Author Topic: Stray tabby cat in our garden (Fulham)  (Read 4929 times)

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
Re: Stray tabby cat in our garden (Fulham)
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2010, 17:17:33 PM »
I can offer to cut the ribbon

"Fulham Feline Rescue" :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 16:19:30 PM »
How sweet is that  :Luv2: Well, maybe not the 5am part but the foot nuzzling at least  :naughty:

Sounds like between either J's neighbour or Blip's palace she won't be short of a good home if no owner is found  :)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2010, 16:02:34 PM »
Report from your Fulham correspondent:

I was woken this morning at 5 am by a cat nuzzling my foot.  It wasn't Blip.  Boo had let herself in through the cat flap (it's a microchip one but hasn't been locked).  When I got up a little later, Boo was sitting patiently in the garden by the back door waiting for her breakfast.

When I left for work, Blip was exploring our garden wall as usual and Boo was sitting on the patio watching her with an expression of great interest.

They haven't fought but I'm not sure how much Blip really likes having to share her home.  What I didn't mention yesterday in all the excitement of bringing Boo home was that J's next door neighbour rather fell in love with Boo while she was looking after her and has offered to adopt her if no-one comes forward.  She's on holiday for a couple of weeks at the moment.  We must find out how serious she was when she said that to him.

I haven't bothered to put a paper collar on Boo because she hasn't left our garden apart from a quick constitutional in the mews area next door.  But I am planning to make some posters and check online.  No missing tabby (apart from Woolly) has been reported to our vet.

I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2010, 10:50:05 AM »
Blip and Boo,   def a match  :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 22:28:14 PM »
You sound like you're getting attached Christine   :) How is she taking to her paper collar?  :innocent:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 20:52:19 PM »
I've also established that Blip rather likes her...

We have called her Boo for now.

This sounds promising  :sneaky: Blip & Boo has a certain ring to it  :naughty:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 20:39:54 PM »
Divine intervention methinks  :rofl:

It would be blasphemous, Teresa, to call a rabid atheist divine  ;) :evillaugh: :rofl: :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 20:39:39 PM »
This is getting exciting!   :popcorn:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2010, 20:39:08 PM »
 :welcome: To your new home Boo   :)

I'm sure she could do a lot worse  :evillaugh:

I'm sure she isn't going to be turfed out into the mean streets  :innocent:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 20:40:38 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 20:37:40 PM »
Divine intervention methinks  :rofl:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 20:33:25 PM »
 :crossed:

My mother's cat is named Boo. Seems to be a good name.  :shy: ;)

Hoping Blip considers sharing a good thing.  :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2010, 20:32:05 PM »
OK.  I went round to J's (lovely) home and took the tabby cat to our vet.  I discovered she is not chipped, is healthy and about five years old. I brought her home, reluctantly gave her her freedom (having had a long chat with the staff about the various options and outcomes), and discovered she has no desire to go further than our back garden.  I gave her a supper.  I've also established that Blip rather likes her...

We have called her Boo for now.

She is wandering round our living room under Blip's watchful eyes as I type.

Edited for spelling (although Boo is wondering as well as wandering).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 20:34:42 PM by Christine (Blip) »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 11:34:24 AM »
What a shame  :(  Once she's been scanned, if it's a negative result, it might be worth putting her on the waiting list of your local rescue. If she's wearing a paper collar in the meantime then it will give her owners, if she isn't lost, a chance to come forward.

To make a paper collar you just fold a strip of paper in half and secure it with a small piece of sellotape, when I had my wandering stray I put a regular collar on her with one of those barrel tags with a note rolled up in the barrel.

:luck:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 08:21:35 AM »
Sorry C - you tried  :hug:

Maybe the local CP will take her? - I know there must be a niggling doubt that she is owned though  :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 07:17:48 AM »
Bad news: she isn't Woolly.

I've arranged to pick her up from J this evening at 6pm and I'll take her round to the vet for scanning then.  If she doesn't have a chip, I'd better let her out in my garden and put a paper collar on her, I suppose?  :(

How do I make a paper collar?

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 19:14:27 PM »
I really hope the owner is a wonderful caring one  :hug:

Wooly's owners are good people, in my judgement.  We shall cross the next bridge if and when we come to it...

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 19:12:01 PM »
I really hope the owner is a wonderful caring one  :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 19:08:47 PM »
Great work Sherlock, theres a job waiting here for you  :hug:

With our company running two exhibitions this week, and all our staff but two out on site in Excel and Hamburg as of 09.00 this morning, the offer of more work is not necessarily attractive to me at present :rofl:

Seriously, I am treating this exercise as a Paws Inn franchise and will deliver to something approaching those standards, I trust  :hug:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 19:04:11 PM »
Great work Sherlock, theres a job waiting here for you  :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 18:58:28 PM »
Wooly is chipped and J is home later this evening: I've been on the mobile to him and to neighbour M this afternoon to ensure Tabitha's safety, whoever she is.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 00:05:43 AM »
Fingers crossed it is Wooly, do you know if Wooly was chipped? I don't think anyone other than me would be able to identify Lu or Riley 100% so it could well still be her. I guess we'll know for sure tomorrow...

