Author Topic: Heated cat beds for outside?  (Read 4151 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Heated cat beds for outside?
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 20:24:44 PM »
I've also heard some peeps say that hay/straw is the warmest thing - anyone else heard that?

It's the vegetable material breaking down that gives off heat, I believe: hang on, BRB

Thanks Christine, I think it was an old friend of mine who used to fill her kennel with it
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 19:50:06 PM »
Ooo a mrs magoo  :Luv2: iv asked but he doesnt want a mistress  :(

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 19:57:39 PM »
Funnily enough - she's white!  ;)

Thats another thing that worries me about her, as I bet they never think of sunblock in the summer and she is a real sun worshipper.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 19:52:03 PM »
She sounds just like gooey  :evillaugh:  is she torti?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 19:49:08 PM »
Oh yes of course! I'd completely forgotten, I used to put hay in the little house part of the outside cat tree, the cats used to love it and it was always lovely and warm - thanks for reminding me, thats it then, off down the pet shop tomorrow for a few bags of hay  ;)

i often wonder why its me thats feeling bad when the owners dont give a second thought, they arent even nasty people just self absorbed in their own lives. :tired:

I feel just the same, it breaks my heart to see her out there, huddled on the car bonnets. I'd have her in here but she hates other cats, and she's very feisty - deffo not a picky up cat LOL!  :evillaugh: She's one of these jekyll and hyde cats, where you can stroke her and she's liking it then suddenly lashes out - she even hisses at me when I put some biscuits out for her - but I see her wolfing them down when I've gone back in LOL! And she doesnt think twice about laucnhing herself at my legs as I'm trying to go up or down my own steps!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 19:16:06 PM »
It seems I'm not the only one to think so, and nor are you: http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=11668748
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 19:13:02 PM »
I've also heard some peeps say that hay/straw is the warmest thing - anyone else heard that?

It's the vegetable material breaking down that gives off heat, I believe: hang on, BRB
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 18:58:01 PM »
This thread is of interest to me as I'm wondering what is best for my ferals (was going to ask you Liz  :)) I have snuggle safe so I'm going to pop one in, need to get there before they do though  :shify: I've also heard some peeps say that hay/straw is the warmest thing - anyone else heard that?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 18:51:26 PM »
Iv found snuggle pads pretty good, certainly better than nothing and much safer for outdoor use. I wouldnt run an electrical one outside just incase, the type i use have a connection down the wire so certainly wouldnt be safe.

Mr snugs kennels can be found reasonably priced, should be less drafty than a carrier. I think i got one on ebay.

Its horrible to see them out when your own are happily indoors all warm, theres 5 cat owning houses in my street and 3 of those shut theirs out with no cat flap or shelter  >:( :( saggy belly is in his late teens and badly arthritic, he now uses a kennel in my garden as the petporte keeps him out of dexters converted pad, i often wonder why its me thats feeling bad when the owners dont give a second thought, they arent even nasty people just self absorbed in their own lives. :tired:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 18:07:08 PM »
Our wendyhouse ferals have Snugglesafes I pop in the micro for 10 minsw and put out at 11pm and pick up said snugglesafes at about 7am and still warm - I wrap ours in my Dads old Cashemere jumpers and the heat seems to stay!

The garage ferals have the metal plug in types - 2 off as we have power in there (OH thinks we only have one on 24/7! :shocked:)
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 14:32:31 PM »
Our shed has a cat flap....and there's an igloo bed in there too. ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 14:12:17 PM »
if you have a thermometer, why not try different materials in the Snug and pop the thermometer underneath to see how effective different combinations are?

I tried that with my outdoor kennel when Tosker was using it  and was surprised how warm it was inside with fairly minimal bedding - I think the secret is to keep the entrance well away from any cold winds
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 13:18:02 PM »
I bought the one on the link for Kylie's Mr Snugs house in the garden but Alice has a medium flectabed for indoors (as well as another heated bed)

This is the flectabed. You can get them with a faux suede or faux sheepskin cover. I only paid £18 for a medium but can'r find them cheap online. http://www.petstuffgalore.co.uk/dog-products/dog-bedding/flectabed/flectabed-size-2---26in-x-20in.html
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 13:25:23 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 13:15:43 PM »
Thanks Mark! Ginger Intruder is out random weather too; have set up a cubby in the shed and was looking for an affordable heat source not requiring plugging in.....

Wish the idiot that owns GI would get him a cat flap; it's really starting to annoy me now.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 12:53:33 PM »
I don't know of any outdoor heated beds but you can get self-heating pads that reflect body heat - these are the cheaper ones (and this is the cheapest supplier!  :evillaugh: ) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ancol-Self-Heating-Pet-Pad-Dog-Cat-Small-Sleepy-Paws_W0QQitemZ390099082178QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs?hash=item5ad3b79bc2 the only problem is they make crinkly noise. The flectabed ones are far superior but more expensive. They also reflect body heat - the same stuff they wrap people in to stop them getting hypothermia. Although they are quite good at reflecting heat, they say they are no good for animals with hypothermia as they only reflect existing heat.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 12:27:47 PM »
I dont know about the heated pads Gillian, but I do know how awful seeing your neighbours cat out in all weathers must be making you feel!  :( :hug: :hug:

Why cant all people have the same attitude!  :tired: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
Heated cat beds for outside?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 12:16:23 PM »
Can those heated pads be used outside? Neighbour's cat is outside in all weathers again. When we had all that snow and freezing weather earlier this year I made a little shelter for her out of an old plastic cat carrier which I lined inside and put vetbed in, plus covered it all over with tarpaulin, but really its just that, a shelter, its not going to keep her warm. She uses it but at the moment she is sitting on car bonnets whenever anyone arrives home so she's obviously seeking warmth.

I thought about those Snugglesafe discs but they are quite small and the don't retain the heat that long I found. (Can't find the one I had anyway!)

Link to CatChat