Author Topic: Mogs is at the vets again - Shes gone  (Read 7781 times)

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
Re: Mogs is at the vets again
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2009, 13:12:31 PM »
Ive spoken to the vets and Mogs will be going for her last journey this afternoon.

She had pottassium yesterday and the way she is now she hasnt tolerated being off a drip so her kidneys are too damaged.
Shes not happy and obviously isnt well so Ive made the kindest decision. Anything else would have been for my benefit to put off the decision rather than whats best for Mogs and thats not fair.
love
tab

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2009, 12:48:19 PM »
  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2009, 09:04:18 AM »
I am sorry that things arent looking positive Tab, I would chat things through with the vet in case there is something that can be done - low potassium (common with CRF) can cause leg issues, so maybe she just needs a potassium boost.
Please spay your cat

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2009, 09:03:03 AM »
Aw hun, sending you tons of  :hug: :hug:

I hope she picks up and gets some strength back in her legs, and eats a wee bit more today  :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2009, 08:19:12 AM »
Mogs came home last night. Shes probably got to go back today for blood tests if she seems ok but from what the vet said they are expecting her back today ill. They said the next 24-48 hours was crucial and that I would know if shes ok or not. The main thing is to see is she has enough kidney function left to live and to try to get her eating.

Last night I cooked some coley fish in water and she came to the kitchen door because she could smell it. She went to where the food is normally and just looked at the water dish but her back legs were all splayed like bambi on the kitchen floor. She couldnt do her usual yelling just quiet little squeaks. I had to let it cool before feeding them and by the time it had Mogs had gone back to bed. I put some down about a foot away from her bed in the front room and she came out and drank the liquid then just lay in front of the dish for about 10 minutes before she had the strength to eat any fish. Of course Amber was convinced Mogs was getting something special and left her own fish to come and eat Mogs's. Mogs did eat some fish but only a couple of mouthfulls before going back to bed.
She came out to use the tray and Amber screamed at her and thumped her one. In fact Mogs has now used the tray twice and Ambers screamed each time which isnt good. The rest of the time Amber is guarding me and glaring at Mogs.
This morning Mogs is a little more mobile but still very wobbly and her back legs just dont seem to be right. They're kind of splayed and her back seems flat from part way down. At one point I thought they'd given up completely on her as she tried to get up and only the front half worked. Shes been in the kitchen for breakfast. I gave them both felix senior with extra warm water to melt the jelly. Mogs has had her jelly and Ambers but hasnt eaten any meat and hasnt drunk any water. Again she had to come and lie down for a rest half way through. Shes back in bed now.

My mind is going in circles. Part of me is saying shes eating so must feel better and want to live. The other half is saying what life is there if she cant jump on the bed or settee for a cuddle, isnt drinking or eating enough, isnt standing up but is kind of crouched down and just isnt happy. She isnt going to get better. I lifted her onto the settee for a cuddle this morning and she put her head on my wrist and just lay there. She didnt struggle at all and Mogs doesnt really do cuddles.

I have to phone the vet at lunchtime for a chat but think this afternooon will be the final journey

Sorry about the sad post
love
Tab

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2009, 20:22:27 PM »
That's great news Tab  :)  hope Mogs is now home and that she and Amber are enjoying their stocking  :Luv:  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2009, 19:44:57 PM »
Fingers crossed that everything went well picking her up and she is happy to be back at home - hope you dont have any problems with the vet smells.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2009, 12:27:28 PM »
That's good to hear  :Luv:  Hope they enjoy the stocking!
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2009, 12:26:40 PM »
The vets have phoned and all being well I can being her home tonight after 5pm.
Then I can finally open the cat stocking that for them both. I know Amber will claim everything but I would like Mogs to have a little look  :evillaugh:
love
Tab

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2009, 22:18:56 PM »
Sounds good! Positive vibes to bring her home tomorrow!  :hug: :hug:

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009, 19:05:42 PM »
Keeping everything crossed for darling Mogs that she can come home tomorrow  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2009, 18:50:23 PM »
Glad the news is more positive, fingers crossed she can come home tomorrow.

