Author Topic: Been attacked by a beautiful tortie (my own fault)  (Read 2557 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Been attacked by a beautiful tortie (my own fault)
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 23:22:36 PM »
Yes that will be it Janey, thanks.

I may have a copy of it so if I have I will post it up.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 22:38:14 PM »
Hot and swollen likely means an infection, I would not delay seeing about this any longer cos it can nearly kill you within a couple of hours once it gets into your system.

I read an account of what happened to someone who was lucky to live, cant remember if it was on Purrs fairly recently or somewhere else I stumbled upon......sure it was on Purrs and it was a link to give a warning to people bitten or badly scratched by their cats...................you didnt read it obviously  :innocent:

I think I read it in the Vicki Halls magazine  :scared: would that be it?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 22:24:39 PM »
I will drag you to A&E myself on Friday afternoon if it's still yucky and you haven't got it checked out  :P
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 22:20:39 PM »
The other scratches will heal but my left hand is bothering me still, from past experience i've excised my finger  :sick: and really cleaned it which wasnt fun but the swellings easing and hopefully it'll cool down soon.   I was taught how to do that by a nurse at Lewisham A&E after the last time I nearly ended up on a drip overnight - I cant really get more time off work this week but will have to if it doesnt stop burning.

With regards to little Miss cat i've topped up the food outside but haven't seen her tonight.  I really hope she's ok and is owned by somebody but think i'll set up a box/bed in the garden for her and ask my neighbours if they know of her

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 21:19:48 PM »
Hot and swollen likely means an infection, I would not delay seeing about this any longer cos it can nearly kill you within a couple of hours once it gets into your system.

I read an account of what happened to someone who was lucky to live, cant remember if it was on Purrs fairly recently or somewhere else I stumbled upon......sure it was on Purrs and it was a link to give a warning to people bitten or badly scratched by their cats...................you didnt read it obviously  :innocent:

The poor girl sounds like she is not getting fed but is very wary.

Look after yourself first immediately please  :hug: :hug:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 21:11:44 PM »
Hope your injuries arent too bad this evening.

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 09:40:41 AM »
Woke up this morning with my left middle finger around the nail quick hot and swollen, will have to see how it goes.  :doh:

And last night around 11 I went downstairs to go to the loo and I could see her silhouette on top of the garden fence staring into the kitchen.  Opened the door and she was talking loudly to me but wouldn't come in - Put a mountain of dry food out for her and left her in piece. 

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 22:11:51 PM »
I'm off to the dentist tomorrow morning to finish my Root Canal (I hope) do you think they can give me antibiotics if need be?  :shy:

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 22:06:53 PM »
Definately get a tetanus booster and make sure you keep it really clean.
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 21:55:39 PM »
Teresa I will continue to feed her but i'm a little worried about encouraging her as my garden backs onto a free carpark which is the reason I have indoor cats, it's too busy and dangerous.  I'm already planning logistics if I can catch her again about taking her to the vet to be scanned- I even got a quick headbutt while I was sitting down being very non-confrontational  :Luv2: She ran away after this show of bravery and it took the last of the food in my hands to bring her back  :)

Daisymac I don't think i've had my tetanus fince i was 15/16 so 10 or 11 years ago - i've thoroughly cleaned my finger but if it swells it's off to A&E for me - i'm prone to infections from cat bites & scratches too  :evillaugh:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 21:23:36 PM »
I prefer to treat a ravenous cat as a stray rather than risk her going hungry, poor love may even have kittens hidden, if a cat has a caring owner they soon investigate why their cat is either getting fat or refusing normal food. hope your wounds heal quickly.

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 21:16:38 PM »
How up to date is your tetanus ?,   cat scratch and cat bites can be quite nasty.  Just make sure it is clean and disinfected and keep an eye on it,   any scratch I get swells badly as believe it or not I am allergic to cats  :evillaugh:,   I usually take a Piriton  :hug:

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
Been attacked by a beautiful tortie (my own fault)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 21:11:51 PM »
I was doing a spot of gardening this afternoon and tipped the cats stale dry food into a small pot for the birds to enjoy.  About an hour ago I heard a crow cawing so looked through the window and saw a beautiful but flighty tortoiseshell eating the biscuits.  Once she saw me through the window she ran off but I saw her again a few minutes later. 

She looked a bit thin and had no collar so couldnt help grabbing a handful of food and spent a good 25 minutes coaxing her closer to check her out.  It was getting dark and by this point I picked her up so I could check her condition inside and she was purring/happy till I got her inside and shut the back door where she ripped at me then climbed up to the top of the door and hung on up there.  I had to open the door to free her and she shot off back over the fence, although i've checked outside the window and she's still been ferreting out the last biscuits so she's either a greedyguts or desperate  :'(  She's definitely not feral.

Michelle's fuming at me for bringing her into the house (she has cat issues) and for getting myself hurt, my neck and arm are still weeping and i'm a bit worried myself as my little finger is swelling up slightly from a deep 2cm scratch.  I've ruined one of my favourite tops with blood too grr.

I hope the little one's ok - I get home before Chelle so will try and sneak a bit more food outside, but then if she is owned by somebody I dont want to be encouraging her do I?  :doh:

Link to CatChat