:crossed:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 20:49:38 PM »
Things like that have been known to happen.  :innocent:

Many years ago, before microchips, a pal of mine lived in a top floor attic flat. She had a pure black cat called Sooty who used to go out the kitchen window and across the rooftops when she went for a stroll. Then one day Sooty just never came back.  :( Not until 5 months later when suddenly one day Sooty came in through the opened window and went to curl up on the sofa like she'd never been away. She looked like she'd lost some weight but was otherwise fine.  :)

Everything returned to normal for a good while after that.  :naughty: Not until two years after that time did my friend find a small white patch the size of a 10p piece under Sooty's tummy that she never had before she went Walkabouts.  :scared:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 20:18:34 PM »
Christine with you championing her case she is very lucky and will land on her paws.

:hug:

If she's not Wooly, she's my responsibility, so I won't let her down.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 19:08:43 PM »
Christine with you championing her case she is very lucky and will land on her paws.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 14:36:59 PM »
Update on Tabitha...

Well, I kept on feeding Tabitha every evening after starting this thread.  As I mentioned in my other thread about Wooly, who is lost in Fulham, Tabitha looks very much like Wooly’s picture on her humans' lost cat poster, so I got in touch with them.  They (J and A) came round to call out for her but she didn’t oblige with a visit while they were here and I discovered that they were off to Serbia on business the next day for several weeks – A is Serbian and Wooly was rescued from Kosovo – so we agreed that I would keep feeding Tabitha and, once I had won her trust, contact their neighbour who would come round to identify and, if positive, collect her.

We ourselves have just been away on holiday and while we were away, as well as Blip and the fox I had our cat sitter feed Tabitha.  She had pretty much moved in to our garden by the time we returned from France so I got in touch with J and A again, only to discover that they were still away.  However, they arranged for their neighbour to come round on Thursday.  This good lady took one look at Tabitha and announced that she was certainly Wooly.  So I put Tabitha / Wooly in our cat carrier and sent her home with the neighbour.  She has subsequently called to say that one of J’s friends has checked Tabitha out and does not think she is Wooly after all!  However, J is back tomorrow, the neighbour is happy to look after Tabitha in her house in the meantime and Tabitha is apparently content and settled, so I’m going to wait until tomorrow to decide what needs to be done next.

I think I am a pretty incompetent cat rescuer: I suspect I should have taken Tabitha round to the vet for a scan when I caught her rather than trusting the neighbour’s identification.  Still, it’s only for a couple of days and she's safe and sound in the meantime...

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 22:09:55 PM »
Best of luck Christine  :hug:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 20:56:31 PM »
Good luck!  :hug: :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 20:54:34 PM »
As soon as I saw she was a tabby I immediately thought of Tabby-fur too  :hug:

Thanks for your empathy, Helen - it means a lot to me - she even looks rather like dear TabbyFur.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 20:40:52 PM »
You've obviously never felt the full force of my personality, sweets  :rofl:  But I do have some Dreamies as a back-up  ;)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 20:36:41 PM »
As soon as I saw she was a tabby I immediately thought of Tabby-fur too  :hug:

:thanks:  I've exchanged slow blinks and a few words, so I'm hoping a bit of feline psychology will win the day.

I think Temptations or Dreamies will be more effective  :evillaugh:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 20:34:10 PM »
Hope she can be successfully re-united with her owners like your last visitor was :crossed:

Yes, I'm determined.  This little one looks a bit sorry for herself, but she's here now.  We're callling her Tabitha, in memory of TabbyFur, for the time being.

:luck: with catching her  ;D

:thanks:  I've exchanged slow blinks and a few words, so I'm hoping a bit of feline psychology will win the day.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 20:27:53 PM »
Hope she can be successfully re-united with her owners like your last visitor was :crossed:

:luck: with catching her  ;D

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Stray tabby cat in our garden (Fulham)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 20:14:35 PM »
Yep, I'm pretty sure that the skinny and slightly scruffy tabby who has started coming into our garden over the last few days is a stray.  I saw her lurking, waiting for me to put out the foxes' food a couple of evenings ago and she ran over to try and eat it when I went indoors.  So I quickly took out some cat food for her, which she ate.

To test my hypothesis, when she was waiting around as I fed the foxes this evening, I put out obesity food and she wolfed it down.  I reckon I'm right in thinking that no cat would eat that just out of greed?

I'll try and get hold of her pdq and get her up to the vets for a microchip scan.

Link to CatChat