Ditto  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 18:37:56 PM »
Glad the news is more positive, fingers crossed she can come home tomorrow.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 18:32:06 PM »
Fingers crossed for her  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 18:21:40 PM »
 :) keeping fingers crossed that dear Mogs can come home feeling better tomorrow xx  :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 17:53:26 PM »
The vets have just phoned and said Mogs is doing ok. [...] I possibly missed some of what was said and will have to recheck everything tomorrow. Its was a mixture of a fast speaking vet with an irish accent and my brain relaxing when they said she could come home tomorrow  :evillaugh:

So far so good.  Keep us posted  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 17:40:38 PM »
I'm so pleased that she's doing OK.  :crossed: that she continues to improve  :hug:

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 17:25:10 PM »
The vets have just phoned and said Mogs is doing ok. Shes been on a high level drip and its flushed the toxins out so the urea and creatitine levels have come down. They've done a specific gravity test on her urine which wasnt normal and they will re do it tomorrow. Shes going to be on a maintenance drip overnight and Im to phone in the morning and hopefully she can come home. They wont know for a few days though if the kidneys are permanantly damaged and if she can keep the levels steady without a drip or something. They said shes still very poorly and its still touch and go with her being old and ill but shes better than yesterday.
I possibly missed some of what was said and will have to recheck everything tomorrow. Its was a mixture of a fast speaking vet with an irish accent and my brain relaxing when they said she could come home tomorrow  :evillaugh:
love
Tab

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 11:15:12 AM »
Thanks all. Im waiting for a phone call but cant really relax and do things. In fact its taken me until now to put the washer on in case I didnt hear the phone or something silly. I didnt sleep well last night in a I hope its good news but if its bad what do I do. I always assumed I would take my cats to the vets at the right time and they would be pts there in front of me so I could cuddle them but as shes already in do I go down and possibly disturb her or stay at home?? I just dont know what I should do or what I want to do as Ive never dont this before and then I mentally shout at myself that I havent heard anything and thats good and she may bounce back so all this worrying wont matter etc etc
love
Tab

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 10:22:14 AM »
Fingers crossed the drip helps a lot, I have known them halve cats numbers, and as the others have said, they could be falsely high. Fingers crossed for positive news today.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 19:35:47 PM »
Sending lots of vibes for Mogs xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 18:09:30 PM »
Lots of good wishes for Mog  :hug: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 15:45:24 PM »
Carol - you beat me to it. Only yesterday, my vet said thereis no point doing readings on a dehydrated cat as they will always have high readings. Lets hope the readings are a lot better after she has been on the drip  :hug:

The VN told me Willow is a lot better after being on one for 24hrs and I have to pick her up in a couple of hours.

Hope Mogs is OK Tab  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 15:14:18 PM »
Sending lots of positive vibes for Mogs and  :hug:  :hug: for you Tab.  Don't give up hope, she may respond well to the fluids.  A creatinine of 332 is not normally end-stage and is probably a falsely high value anyway since its been taken while she's dehydrated. 

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 15:07:47 PM »
The vets have phoned and its not looking good . When she had full bloods in June her Urea was 13.7 and now its 32.7 and her creatinine was 134 and now its 332 so her kidneys have packed in. Shes on a drip to flush her out and it may kick start the kidneys but she'll be re-tested tomorrow and we'll have to see then. He said its touch and go though. He also said shes lost weight since he saw her a week or so ago and that all this is nothing to do with leaving her at the cattery which has helped as I was feeling so guilty
love
Tab

Edited for spelling
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 15:09:21 PM by tab »

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 14:21:30 PM »
 :( Poor Mogs, lots of get well wishes being sent her way  :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 14:07:25 PM »
Yes, keep us posted Tab  :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 13:54:57 PM »
Sending lots of positive vibes to Mogs, hope the vets get her hydrated quickly  :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 13:16:35 PM »
Oh heck! Do hope the vets can make her more comfortable Tabs, give Amber a head rub for us will you!  :Luv2: :hug: :hug:

Positive healing vibes to darling Mogs!!!  :Luv2: :hug:

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
Mogs is at the vets again - Shes gone
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 13:05:25 PM »
Mogs and Amber have been at the cattery over christmas. I was going to pick them up today but Im really not well so Mum and Dad went instead. I phoned to explain and was told that this morning Mogs isnt too good. Shes wobbly in the back legs and hasnt taken herself off for her usual walk up the corridor whilst the trays and food are being done. Shes been fine whilst in there and had extra heating and has eaten and used the tray ok so I thought that maybe with it being cold she was just stiff but Mum and Dad brought her in and she was very wobbly at the back and looked liked shes lost loads of weight since going in on 23rd. She wobbled into the kitchen and tried to drink but it looked like she just had her head in the dish and couldnt lap. I pulled her skin and shes dehydrated. She came back in and just lay on the floor so I phoned the vets who said to go down. She lay in the box not moving and when I got to the vets the receptionist took one look and dragged Patrick out of a consult into another room and we got seen imediately even though people were waiting. Patrick had a quick look at Mogs who by then was shaking and took her straight through to the back. They're doing bloods and will probably put her on a drip when they know whats going on but she looked dreadful.
So Im home with an empty box, Ambers looking around for Mogs and already yowling as though she has cystitis even though shes been on tablets. I just have to wait for a phone call now.
love
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 15:22:08 PM by tab »

Link to CatChat