Author Topic: Allergic, need advice.  (Read 3909 times)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
Re: Allergic, need advice.
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 23:54:13 PM »
Maybe you could offer to foster a kitten or two from a local rescue? If it works out you can offer to rehome permanently, if not you should feel all glowy from doing a good deed!  :Luv: I said on the other thread that there is anecdotal evidence feeding the cat a raw diet can help with human allergies, so could be worth experimenting with your two before you take the plunge with an indoor kitten? r would you consider a young cat so they don't have to stay indoors so long?
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline paddypaws

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 11:32:17 AM »
I have had problems re-acting to cats in the past...but presently have 5 cats in the house!
I was quite worried when I got my new kitten though as I sneezed all the way home in the car when I picked her up and my lips very very swollen for the first few days ( too much kitten kissing, he he )

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 11:37:26 AM »
I'm another one. Allergic to most dusty, pollony, hairy things. I also find that long haired cats are better and have built up a tolerance to mine (I build a tolerance to most after about the second visit). I have asthma too and when I was a teenager I had to rehome my beloved pet rat because I'd find it hard to breathe every night. Fortunately that's never been the case with a cat and my asthma has almost gone completely over the last few years.

I don't think I could ever give up a cat now because of an allergy but having been in that position when I was younger I have sympathy for the asthmatics.

Drugs-wise I'm a fan of Benadryl. It has a different ingredient to many of the other ones (acrivastine) and doesn't make me snoooozy. Works quickly too. Sometimes if I do the touching my face thing or if Smokey gives me a snuggle a bit too close my whole face swells up and my eyes shut. It looks ace, like I'm really suffering and I get bags of sympathy  :evillaugh:

edit: it helps if I get the brand name of the product right....doh....
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 11:40:00 AM by Corporal Smokey »
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline DellLovesKittens

• Kitten
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 14:51:28 PM »
Oh wow, my allergic reactions are nothing compared to what you get! :/
For you to have to go through all that all the time and still refuse to stop loving cats is amazing (:
Hope the London thing helps.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 11:10:21 AM »
I have a terrible allergy to cats (amongst other things) and I have 2 indoor (supervised outdoor access only) male cats.

I'm currently visiting an allergy clinic at Guys in London and they may desensitise me - I'm hoping to find out more tomorrow.

I suffer with permanently with swollen eyes, eczema on my face, and all the classic hay fever symptoms. I'm on a concoction of strong anti histamines, nasal sprays, eye drops and steroid creams. I can cope with most of it except the eczema on my face.

If you can speak to your GP they might be able to prescribe something stronger than over the counter drugs.

The professors advice to me was to rehome my cats, I told him thats a not an option, he said when they die don't get any more, I said that too is not an option I always want to have cats in my life.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 23:42:34 PM »
Sorry to butt in here but just to say I had some anti allergy meds that I bought over the counter, started with a Z and were supposed to be non-drowsy.....I am allegic to the maple type trees in London......and they zonked me out completely. Was told they acted on the part of the brain that didnt make you go to sleep..........they lied LOL and I dont feel so bad now I have read that others have had similiar effects  :innocent:

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 23:32:39 PM »
It was the pharmacist that sold me them and I made sure to read the packaging regardless of her reassurances that they were non-drowsy. Still knocked me out. Maybe I'll try the drowsy ones and they'll actually wake me up. I am a curious creature, no wonder I like cats :evillaugh:

I would also love an air purifier. They take the allergens out of the air, it won't reduce the contact allergens on their fur or when someone decides to shove a soggy up your nose/in your eye, as mine are so keen on doing, but it will make a significant difference tot he airborne allergens which for someon like me would be great, what with me being allergic to just about all airborne particles :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 23:12:49 PM »
Benadryl, which is very good, knocks me clean out and it's supposed to be non-drowsy!

I think there are 2 types. The regular (drowsy) one contains diphenhydramine which is a sedating antihistimine which can be used for anaphylactic shock for bee stings, regular Nytol has the same drug in it.

I can't remember the brand she recommended but a woman who runs a rescue told me that a decent air purifier helps with allergies to cats. She says she always recommends them when people tell her they want to rehome due to allergies.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline DellLovesKittens

• Kitten
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 23:06:44 PM »
especially if you're just on your way out the door and the drugs will take a while to take effect and your eyes to calm down. Looks dreadful, people must wonder what I've been up to :evillaugh:

Ahhh exactly! I used to have to go to school with one normal eye and one half closed bright red eye. Was sooo horrible! Always lasts a couple days as well. Grr lol.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 23:02:34 PM »
I always seem to forget I'm allergic to cats ha, likke I'll cuddle them then rub my eye, then by morning I look
one eyed. :( lol.

It has taken me a good 3 years to train myself to be conscious of putting my fingers anywhere near my eyes and event hen I occasionally do it absentmindedly, it's a nightmare, especially if you're just on your way out the door and the drugs will take a while to take effect and your eyes to calm down. Looks dreadful, people must wonder what I've been up to :evillaugh:

Offline DellLovesKittens

• Kitten
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 23:00:18 PM »
I'll have a look in chemists. (: I can't get anything online haha. (: Thanks for the help though.

