Author Topic: More Cats?  (Read 2284 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: More Cats?
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 14:42:40 PM »
Emma, it's difficult getting a good balance in a multi-cat household and I think the fact you asked for opinions on the site shows how much you love your two. I don't think anyone doubted that. ;)

I completely understand your frustration regarding helping; I find myself upset by this regularly too.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 13:49:46 PM »
I have considered all of those things. I know you don't know me but my animals come first always. If we split up I would keep the cats as they are mine and I could afford bills where we are on my own.
I am very aware of landlords policies but I actually own my flat so that's not a problem!

However after reading all the posts I have decided not to get any more cats... Thanks for all your replys I really appreciate it :-)
You kind of have a misconception that they would just love a new kitten when in fact they actually wouldn't!
My  pets I have now are always my number 1 priority and so I'll just stick with the 2.
Thanks guys :-) xx

Sorry if I came over as thinking you would not put your cats first, you would not have posted if you were the selfish type.  :hug: I own my flat too but - having been both unemployed and too ill to work - I know how tough it can be to live alone on benefits. My concern was not so much over the landlord's policy as the freeholder's policy, i.e. what is written in  the long lease. I am lucky there are no covenants here but I do know of other blocks where restrictions have been enforced after neighbour complaints.  :(
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 08:05:16 AM »
oh Emma, you are not alone in wanting to help, I'm sure most of us have thought oh just one more when we've seen a sad story but I am another who has cats who don't like each other much, they came as a pair from a rescue but I soon realised they weren't big fans of each other, that was 4 years ago and they still won't sit together or anything they just ignore but it has taken a lot of work and feliway!  sounds like you have a lovely set up at home so just enjoy it, maybe fostering as was suggested might be a way to help?

Offline Emma2Cats

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 07:19:33 AM »
I have considered all of those things. I know you don't know me but my animals come first always. If we split up I would keep the cats as they are mine and I could afford bills where we are on my own.
I am very aware of landlords policies but I actually own my flat so that's not a problem!

However after reading all the posts I have decided not to get any more cats... Thanks for all your replys I really appreciate it :-)
You kind of have a misconception that they would just love a new kitten when in fact they actually wouldn't!
My  pets I have now are always my number 1 priority and so I'll just stick with the 2.
Thanks guys :-) xx

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 00:23:47 AM »
I think two cats is sufficient for the majority of flats, especially when they cannot escape the situation. From what you describe there is a real risk of any one of the three cats suffering from stress or getting injured.  :( Playing with four indoor cats daily would also be a big commitment time wise.

Please consider how you would cope if you split up, two people trying to find one bedroom flats with four cats to consider would be nightmare. I am not sure if you are renting, but many long leases have covenants about whether you can keep pets. This is not the discretion of the landlord but of the freeholder or managing agent. All you need is one neighbour to complain about the noise of fighting or successful escape attempts. 
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 19:41:53 PM »
I would say stick with two. To be honest I completely understand how you feel and I would love another cat. However if I did, I would still look at the homeless and unwanted cats that I know I could give love to, so then I would be thinking about four!. The terms "forever home" is used a lot and it is what I believe in. I am pretty sure that no matter what happens and life throws at me, as long as I am on this planet I will fight to keep a roof over Ella and Effie's head. The more cats I had, the harder that would be.

Plus next year I will have my first holiday in 3 years and they will have to go to a cattery (which I am already stressed about ten months in advance) the prices for two on top of a holiday is quite concerning!!!!

And also Ella and Effie's attitudes to one another have changed. They are no longer close, which is sad as they ahev been together since they were 8 weeks old (from different litters) Ella loves other cats and wants to clean and snuggle next to Effie. Effie would probably be happier in a one cat household. If (god forbid) anything was to happen to Ella, I would not replace her as Effie would never accept another cat. On the flipside, I think Ella would hate being the only cat, if Effie wasn't here. What I am trying to say is your cats temperments may change.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 00:49:48 AM by funkycub »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 19:28:55 PM »
I have to say, I'd agree with sticking with your two girls for the time being, based purely on what your opinion is of their personalities.

I've had five cats all co-exist amazingly well in the past (Carrie, Jack, Toby, Parsley and Sage all lived together with very little disruption) and I know I was extremely lucky. The calm is not always apparent now with the group of four we have; Darwin is a little bit too hyper for our skitty kitty, Sage. And Carrie has dementia which can apparently grate on other cats nerves..... (I've seen both Astryd and Sage bop her on the head if she yowls too long!)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 18:18:39 PM »
If you have a spare room then consider fostering. That way you potentially help out more than another cat or two and you don't have to be too worried about the financial side.
You will be able to see what your cats think of the arrangement and see how stressed they get with new cats in even if they do not mix.
If it doesn't work out then you do not need to continue, if it does work out then you could potentially be helping dozens of cats each year. You may even find you perfect flatmates this way and join the ranks of failed fosterer!

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 17:01:42 PM »
Honestly.....!

Of course, you're the only one who knows your cats, but if I were you I would stick with the status quo! It always gets to me when I know there are cats in need, but whenever i've fosterered, my own cat Katie has been very unhappy. She too hates other cats and although she has access to the outdoors, she's pretty much an indoor cat in a 1 bed flat. It became really stressful for us to keep the cat seperate and see our beloved cat become so stressed out. We only did it 3 times and all our fosters went onto great homes.

I think that you've got to see how the home looks to your cats and if you introduce another 2 cats, you're effectively cutting their territory in half and with them being so young, they may become frustrated. It may be different if they had an outdoor territory as well, but being indoors only limits where they can go etc.

Really don't want to sound preachy at all and like I said, you know you're own cats! Good luck with what you decide!!!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 16:42:45 PM »
Ummmmmmmm you asked lol

I had two cats who were fine until I brought two other cats in.....this was about 4 yrs ago..........there is an unhappy harmony now but the first few months were hell.

I wish I had stuck with the two tbh, although I love all 4. I have 3 boys and one semi feral girl, and the jealousy among the boys is terrible even now,

Just my experience but everyone will have others.

Kittens get homes easier from rescues than older cats.

Offline Emma2Cats

• Adult Cat
More Cats?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 14:56:44 PM »
Hi Guys,
I need a really honest lot of answers in regards to my questions please.
I live in a 2 bedroom flat with my BF and 2 kittens - almost 1 year old and both girls.
I really didnt think I wanted any more cats as my 2 are so happy as they are and get on well and its very harmonious.

However since helping rehome some cats and finding all the cat rescues are full etc its really touched a nerve for me and I have started thinking about getting 1 or 2 more cats. I can afford it inc food, insurance, etc and wouldnt think of considering it if I couldnt.
Tansy is very agressive with other cats - we let her meet my partners parents cats and she hissed and then went a little mad and turned on my other kitten Mitzi. She also smelt a stray we had in our spare room for only half an hour and got hissy and turned on Mitzi again as if it
was her fault or maybe it  confused her I dont know! So this also worried me.
Mitzi is fairly laid back if a little nervous.
I want views aswell as peoples experiences please....

Has anyone had 2 cats and introduced more succesfully? I have heard that cats arent social and may not take to new ones?
Is it better to look at kittens rather than adults?
Do kittens get homes quickly in rescues?
Is it better to get an additional one or two and male or female?

I want peoples opinions and experiences please. Thanks :)

Link to CatChat