Author Topic: Cat water fountains - any good? Which one?  (Read 3935 times)

Offline KrazyKatLady

• Adult Cat
Re: Cat water fountains - any good? Which one?
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 23:48:09 PM »
It works!! Not only did I get a new pump, I got a whole new water fountain, which arrived the same week I emailed a complaint to the supplier.... funny that eh?

Cats are using it just fine! But still come running when they hear the taps drip... lol

Kiwi looking slightly bemused..

Aussie more interested in something else, as per usual...

Kiwi gets the hang of it!

Cat Mom to Aussie & Kiwi, and non furry child Caleb.

Offline Baby British

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 12:24:45 PM »
Well it has arrived and  I have managed to set it up. The instructions seemed a bit complicated (though this could just be down to me  :doh: ) but it was actually really easy to set up. I did panic a bit when I first plugged it in as the pump made a right racket but this subsided after 10 secs or so I guess this was just everything gearing up as now I am impressed with just how quiet the unit is. The cats showed an intial interest and had a play in the water but now they are more contented playing with the box that the fountain came in - typical  >:(

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 10:37:59 AM »
It doesn't happen often - it only really happens if the water is getting low or it is due for a clean. I still think they are the best ones. Now & again I give them a good clean with descaler as the water is hard here but then I end up rinsing them for about 1/2 hour  :Crazy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Baby British

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 09:51:17 AM »
I have found sometimes if it starts making a noise or stops, turn it off at the mains and then on again and it will often work again. The first platinum I bought had a dodgy motor and they sent me a replacement part.

Don't say that now - our platinum is coming today!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 08:55:29 AM »
I have found sometimes if it starts making a noise or stops, turn it off at the mains and then on again and it will often work again. The first platinum I bought had a dodgy motor and they sent me a replacement part.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline KrazyKatLady

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 23:00:46 PM »
 :censored: Grrrrrrrrrrrr... can't get it to work. FAIL!!!

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 21:37:54 PM »
Hope the Kittys enkoy their fountain. Hope u get some nice pics

My big problem with my fountain is that Tyler likes to wash her paws in it for some weirs reason. Every day the paws get a wash in the bowl part of the fountain and it gets clogged with fur
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 21:38:53 PM by puggy1975 (Zoe) »
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline KrazyKatLady

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 21:23:49 PM »
Mine was delivered today!!!! I am just about to open it and set it up... will let you know what they all think and share pics... just hope I shan't be running to the loo every five minutes with all that running water....

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 22:38:14 PM »
I had actually considered an indoor water feature but was a bit worried about safety and also if there was any leaching of chemicals into the water.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 21:47:52 PM »
I think they are pricey for a bit of plastic but they serve their purpose. You can also buy spare parts although I have never needed to. Also they double as humidifiers  and triple as water features  :evillaugh: (I think they do cut out outside sounds a bit).

Can't they come up with one of those zen garden designs with bamboo shoot and stuff?  That would be really pretty to look at as well  :evillaugh:

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 18:21:19 PM »
I think they are pricey for a bit of plastic but they serve their purpose. You can also buy spare parts although I have never needed to. Also they double as humidifiers  and triple as water features  :evillaugh: (I think they do cut out outside sounds a bit). I checked before I ordered mine and the platinum is lower voltage than the standard and the motor is also much quieter - also with the reservoir being so large, it rarely needs filling. I don't bother with the filters. I just give them a good wash every week.

Although it took a long time to notice Willow's drinking increasing, I'm sure it helped her as she used it all the time.

I put mineral water in ours  :snooty:  :evillaugh:

Toff! ;)
Well if I ever do get Molly one.... she'll make do with 'guid auld'  Scottish tap water and like it!   :evillaugh:

Glad you mentioned noise level, it was the one thing I was concerned about -  having a little motor running and hearing an 'whirr' in the background  would drive me nuts.   The sound of running water however, is so very peaceful, tranquil and a good chill out.   Maybe I'll invest in a human sized one and to hang with Molly   :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 15:50:28 PM »
I think they are pricey for a bit of plastic but they serve their purpose. You can also buy spare parts although I have never needed to. Also they double as humidifiers  and triple as water features  :evillaugh: (I think they do cut out outside sounds a bit). I checked before I ordered mine and the platinum is lower voltage than the standard and the motor is also much quieter - also with the reservoir being so large, it rarely needs filling. I don't bother with the filters. I just give them a good wash every week.

Although it took a long time to notice Willow's drinking increasing, I'm sure it helped her as she used it all the time.

I put mineral water in ours  :snooty:  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 15:52:26 PM by Mark »

Offline Baby British

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 15:27:12 PM »
Thanks all for input. I have decided to go with the drinkwell platinum (from VetUk - cheers for the heads up Mark!) as I think that Marley would really appreciate the free fall flow! Also I like the idea of low voltage blah blah blah and loads of you have given it good reviews.

I tell you, these cats - I sometimes don't think they realize how lucky they are !

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 11:01:42 AM »
We have the newer Catit but we had the globe one before and ours like both.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 09:37:06 AM »
We have the Drinkwell Platinum ones and they are left on 24/7. The oldest one has been running for 2 years solid and only turned off for cleaning.

VetUK are usually the cheapest for them.

We also have a Catit one where the water comes over a globe in the centre but none of the cats are interested in it.

Snap, except we turn ours off at night.

We had a Catit one too which was good but Milo didn't show as much interest in it as he does with the platinum.

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 15:54:05 PM »
You mean so you don't have to put up with this???    :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeuSHDg6ACE

Laughs aside, I might invest in one of these - Mols only drinks from the shower head (I have to lay it on the bath and leave it trickling out....sigh)

Offline KrazyKatLady

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 14:14:42 PM »
i have ordered a Catit one, still waiting for it to arrive but will let you know how we get on. Hoping it saves me having to leave the taps dripping all the time!!!

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 13:03:09 PM »
We also have a Catit one where the water comes over a globe in the centre but none of the cats are interested in it.

We have several of these ones mark and they are a life saver for us as we don't have to change bowls all day and the cats love em!!  funny how some cats take to them and some don't.
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 11:21:49 AM »
I have the Drinkwell platinum to and again its on 24/7 except for cleaning. Had it over a year now with no probs. The cats love it,

I had the cat it dome before and the cats did not like it to much and it seemed to get awfully slimey quickley
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
We have the Drinkwell Platinum ones and they are left on 24/7. The oldest one has been running for 2 years solid and only turned off for cleaning.

VetUK are usually the cheapest for them.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 11:04:37 AM by Mark »

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 10:57:54 AM »
Our Smokey had a water obsession too and this was his favourite thing, he used to just lay resting his head on it in the summer  :Luv2:  we bought it specially for Smokey but our other cat Schui used it too - when he could get a look in  :evillaugh:  As you can see  it was a Petmate one, definitely well worth it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 10:58:49 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Baby British

• Adult Cat
Cat water fountains - any good? Which one?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 10:50:45 AM »
Due to Marley's obsession with all things water I have been toying with the idea of eventually getting him a cat water fountain. The thing is I have heard some horror stories about cats being electrocuted as a result of using these. I'd welcome any ones thoughts or experience with these water fountains and also which brand( if I did decide to get one) comes the most recommended.

Thanks!

Link to CatChat