Author Topic: Basic Cat Care  (Read 5061 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Basic Cat Care
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 19:42:29 PM »
If theres one thing iv learnt its never assume, did they open her up? If her hair is still short it would be unusual for somebody to pay for a spay and then dump so more likely a genuine lost?

Everybody I've spoken to (vets included) think she's feral because of the fact it looks like she's recently been spayed and the mark/slit on her ear could mean she was caught, spayed and let go by a rescue or something
It was this that made me wonder if they were going off the state of her ear

Offline Cozmo

• Adult Cat
  • To be sane would be true madness
    • Cozmo
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2010, 22:37:48 PM »
What makes you think she has been spayed? If its just down to the ear then beware, they can rip ears so easily so definately not worth relying on that! You could have a surprise in a few weeks time!  :scared:
Trust me she's spayed. Vet confirmed it.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 19:41:25 PM »
I agree, my vet shaved loads of Phoebes fur cos she had a nick in her ear, after finding no scar, she opened her up and she was pregnant. I have picked up a stray who still had a spay scar and bald patch though, and she was in an area with very few houses, so we never did quite figure out how she got there, we dont have anyone who would put a cat back in that area, it isn't safe, and she certainly wasn't feral. With her temperament, she is much more likely to be a stray domestic cat.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 19:33:16 PM »
What makes you think she has been spayed? If its just down to the ear then beware, they can rip ears so easily so definately not worth relying on that! You could have a surprise in a few weeks time!  :scared:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 22:32:01 PM »
so pleased  ;D

she sounds wonderful  ;D

Offline Cozmo

• Adult Cat
    • Cozmo
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 22:06:36 PM »
Lol cheers Gill. However, she couldn't hold it anymore...she was full and after dinner tonight....relieved herself and kicked a load of kitty litter out of the tray when trying to bury it! Little sod!

However I'm very grateful she doesn't seem like a fussy cat  :phew:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 22:08:17 PM by Cozmo »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 21:16:51 PM »
ahhhhhhhhhhhh you have maybe mentioned the problem  ;D

cats need two trays often cos wont go in same tray for liquids and solids. this may change eventually but suggest you get a second tray  ;D

dont give laxative unless prescribed by a vet after him seeing her and this is very early days for her  :hug:

Offline Cozmo

• Adult Cat
    • Cozmo
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 20:34:53 PM »
The found posters are covered. I will look into the the newspaper thing but I know the radio station won't do anything cuz they are useless.

One thing I'm a little worried about. When I spoke to Colchester Cat Rescue they agreed that I should keep the cat in for the next 2 weeks incase the owner phones or knocks on the door, but she has yet to poop and she's been in for 3 whole days. She looks like she's holding something in. I dunno how to solve this problem...my fella said give her a lacative so she has no choice  :-: typical. She has one litter tray that she's pee'd in a few times so she knows what its for.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 20:35:34 PM by Cozmo »

Offline Karon

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 17:28:32 PM »
Poor little cat, she sounds like she's landed on her feet with you whether she's lost or a stray. 

If nobody has suggested it, it might be worth putting some posters up in your area, and also a Found advert in your paper if they do that for free (ours does).   Also perhaps give your local radio a call and see if they can announce on the radio that she's been found (I did that when Baldrick had got lost at Christmas).

Offline Cozmo

• Adult Cat
    • Cozmo
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 15:06:40 PM »
Right I have phoned round everybody! Vets, rescues and all sorts. Nobody seems to have reported this cat missing but they have put her on their registers incase anyone phones. Tomorrow we'll put up signs.

A couple of people said the fact nobody in the area knows who it belongs to but have seen it around for a couple of weeks (prior to us taking it in 3 days ago) suggests it may have been abandoned. Poor little thing, I really hope not. She's so lovely. Or she could just be lost.

Vet reckons she's only a couple of years old maybe a bit older.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 15:09:37 PM by Cozmo »

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 14:23:57 PM »
The only thing about local rescues is the nearest one is 7 miles away (that holds animals at least).
Oh I dunno...gonna try Colchester Cat Rescue today and see if they have heard anything.

Some rescues cover large areas even if their shelters/fosterers are in particular location - If no joy with Colchester Cat Rescue - perhaps ask them of other rescues that would cover your area.  :hug:

Edited to add PS
PS - did your vet give an indication of how old she might be?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 14:45:32 PM by Edd »

Offline Cozmo

• Adult Cat
    • Cozmo
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 14:10:36 PM »
On the other thread you mention, "I have heard of rescues capturing strays and neutering them, making a mark in their ear and then letting them go. Well this cat has all the signs of that so I do really wonder if its a stray. However it has an incredibly nice tempterment for a "wild" cat so I just don't know".  What did the vet say about the mark on her ear?  My main concern about letting her out would be the possibility of her getting pregnant to be honest   :shy:
The vet suggested the was caught, spayed and released as well. Or it could be someone new moved to the area and the cat got lost or something. I don't know. We won't give up looking for its owner (if it has one) for a few weeks yet. The vet suggested that if it isn't claimed in a month, either keep it or take it to a rescue as if someone has lost her, they will be trying very hard to look for her in the first couple of weeks.

