Author Topic: Leo my lovely special boy, still needs your vibes and thoughts (RIP Leo xx)  (Read 51470 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
 :hug: :hug:  Sharon
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Thanks all.. I just hope that nothing else can go wrong and i feel bad not being able to see him before i left.. But he was still sedated...It was too late to do today...
Thank good ness i took him back again...! Thank goodness it is the leg with the injury...
I just could not bare losing him....
I doubt i will get much sleep until i know he came through it all okay.. He is on pain relief tonight and will be in their tomorrow.. So i hope, hope that i can pick him up on Friday.. and give him losts of love..

What a horrid day.. Bella is wondering where he is and she was the one with the ongoing condition...

I did ask about chemo as well.. and the vet said they would look into that for me.. But lets hope that the xrays prove right and there is no spread...I do not think i could bare to see him any different from the cat i love to bits

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 17:50:10 PM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline angel-77

• Senior Cat
  • Tia & Oscar
  • Slave to: Tia (Tee'bo) & Oscar (Oscardoodles)
Positive vibes for Leo xxx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
So sorry Sharon but if this saves his life its the best :hug:

I have 3 legged Ducha and he must have lost his back leg the year before he came to me because how he uses the remaining back leg has changed and it seems to be more central now. He puts both front paws on the edge of the litter tray to do solids but normal for liquid.

He is so fast across the ground and up and down stairs  but he cant jump so high and he is a featherweight.

I am sure that once Leo has recovered and got usaed to it he will be absolutely fine :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
So sorry to read this Sharon, sending lots of love to Leo and hope all goes really well tomorrow xx  :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Sending you all my love and positive vibes hun  :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: My Leo is abit under the weather!
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2010, 16:47:29 PM »
Sorry Sharon  :hug:

On the bright side, it could have been a lot worse if it was somewhere else. They do recover quickly from amputations as you know. Not nice though  :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2010, 16:45:13 PM »
oh Sharon I am so sorry to hear this, I never imagined it would be anything like this - poor Leo  :hug:

• Super Cat
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2010, 16:43:42 PM »
Bad news!!#My precious Leo has to loose a leg the dodgy one has a tumour in it..Of course we ware doing as much as i can to give him a great chance of a happy life for the rest of his days.. So i had no other option. Xrays revealed it has not yet spread to his tummy,,, so we hope that is right but this gives me a good chance ...

I am deverstated... Really in shock and feel terrible.. That he may of been in such pain.. The vet said the leg was on the verge of fracturing again.. Its a back leg and he is in good health with bloods.. So please, please send positive bives for Leo who will be operated on tomorrow and i hope we can pick him up on Friday...

He means a lot to me!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2010, 16:12:46 PM »
Lots of good vibes for Leo  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2010, 14:49:49 PM »
That's interesting Mark, as my vet said it was supposed to be kinder on the kidneys than Metacam.

Good luck for today Sharon

Maybe it is a bit? but it seems to have the same kind of warnings. I would imagine that all vets would switch to it if it was that good?

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Online CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2010, 14:40:04 PM »
Hope Leo's vet visit goes well.  :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2010, 08:20:42 AM »
That's interesting Mark, as my vet said it was supposed to be kinder on the kidneys than Metacam.

Good luck for today Sharon
Please spay your cat

• Super Cat
Re: My Leo is abit under the weather! Positive vibes pls!!
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2010, 08:08:51 AM »
Positive vibes for Leo today.. We did have a little foray into the garden yesterday and he managed to jump the ditch behind the aviary for a nose.. I suppose he ate just under one pouch of Whiskars yesterday and a small bowl of chicken.. But of course i cannot give him anything this morning due to his xray.. I have not heard him miow in a few days so that is not a good sign. Siamese are always vocal.. He know also has a sore eye.. I hope, very much hope its all sortable.. he is very precious to me...! Not known him to be so down in the dumps since his had this pelvis injury around 8 yrs ago..

Mark i found out that Lady Dane Vets in Faversham does acupunture...Which is much closer, if a little out the way to get to...and the lady vet left a message on my pnone last night. So much more prompt then the Dover one that took 5 days to get back to me!!  Just need to get there if my own vet thinks it may be worth it and also that we are not barking up the wrong tree with joint issues. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 08:10:39 AM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2010, 20:02:19 PM »
I just looked up Onsior on Noah with a view to trying Alice on them but the contra's seem pretty much the same as with Metacam
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Novartis_Animal_Health_UK_Ltd/Onsior_6_mg_flavoured_tablets_for_Cats/-46115.html

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2010, 15:18:00 PM »
But Metacam can also shorten their life - Zi had bloods done 8 months apart last year, and went from fine to CRF - she had only been on daily Metacam for a couple of those months with occasional metacam for the rest of the time.
Could that not be down to age anyway tho?
Theres a alot of negativity towards metacam when its the only thing for the job, any human who suffers joint issues can say how much it knocks on quality of life, they certainly wouldnt just take supplements for chronic pain!