Yeah I noticed I'm fine with my old cat, I can pick her up and everything and not worry about it, but other cats ruin my eyes lol.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 22:58:49 PM »
I had a pair of kittens (well, 6 months old but still technically kittens) that were indoors for a while and never had any problems with them even though I can be very allergic to cats (eyes swelling up, unable to breathe etc).  One of them sadly went missing and this year we took another cat in.  I have had a very bad reaction to her but now I am used to her it has calmed down a lot - took antihistamines for about a month until I built up a resistance.  Very strange that some cats I am fine with and not others.

It's possible that the kitten you choose (or the one that chooses you!) may be absolutely fine for you and you may not be allergic to her.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 22:57:46 PM »

Offline DellLovesKittens

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 22:51:19 PM »
I always seem to forget I'm allergic to cats ha, likke I'll cuddle them then rub my eye, then by morning I look
one eyed. :( lol.

I'll just have to experiment with stuff until I'm fine.
Piriton is fine with me, it's never zombified me lol xD

That's weird that you're less allergic to long haired cats ha, I'll keep it in mind when I'm looking for my kitten. (:

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 22:49:44 PM »
I get hayfever but have only had it for the past 3 years or so, never had it before then. I've been a bit inconsistent with cat allergies - when I looked after my friend's cat I was terribly allergic to him all the time. I haven't had any reaction to Pepsi at all and Darcy has only made me allergic when he was first with us and sleeping on the bed, when I woke up in the morning my nose and eyes and face would be really itchy and my nose and eyes would be running. Now that he's downstairs and doesn't sleep on our bed though I haven't had any problems with him. I think Longhaired cats are supposedly better with allergies Dell so might be worth looking into that with your kitten? Other than that I can't really offer any advice above what others have said, just try to keep on top of the vaccuuming and keeping your sofas and clothes free from hair. A zoom groom might also help as it removes the dead hairs and undercoat from the cat and reduces shedding.

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 22:45:04 PM »
Yep, I'm allergic to all pollens, dust, dogs, rabbits.................Anything with nasal irritants basically I think. Funnily, Piriton is meant to make you drowsly but it doesn't relly with me but Benadryl, which is very good, knocks me clean out and it's supposed to be non-drowsy! Did give everyone at my work in London a good laugh as I was sitting at my desk zombified after taking it for the first time. They became my Sunday afternoon drug :evillaugh: The one a days do sod all for me, may as well just swallow some water for all the good it does.

I do want to try Petal Cleanse but keep forgetting when I ahve spare pennies and then remember when I'm skint again!

Offline DellLovesKittens

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 22:37:09 PM »
I get hayfever as well - does anyone else who is allergic to cats get hayfever or other allergies too?

Omg I have hayfever too lol. Can you get the petalcleanse thing from anywhere?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 22:34:33 PM »
I can vouch for Petalcleanse - I'm allergic, but have also built up a tolerance I think over the years, I live with 12 cats, most of which are longhairs which actually don't affect me as much as my shorthair mogs! I can't take any antihistamine type meds - even the supposed non drowsy ones have me zonked out in minutes LOL! I used to use Petalcleanse once a week as recommended, but I don't need to use it as often these past few years. I get hayfever as well - does anyone else who is allergic to cats get hayfever or other allergies too?

Offline sweepster

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 22:16:17 PM »
There's a product called Petalcleanse which might be worth a try too - you comb it into the cat's fur once a week (I think).  I bought a bottle last winter when OH kept complaining of a tight chest "because of the cats", but strangely enough his symptoms improved dramatically when faced with the prospect of having to make the effort to apply it to all three cats every week.  So I can't vouch for its efficacy, unless you happen to have the 'lazy male' version of pet allergy  ;)

Offline DellLovesKittens

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 21:30:34 PM »
I'd definitely put up with my allergy for a cat (: Thanks for the help.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 21:27:55 PM »
It really depends on your allergy, everyone is different. I would definitely recommend spending extended lengths of time with cats before committing to one yourself. With my own two, I still get sneezy, if I'm forgetful and put fingers in my eyes they puff up and go bloodshot, I sneeze most mornings until I take a tablet. It's all about management and putting up with it because I am so passionate about cats.

I have built up a tolerance to my two but it gets much worse with new cats and I have to make sure I take drugs with me otherwise it can be hell!

It all comes down to your own level of allergy, your ability to persevere if it's manageable, your body's tolerance to anti-allergy tablets (I've tried a few, some make me drowsy, some don't, some don't work) and whether you are prepared to love with your allergy every day for the life of the cat.

Offline DellLovesKittens

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 21:10:48 PM »
Do what I do, stock up on Piriton and train yourself to never put your fingers in your eyes unless just washed ;)

Does the same thing happen to you? :D It's reassuring that someone with an allergy is fine (:
So I'll be fine unless I touch my eyes? (:

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 20:58:23 PM »
Do what I do, stock up on Piriton and train yourself to never put your fingers in your eyes unless just washed ;)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 19:11:59 PM »
I'd advise staying at someones with indoor cats and see what happens or spend some time in rescue pens to gauge how bad your reaction is before commiting to a kitten  :shy:

Offline DellLovesKittens

• Kitten
Allergic, need advice.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 18:54:39 PM »
Hii. (:
My cats have always been outdoor cats, due to living in the countryside, I'm allergic to cats, but it's pretty random, sometimes I'm completely fine and then other times my eye swells half was closed. :/ I'm planning on getting a kitten soon and it's gonna have to be an indoor cat, so is there any ways of stopping my eye going mental 24/7? Or am I doomed? :P

Link to CatChat