Author Topic: Changing vets - any experience? - bad idea?  (Read 4725 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Changing vets - any experience? - bad idea?
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 16:29:28 PM »
Whose to say the Vets4Pets aren't trusted vets though? They are all vets at the end of the day with the same qualifications, some care more than others but there's nothing to say that the Vets4Pets vets wouldn't be as caring.

I wouldn't have thought they encouraged people to use them only for vaccines but as to how they would police it is another matter. The snag might come when/if they spot something at a vaccination/check up and you can't exaclty whip them off the examining table and say 'it's OK thanks, I go elsewhere'!.

Mark - MSE are not misers  :P I've saved a fortune by using that site, I've found so many bargains and ways to save money it's almost addictive  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 16:23:12 PM »

some over on the MSE site use both.

But they are basically misers  :evillaugh:. I would never dream of allowing my cats to be treated by anyone other than a trusted vet. I'm surprised they allow people to use another vet for everything else as it sounds like a way of keeping customers. After all, the actual vaccines probably cost very little.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 16:24:59 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Christie

• Adult Cat
  • Beloved Bella Lucia
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 16:18:42 PM »
You might ask your current vet if they either have or are contemplating some kind of "well cat" program. Our vet has an annual program; you can pay a small amount each month and for that you get 2 checkups per year, vaccinations and flea/tick treatment, and a few other things. It works out as a pretty good deal; if your vet has something similar, you might compare costs with the other place. Or at the very least, maybe your vet would consider starting something like that.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 23:26:32 PM »
It's quite simple for me coz I've been through a bad experience with a cat being pts by previous vet :(  I have also recently had a bit of a scare with Noni's vaccination  :scared: sooooo not a chance in hell of me using a vet other than the current one that I know and trust even for vacs.

I really don't like the idea of paying up front for vacs for life.  Sounds too cheap and cheerful to be good value.  Perhaps I'm too much of a cynic but hey, I'm almost 50 and that's the way the cookie crumbles in my experience  ;)

Offline purrdy1

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 21:21:06 PM »
hmm its a difficult one.....i changed my vet basically becasue he charged a second mortgage for routine things....but also he would give advice and so called support that was not helpfulto me or the animals concerned, it seemed to me that all he was interested in was his bank balance.

The new vet is at Pets at home...they loked after Twig and Fern did their spays, vaccinations and chipping for a very reasonable price...I had no probs getting them seen and even when Fern had a few problems after her spay she was seen the next day....I couldnt fault them

I guess its a difficult one....especially if you have one vet in the area who monopolises on the trade and takes all the busniness.....I think sometimes its good that other vets come in and see more customsers...it makes it fair and available to many....rather than expensive and only available to a few.

Saying that i did see this chaps partner when Mollie was in pieces after a RTA....and they did a superb job on her...that was AFTER my hubby had demanded a set price! :tired: rather than that ongoing ching ching vets seem to do!....

it cost us 600 in the end....but she looks at beautiful as seh ever did...with a slightly chipped front tooth..... :'(

just myexperience and views for waht its worth?

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Lil_Scruff

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Scratchy, Bear, Busta, Bronx, Brooklyn and part-time cats Scruff, Scamp and Scrumpberry
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 17:45:46 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for all of your replies. To be honest it's just the vaccination programme which I'm interested in at V4P. I certainly agree that something so invasive and sensitive as a spaying should be done somehere I trust. Which also happens to be the nearest so the car journey will be the less stressful.

It's just that the £100 lifetime vaccinations is such good value. All of mine are currently uptodate but when I think of the potential savings it really is quite a bit.

Very interesting to hear that some over on the MSE site use both. Thanks for that.