A local rescue may have trapped neutered and returned (TNR) as they may have not been able to take her in (long waiting lists). Her behaviour does not sound very feral though - more likely to be a stray or lost. Also if your local vet did not recognise her as a cat they have neutered, it may have been other local vets or she may have come out of area.
Yup, this is what we keep being told (the TNR thing). I've got a couple more vets to stop by (as we have only 4 in the near area), so maybe they will recognise her.

If you speak to local rescues about finding her, you might also ask whether they have done any TNRs or may have been involved in her neutering as that may give you some more info about her or whether she has been reported to them as a stray already.  She may be on their waiting lists to go into them. If she has been around for a while, then they may help you officially adopt her?
The only thing about local rescues is the nearest one is 7 miles away (that holds animals at least).

Oh I dunno...gonna try Colchester Cat Rescue today and see if they have heard anything.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 13:55:52 PM »
Everybody I've spoken to (vets included) think she's feral because of the fact it looks like she's recently been spayed and the mark/slit on her ear could mean she was caught, spayed and let go by a rescue or something. Plus...as I said...nobody is owning up to this cat and its been almost a week. There's no signs or anything...I keep asking people if they've heard anything (like the super markets and shops)...nothing.

A local rescue may have trapped neutered and returned (TNR) as they may have not been able to take her in (long waiting lists). Her behaviour does not sound very feral though - more likely to be a stray or lost. Also if your local vet did not recognise her as a cat they have neutered, it may have been other local vets or she may have come out of area.

If you speak to local rescues about finding her, you might also ask whether they have done any TNRs or may have been involved in her neutering as that may give you some more info about her or whether she has been reported to them as a stray already.  She may be on their waiting lists to go into them. If she has been around for a while, then they may help you officially adopt her?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 13:46:43 PM »
Sounds like you are trying very hard to find any family she may have, meanwhile she will teach you what food and how much food she would like.  For some cats 1/2 tin of cat food a day isn't a great deal and for others it's enormous.  I have 6 that range between those extremes.  Most of my previous cats ate just the right amount they needed and would leave food on plate.  5 of the 6 I now have are gannets though  :-:

On the other thread you mention, "I have heard of rescues capturing strays and neutering them, making a mark in their ear and then letting them go. Well this cat has all the signs of that so I do really wonder if its a stray. However it has an incredibly nice tempterment for a "wild" cat so I just don't know".  What did the vet say about the mark on her ear?  My main concern about letting her out would be the possibility of her getting pregnant to be honest   :shy:

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 13:33:43 PM »
That's why I'd defintely do as much as I could to check for an owner first just in case someone is sadly missing their cat, then if you've done all that concentrate on caring for the cat yourself but that's just my opinion  :hug:

Agree with Janey - you need to see if someone is missing this little cat.

I see from your other post that you have already checked the cat for microchip, asked around and advised local vets. You could also:
 - check out national lost and found registers such as Nationalpetregister and animalsearch  
 - advise local rescues   - check http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html for some in your area.
 - advise vets in a 20 mile radius - they normally keep lost and founds registers as well
 - If you let the cat out - put a paper collar on it with a message "do I belong to you and your telephone number"
   Paper collars can be obtained free from Cats Protection.
 - Put up Found notices

If no response, then you have done everything you can to find the owner. Hope this helps

Offline Cozmo

• Adult Cat
    • Cozmo
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 13:27:26 PM »
Well we went out again last night knocking on peoples doors. Nobody seems to own this cat or wants to take responsibility for it.

The local vets know about it and will give anybody looking for a black cat my number. The local supermarkets  and shops have a notice on the notice boards and in windows, and tomorrow my fella is going to put up "Found cat" signs on as many lamp posts round here as possible.

As for thinking she wanted to get out the house....I think she was actually meowing for food, she\s now upstairs on "her" chair asleep! I've given her some meat and she's tucking into it like no ones business.

God I wish I knew cat behaviour as well as I knew dog behaviour!

Everybody I've spoken to (vets included) think she's feral because of the fact it looks like she's recently been spayed and the mark/slit on her ear could mean she was caught, spayed and let go by a rescue or something. Plus...as I said...nobody is owning up to this cat and its been almost a week. There's no signs or anything...I keep asking people if they've heard anything (like the super markets and shops)...nothing.

Oh and PS....the dog I believe is thinking the cat is a Chihuahua! Keeps trying to play with her but the cats not impressed and hisses and the dog leaves her alone.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 13:36:01 PM by Cozmo »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 13:27:16 PM »
Mmmm.  I'm not so sure any of my lot would wanna come home if neighbours started feeding them Tuna  :shify:   ;) I would echo Janeyk in that it is important that you do your best to trace any possible owner.  Having said that, well done for taking in little Magic.  I suppose keeping her in for 3 to 4 weeks before allowing her outside access is the norm for newbies but she seems to know your area already so perhaps 2 to 3 weeks might be OK?  How safe is your area for cats?  Busy roads?  