It could be, but her drinking was noticeably more when on Metacam, hence me stopping it more than once before allowing the vet to persuade me to put her on it daily. And yes, I do suffer with chronic joint pains, and do try to cope without painkillers whenever possible as your body becomes used to them, and then needs higher and higher doses.

The other problem with using Metacam is the situation I am in with Zia - Metacam has likely caused the CRF, but because she is on MEtacam, it limits treating CRF, as you can't give Fortekor (the two react and make the kidneys worse), and as Metacam is known to kill kidney cells, it will speed up CRF - not something I would want to put a young cat through if supplements can help them have a good quality of life.

There is also Onsior available now which isn't as harsh on the kidneys, which while only licenced for 7 days, can be used off licence on a one week on, one week off basis (as long as you sign a disclaimer) - the tablets aren't that big, but Zi twigged after 3 days.

Good luck with the xrays on Thurs Sharon.
Please spay your cat

• Super Cat
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2010, 13:54:50 PM »
Leo has eaten abit today, but i rang the vets and he going in for an xray on Wed..!
Earlier we did enjoy a brief visit and walk around.. He is now asleep in the conservatory
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 15:47:05 PM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2010, 11:19:07 AM »
The Almo Nature fish tins are very good and certainly appeal to Blip: you can get trout with tuna, and mackeral on its own as well as various varieties of tuna.  Leo might like those if he likes fish?  I get mine online from Zooplus: it also sells Applaws.

How is Leo today, Sharon?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2010, 23:19:00 PM »
One here in Bluebell Hill http://www.nkrvets.co.uk/our-locations?location=Kent
Another in Maidstone http://www.collegevet.co.uk/
It says this vet in Dover does it but not sure if they only treat horses - worth a call? http://burnhamhousevets.com/contactus.aspx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2010, 23:03:02 PM »
i have a vet about 18 miles away who does this, not my vets but was recommended to me by a few. sadly not neasr you tho lol

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2010, 22:07:53 PM »
The thing I can always get mine to eat is Hi-Life pates and Gourmet pates and they love tinned salmon (a bit of oily fish is good)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2010, 20:41:23 PM »
Have you tried the pet shop in the High St in Herne Bay (Sea Street?) - at the back, they have some posh brands. I know they have Almo Nature and some others.

I know for a fact Sainsbury's in Chestfield have it. It is sold under the name Encore in Sainsbury's but it is Applaws.

Poor Leo  :ahh:

Make sure you give Metacam with food.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 20:45:22 PM by Mark »

• Super Cat
Re: My Leo is back at the vets..Still not himself POSITIVE VIBES PLS
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2010, 20:24:02 PM »
According to the meacam info, loss of appetiate is a side effect... However, Leo ihave never been  a big eater and has remained very constant in weight. 4.30 kilograms.. He seems fine with tummy issues, and uses the tray okay... He does manage to jump up on top of the sofa settee and on my bed last night.. He does not seem in pain, no flinching and his joints do not seem warm.. He does however seek out the heat and loves being nr the fire..I did manag to get him to eat a good plate of sardines but he refused chicken.. I have tried nice and very expensive food. Appallse food isnt sold locally.. I will have to buy online .. I have not seen any of our vets stock it.

Anyhow.. when i asked the vet what is the typical treatment for joint pain in cats seems as though metacam is it really.. Although someone mentioned acupunture as being of help... to support such conditions. But no vet locally does this.. Anyhow..hope things improve soon
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 11:12:19 AM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2010, 19:35:48 PM »
But Metacam can also shorten their life
Yes, but I would rather Blip had a shorter life free from pain than a longer life in constant discomfort.  I would make the same decision for anyone I loved and for myself.
I wouldnt do it to a young cat, unless it was incredibly severe, I would much rather use supplements instead.

Pain is pain, however old you are.  'Supplements' won't stop pain.  I hope no-one ever withholds painkillers from me when I need them, Des  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2010, 19:24:48 PM »
Sorry hes not any better sharon, i also wonder if the malaise is not joint related, stomach upset is the normal reaction to metacam.
Have you tried applaws chicken? Finger feeding that to simon was what got him through his poorly patch

But Metacam can also shorten their life - Zi had bloods done 8 months apart last year, and went from fine to CRF - she had only been on daily Metacam for a couple of those months with occasional metacam for the rest of the time.
Could that not be down to age anyway tho?
Theres a alot of negativity towards metacam when its the only thing for the job, any human who suffers joint issues can say how much it knocks on quality of life, they certainly wouldnt just take supplements for chronic pain!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2010, 17:47:30 PM »

Yes, but I would rather Blip had a shorter life free from pain than a longer life in constant discomfort.  I would make the same decision for anyone I loved and for myself.

