shocked:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Not sure but I would have thought it would be hard to rinse something that is absorbant. Maybe best to email Jeyes to be safe.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Is that good or bad? I am completely flummoxed as to whether I've cleaned this basket safely or not now.....

I didn't put a lot of the cleaning fluid in with the warm water, but don't want to risk the meowsers, obviously!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
So it is bleach - probably the same strength as Milton fluid. Not sure really as surely wicker is absorbant?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Interesting -  all it says for ingredients is "less than 5% Sodium Hypochlorite."

Odd thing to say, but having sniffed the carrier it doesn't even smell of the stuff.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Give me a minute....

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Without knowing what is in it, I can't say. I tried googling but nothing came up.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,22115.msg385828.html#msg385828

This thread was just pointed out to me. Does it apply to the stuff I used too? Is it safe?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Is it safe? I've just had someone tell me they aren't sure it is.

And if it isn't what do I do to the carrier to ensure it's safe for a cat to use after I've cleaned with it? Help, am panicking now.

Link to CatChat