Author Topic: Using a storage container as litter tray...  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Using a storage container as litter tray...
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 13:14:46 PM »
It's not that Jaffa can't get over high sides, but I want the tray in the bathroom to be an alternative to the hooded one in the living room and I'd like it to be open.  I think Jaffa is a bit lazy tbh  ;D and likes to just jump in and out quickly.  Sometimes he's half in and half out.  I think a storage container might actually be too high on the 3 sides if I don't cut them down a bit.  I don't want him to feel enclosed when he's in it in case he doesn't like that.  The low side also needs to be one of the long sides, given the shape of the where it goes.  I have seen those recycling containers in ikea I think.  Never thought of those.  I think they might be a bit small but I suppose they will come in different sizes.  I will look in Homebase, B&Q etc and also a garden centre to see what they have.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 23:45:51 PM »
PAH do one, nasty c olours lol

I have the same problem with Franta but the problem is that Ducha needs to be able to sit with his front paws on the edge and he would not be able to. Both birmans seem to stand half in and half out and sometimes the tail end is out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sigh

In bathroom I have put down some carpet protector and after a couple of weeks or more they had hit the tray every time........................unti 2 days ago and now someone has missed it 2 days running!

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 19:47:36 PM »
I want the sides to be high on 3 sides though - that's the point.  I'm sick of Jaffa peeing over the top of the one in the bathroom!

Oh I see, I saw somewhere that someone who had the same problem used one of those cardboard crates that you get bananas and things in, you could cut the front down a bit for easier access. They had lined it with newspaper asnd put the regular tray inside

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 13:08:14 PM »
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0175306/Trail/searchtext%3EBOX.htm

Unfortunately that's a set of three but I knew I had seen boxes with one low side before. Perhaps there would be somewhere that sold them individually?

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 12:58:48 PM »
Minimopsical had a special 3 sided tray for her toileting, 3 sides were high but it had a walk in front, we purchased it from a garden centre as it was actually a garden tool bench tray.
May be worth you checking garden centres out.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 12:57:14 PM »
I have used one of those very high sided crates for Tosker - I didn't cut it, because he used to use the handle to get in and out of it

if yours are not agile enough for this, you could put something down as a step - an ice cream type container filled with sand or earth would be stable enough
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 12:52:09 PM »
I want the sides to be high on 3 sides though - that's the point.  I'm sick of Jaffa peeing over the top of the one in the bathroom!

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 19:10:30 PM »
You can get the really low storage boxes for under the bed, I'm sure Fire Fox uses them with Noah as they're really big, I don't think the sides would be too high for cats to get in and out. Just like this one http://www.bedroomdesigner.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/under-bed-storage.jpg

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 16:12:13 PM »
the only thing close to this that I do is cut holes in garden pots for my lizard, I use a very sharp stanley knife (carefully obviously and with someone else in the house because my idea of careful is to stab myself in the hand!) and then because the edges are sharp you need a candle or lighter and just hover it over the edges to soften them and get rid of any sharp bits (don't hold it there for long, twice round, constantly moving the flame works fine) and I tend to use fairly solid plant pots as Georgina climbs them and pushes them over and stuff so it is quite heavy plastic...

hope that is some help anyway!

Jen
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Using a storage container as litter tray...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 16:07:34 PM »
... what do you use to cut the plastic so that it has low entry?  Am I being thick?  I am a diy novice and cant' imagine I have anything in that would do the job - kitchen scissors aren't going to do it are they!

I am thinking of going down this route for the bathroom tray.  I don't want to get a close one as they have that in the living room and I want the kitchen one to provide a different option.  I think Jaffa likes that because he can just jump in and out quickly but unfortunately sometimes he wees in a standing position or just plain sprays.  And the sides are just not high enough! 

Link to CatChat