I wouldnt do it to a young cat, unless it was incredibly severe, I would much rather use supplements instead.

Sharon - never noticed a cat be subdued from Metacam, but all cats react differently.
Please spay your cat

• Super Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2010, 16:55:49 PM »
Thank you! Leo had quite abit of sardines for tea so that is good..But yes, i aim to not give him any tomorrow and see if any difference for a few days, but will ring the vets anyhow..

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 16:46:14 PM »
Poor Leo  :(  if you're unsure I would think the only way to find out is to leave him off the Metacam for a couple of days and reintroduce it and see what happens, hope things pick up for him  :hug:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 16:46:49 PM by Janeyk »

• Super Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2010, 14:43:12 PM »
Poor Leo is not much better. In fact his joints seem fine and he is walking around okay, but he still have hardly eaten anything and is so quiet and subdued...! Whether Medacam has this effect i do not know, but its pointless giving him the herbal stuff if i cannot get him to eat much.. I have cooked chicken today and he still oky looks at it and hardly seems to eat with gusto.. A call to the vets tomorrow i think.. and maybe a day off the Metacam (i want do it tomorrow) to see if he improves.. Maybe its making him sleepy and lethagic... I do not think he have ventured out eh door much at all today even his sister is more lively then Leo at the moment.

I will try another bit of chicken later on today, but he just does not seem fussed. Getting a bit worried about my boy now..!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2010, 13:23:44 PM »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2010, 11:35:29 AM »
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 20:38:45 PM »
they need proper medication for arthritis not supplements, theres no point living a longer uncomfortable life when they can chase leaves in the garden with metacam  :Luv2:

+2 (Blip and I).

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 20:32:01 PM »
Is he any better on the metacam? Gooey started on it in november and it has really helped, hes on an every other day dose now its warmed up a bit and so far so good  ;D
Its not ideal giving regular metacam but its so good at what it does, its alright using supplements but they dont work for chronic pain, which we all know cats are v.good at hiding  :( they need proper medication for arthritis not supplements, theres no point living a longer uncomfortable life when they can chase leaves in the garden with metacam  :Luv2:

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 15:04:08 PM »
Thanks Mark... Leo seems alot more active this afternoon and has had some cooked chicken and wonder a round in the garden.. So at least we are moving in the right direction

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 10:46:24 AM »
I think your vet might be taking the pee.

I found the UK website. It says their products are only available through vets. Looking at the ingredients, they have the same ingredients as any other glucosamine supplement with a bit of vitamin C and zinc added. No other magical ingredients. http://www.nutravet.co.uk/node/27

This has the same + extra things and I bet it is a lot cheaper. It has Glucosamine Sulphate rather than hydrochloride. Some say one works better than the other.http://www.vitabiotics.com/jointace/omega3_formula.aspx
There may even be another animal one with zinc and vitamin C in.

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 10:24:44 AM »
Yes id did say i was notkeen on long term use of Metacam.. But at the moment we just have a months supply.. I was given  Nutraquin plus tablets that are a new product apparently. Made in Canada and to give them in place of metacam if we can.. They ar however nearly 40 quid per 60 days worth...! I hope the insurance pays out on such meds..  I tried last night to see if i could google them but so far have not managed to find them on a UK site.. This may not be what they are called online anyhow. Still.. at the moment he still has not eaten very little..

Vet told me that you can only get them from the vets but they were not prescription drug..
At the moment Mark.. i have to encourage Leo to go out. I was told i should see some improvement in a wk..
Otherwise go back..

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 08:32:18 AM »
When the vet saw Alice last week he said that he doesn't really want her on Metacam if it can be avoided. He also said keep up the glucosamine.

I know Leo is very active which should help? - has he dragged any bunnies through the flap lately? 
I have to take Alice into the garden a couple of times a day to get her to have a little stroll but I know your two are quite active outdoorsy cats.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 08:33:53 AM by Mark »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 08:17:11 AM »
Glad it is nothing too serious, but I would try and wean him off the metacam and keep him on glucosamine supplements. What are the new tablets, I might try them on Zi
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 19:09:28 PM »
poor Leo, glad its nothing too serious

Online CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 17:29:20 PM »