I'm not so sure she is feral though.  She sounds far to domesticated.  How does she get on with your dog now?  How old does vet think she is?  Questions questions  :innocent:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 13:17:20 PM »
That's why I'd defintely do as much as I could to check for an owner first just in case someone is sadly missing their cat, then if you've done all that concentrate on caring for the cat yourself but that's just my opinion  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Cozmo

• Adult Cat
    • Cozmo
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 13:04:09 PM »
Thanks a lot for the info guys, much appreciated.

One thing I wanna ask. The cat...I think...wants to go back outside, however, if I put her out and the owners come knocking on the door...I can't then just hand her back.

What should I do, cuz she's meowing at me like she wants to go out but I'm worried she won't come back, the the owners (if any) might have trouble finding her. She's sat looking out the window and when I let the dog in fro the garden she almost went out but stopped herself because the dog came through the door.

Another thing is, I'm starting to fall for this cat and if she goes out, doesn't have an owner) she might not come back.

What should I do!?!

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 11:51:24 AM »
Hi - good on you for taking in this little cat.

You might find these leaflets produced by Cats Protection useful:

http://www.cats.org.uk/documents/catcareleaflets-eg03-caringforyourcat/
http://www.cats.org.uk/documents/catcareleaflets-eg04-feeding/

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 11:38:27 AM »
Tooooooys! Now, obviously most normal cats do not need nearly as many toys as my dear little man but .. Did you know that by owning a cat you have effectively signed a contract stating you will buy Kitty a Da Bird  :shify: Every home needs one. Purrs has a little shop - 6 buttons along from 'profile'.  You can get Da Bird and other things from there  :evillaugh:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 11:03:17 AM »
What a lovely thing you've done.

As the others have said, its a learning curve which I know I am still learning from.

But we're a lovely bunch here so post away if you have questions.

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 10:01:22 AM »
Thank you for taking the little one in - I think you are doing a brilliant job

Cats do not need anything fancy their requirements are quite basic, shelter, food, liquid and attention

Anything else is a bonus   :hug: :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 09:46:43 AM »
I would say that cats like a bit of variation in their food just the same as us. You can try varying types such as food in Jelly, gravy or supermeat. Also trying different brands is a good idea (often dictated by what is on offer. When I see food on offer I stock up - mine mnever get the same food twice in a day) Also, I know a lot of people are against dry food but I think decent quality ones, ie Hill's Science Plan, Royal Canin, Proplan, Purina one (less so), have decent ingredients and trace minerals that you don't get in bog standard wet food so I like mine to have a mix of wet and dry - I think it is fine as long as they drink enough. Dry food is also good to leave out during the day if you are out - especially when it is really hot as flies like laying eggs on wet cat food  :sick: - mine get fed 3 or 4 times a day but they don't eat it all. Personally I wouldn't buy cans for one cat as it goes off quickly. Pouches are much better as you can vary the food over a day. Most wet food is on offer, 2 boxes for £5 in one or other of the supermarkets. People usually post in the bargains section on purrs when they see offers.

I wouldn't feed mine Whiskas dry, go-cat dry or cheap supermarket dry as they have far too much cereal in - I seriously think they can cause health issues later on in life.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 09:54:58 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 09:22:41 AM »
Taking care of any animal is always a learning curve, and I don't think anyone ever knows anything.

Also each and every cat is different, what one may love, another may hate  :evillaugh: 

All I can say is fire away with the questions, you'll always get a good varied amount of responses on here, and enjoy the experience of becoming a cat slave  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 07:13:44 AM »
If you look in our Health and Behaviour section there's lots of info in there in the Guides section, this is one link from that section which gives info on basic cat care:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,21647.0.html

You can also post asking any queries and I'm sure peeps will respond with lots of advice on specifics  :hug:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 07:14:20 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Cozmo

• Adult Cat
    • Cozmo
Basic Cat Care
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 07:02:12 AM »
Can anybody please give me info on basic cat care as I've never had a cat before and usually before getting a species of animal I've never kept before, I do masses of research so I know I'm doing right and giving everything that animal needs on a daily basis. However I can't really help it this time as this cat has just kinda chosen us to live with for the time being (or maybe longer) as my story in the Lost and Found section explains.

I've been feeding her Felix twice a day and making sure she has fresh water everyday, I have the litter tray, scratching post and I've wormed and Frontlined her. Oh and two pairs of human arms for head scratches and cuddles.

Should I be feeding her more than twice a day? I feed her about a quarter a tin at a time and she meows about it in a little protest but then eats it.

I just wanna make sure I'm doing everything right for her.

Link to CatChat