Cheers again,

S.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 15:47:40 PM »
It is a difficult ethical question because many slaves don't have unlimited funds. People on MSE forums do use Vets4Pets just for the vaccinations offer, then their local vets for everything else and this seems to work fine. I wouldn't be happy to have Noah undergo even a routine operation anywhere that I didn't know and trust; I'd be willing to pay the extra as I'd not forgive myself if anything went wrong.  I invoke the moneysaving genes when it comes to litter (buy in bulk online), food (value for money not cheap'n'nasty) and routine care such as nail clipping (DIY). Sometimes the RSPCA or CP have offers on microchipping.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline cheekycj

• Adult Cat
  • Light of my life...my two boys Joey and Charlie x
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 14:33:13 PM »
Hey,

I seen this offer for vacinated for life at my "local" V4P...i was quite tempted to take my boys at the time....only thing is my "local" is about a 10mins bus ride away. 

My regular vet is just round the corner. Just a small pratice, altho i must say the pratice partner (a guy in his late 50s) doesnt seem to have a good bedside manner with my Joey....infact so much so Joey hissed and scrached at him and is now terrified of the cat carrier!!  :( I ask to see a lady vet he likes when i take him.

Just call them...ask afew questions about the vets and how many they have what experience etc.....or check online for reviews? Or bite the bulltet and take one of your cats along for a routine health check.....give you a feel for the place before you take on anything like having your cat spayed....just a thought  :)

cj

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 20:29:12 PM »
I go past one vets (which i could walk to) to get to mine, so im with the stick to the best vet plan. If you just spay and chip elsewhere it shouldnt matter but i'd always opt for where i know the service is better. I assume this new vets is part of a chain so can offer such deals, the bad side is the vets dont neccessarily care as much as they are not working under their own business name

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 18:40:58 PM »
I so agree and getting a vets that you know and like and treat your cats well is the optimum.......no way would I change if your vets are purrfect.

I have my cats registered at two vets but even that did not stop problems when Franta became very ill on the way back from one that had closed. Initially they refused to see him and had to ummmmm threaten them that if he died I would know where to come!

Franta had to be completely transferred over that weekend and running an in house emergency service costs more money than just using Vets Now.

The other didvantage of a large practice is they usually have a rota of vets and you dont see that same one trwice and they dont get to know your cats the tlc and otherstuff vanishes cos they are just in a rush all the time to see as many animals in the shortest period.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 18:28:40 PM »
I agree with Sheryl on this one - i have neare vets than the one i go to which is 20 minute or so drive -but i trust them and would never change .

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 18:26:56 PM »
Personally to me having a vets that I can trust and who treat the animals with TLC is the most important thing - I could use a cheaper vet which is closer to home but wont because I am comfortable with the vets I have.  I think that a lot of times in life the saying "you get what you pay for" is very true.  If you are happy with your current vet I would stay with them.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Lil_Scruff

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Scratchy, Bear, Busta, Bronx, Brooklyn and part-time cats Scruff, Scamp and Scrumpberry
Changing vets - any experience? - bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 16:40:07 PM »
Hi all,

I'm thinking of changing vets and am after some opinions.

There's nothing wrong with my current vets whatsoever and I feel almost guilty for contemplating changing. I can always get an appointment either same or next day if that's what I wish and their 'bedside manner' with my cats has always been spot on. They also have a very good name in the area.

The reason I'm thinking of changing is because I've only recently become aware of a Vets4Pets in my town and the schemes they run such as the jabs for life seems excellent value. I'm also due for a spaying (not myself I might add!) and would want chipping done at the same time which will obviously be cheaper at V4P. One problem with V4P I'm guessing is as they're so cheap they must be popular thus I'd worry about getting an emergency appointment.

Is it possible to remain registered to two practices so that I can get 'routine' things done at Vets4Pets but remain on the books at my original vet for emergencies? I drive so no probs with transport. My current vet is in the same village as me and Vets4Pets about a 10 min drive.

Before getting my cats I assessed whether we could pay vets bills, which we can, so I can afford to stay with the current vet no probs but the savings are so much that it's made me wonder.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Cheers all,

S.

Link to CatChat