Author Topic: Smelly Kitten  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Smelly Kitten
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 12:19:38 PM »
Whiskas has the same effect on my cats  :sick:  at least it did when I tried Mosi on the whiskas kitten when he was little.   It sounds like a food change might be beneficial.  If he's been used to whiskas kitten you could try him on whiskas adult as it's less rich.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 22:08:21 PM »
The 4% thing really isn't true. It has to be a minimum of 4% of the named flavour is all - However, I doubt there is a huge amount of meat in it.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 15:26:23 PM »
Noah's poops stink the entire flat out :sick: on any food containing cereals/ grains which limits dry to Orijen and Applaws. Whiskas dry is only about 4% meat which is not ideal for an obligate carnivore: if it were me I'd wouldn't open the Whiskas kibble and return to the store! I don't agree that Whiskas is too rich - we usually use that word to refer to high protein and high fat meals for humans - cats are completely different to us that they need plenty of meat and fat (as well as bone and offal).

I wouldn't go so far as to call Whiskas pouches MacDonalds as they are not any worse than the vast majority of commercial wet food ingredient wise, and far more biologically appropriate than most dry foods. You might try a probiotic supplement (friendly bacteria) such as Lacto-B to see if that helps him process the carbs and fibre in the dry food? The best food to keep Noah smell free is a raw diet which is actually far cheaper than most commercial cat food.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 07:38:44 AM »
mine wont eat whiskas - only felix. I bought some classic (cheaper tinned food ) for the 'outside cats' and mine think, mmmm give us a bit mum  :shocked:  NOW if I bought it for them they wouldn't eat it.

Thai used to trump a lot when she was a kitten, thankfully 8 years on she has grown out of it, but she has the occasional cabbage trump, mainly when lying next to me at night  :sick:   :rofl:.

As for the Bengals they just  :sick: smelly boys - but I do love them.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 00:34:07 AM »
Some Whiskas pouches do have cereals

I didn't realise that. It seems the gravy ones do. That probably explains why gravy food upsets some cats stomachs. Alice will only get the Jelly ones from now on. She was ding well for 3 days but this morning, she produced blood & mucous. I have wormed her again but she may have to have more tests. She is fine in herself but she was going from tray to tray. I can empathise if she has IBS as it is horrible.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 20:56:13 PM »
Feeding your kitten whiskers is like feeding a chold Mcdonalds every day - :sick: it is far too rich and contains too much salt.  The better quality foods dont actually work out that much more expensive because you feed less of it (unless you have got 4 gutsy Bengals like mine who never stop eating  :rofl:)
Has oscar been wormed recently? he will need worming every month until he is 6 months old and then once every 3 months.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline DandCmum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 13:44:10 PM »
I feed my 2 9months boys 3 times a day and have done ever since we got them (aged 4months). I feed them off the same plate though as they refuse to eat from seperate dishes :tired:

In the morning they have a handful of biscuits (or 2 if small biscuits) plus a pouch of wet food mixed in. In the afternoon they have the same again followed by a small portion of biscuits before bedtime. Before we got them they were fed around 4 times a day, this usually consisted of a handful of biscuits at each meal, sometimes with white fish once a day.

As oscar is only 8 weeks he probably needs feeding little and often so probably 4 times a day.  As he is most used to the dry proplan add in the whiskas wet very slowly and only in small amounts (maybe just a little once a day until he gets used to it). the same applies when changing his dry food, you can add the new food in slowly and mix it with what he is used to.

Offline happybunny22000

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 13:29:32 PM »
how much and how often?
I have to use up whiskers pouches x 24, whiskers dry and pro plan

Offline DandCmum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 12:34:44 PM »
Mine have whiskas, the Whiskas simply/ oh so simply range but I alternate it with Hi-life, the tuna selection cans as sometimes the jelly/gravy can be a bit rich for their tummies. In fact mine have had a variety of wet food that I add to their dry (as they get dehydrated on just wet but can be really fussy)  :tired:  In terms of dry food they were on Orijen at their rescue home which we kept them on for a while, but it can be expensive £40 for 7kg, although that lasted us a few months. They have also had hills science plan kitten food which is on offer at PAH at the moment buy 1 get one half price and will last a while.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 12:08:30 PM »
Some Whiskas pouches do have cereals and as Mark said many have soya in (usually listed as vegetable protein extracts or derivatives of vegetable origin on the label) However, Whiskas Simply pouches don't have any cereals or veg protein, nor does Whiskas Supermeat, so you should be alright with those. Pro plan's ok as far as dry goes, better I guess than Whiskas dry, as more meat, less of the cereal content. I think HI Life pouches do a kitten pouch (although I don't think kitten food is absolutely necessary to be honest), more meat content, can work out a bit expensive, but you could alternate that with the Whiskas maybe? - always introducing any new food gradually though, to avoid tummy upsets.  :)

Offline happybunny22000

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 11:57:15 AM »
oh no :(
someone reccommended whiskers to me. Will I be ok to use it up, and mix the whiskers dry with the pro plan?
Whats the betetr food and how often and how much?

Offline DandCmum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 10:39:11 AM »
My two 9 months boys still have the occassional smelly  :sick: even though they have always been fed good quality food. When we first got them their tummies were very gassy and smelly  :sick:  but we put that down to the stress of being moved to a new house with new people. After a couple of weeks it settled down as they got more comfortable with the house and us.  :Luv:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 09:42:07 AM »
I would avoid Whiskas (as well as go-cat and supermarket own) dry if possible as they are very high in cereal which cats don't need - it can cause health problems in the long run. If you feed a good quality food, you need much less so doesn't work out any more expensive really. Pets at Home have their premium food (in the silver bags) on offer at the moment - 2 x 2kg bags for £15 - probably enough to last a couple of months. Whiskas/Felix pouches are OK as they don't have cereal in - they do have soya protein though. I'm pretty sure the Whiskas kitten loaf in small cans doesn't have any cereal or soya in though.

Offline happybunny22000

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 09:04:19 AM »
his poos are fine. Hes on some dry food pro plan. I did buy loads of whiskers pouches and some dry but they said to start him off on that first :S

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 07:21:22 AM »
Welcome to the world of kittens - they all trump and smell :evillaugh:

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 22:46:03 PM »
Welcome to Purrs and welcome to the smelly side of cats  :rofl: :rofl: :hug:

We talk a lot about poo, farts and litter on here so you should be able to pick up some tips.  Hope Oscar doesn't have the runs.

Hope to see some pics of smelly bum :naughty: :rofl: :Luv2:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline purrdy1

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 21:16:43 PM »
probaly as he adjusts to his new home and feeding regime...poor lad....I had a similar thing with the babies...Fern and Twig...their little tummies blew up and they were verygassy!

poor lambs.... :Luv2:

hope you see some improvement soon  :hug:
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 21:06:47 PM »
Which food is it?

Kitten food is very rich so that probably explains it. Not sure what they gave you but a good quality food like Royal Canin kitten should help.

Offline happybunny22000

• Kitten
Smelly Kitten
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 20:35:17 PM »
Oscar is 8 weeks old, collected him from RSPCA on saturday bought the food from them he was on, but he keeps farting and it stinks!!!
Why?

Link to CatChat