Author Topic: Presents/toys for the older cat????  (Read 4582 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: Presents/toys for the older cat????
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 09:37:54 AM »
My Teddie is in the catnip gang also, she is almost 18....She is scared of feathers awww!  :Luv2: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 00:17:53 AM »
If they like catnip, the catip bananas and Christmas Trees in the Purrs Shop really are popular.  I gave them out as Christmas presents to "cat people" last year and they went down very well  :)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 13:22:22 PM »
Jaffa (age 12) says da mouse is da best  ;D

Offline harlequin

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 13:00:23 PM »
If they're past playing, you could always get them a Cozy Calming Mat http://www.thecatgallery.co.uk/acatalog/For_Your_Cat_Snoozing.html. My two grumpy old grizzlers are 12 and don't bother that much with toys, other than 'Sock Mouse', which I made for them by stuffing one of my old socks with catnip and sewing on a shoelace tail. Occasionally when they're feeling energetic, they both gang up on poor defenceless Sock Mouse and bat him round the kitchen, but generally they like to sit on their Cozy Calming Mats and have a doze in the warm :innocent:

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 17:31:56 PM »
Our dear departed Uncle M still loved ping-pong balls when he was in his dotage, especially the brightly coloured ones. He'd put on an amazing burst of speed to chase one up the corridor in spite of his arthritis!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 14:40:14 PM »
On toys, Blip's 11 and she won one of these in the auction last year.  She enjoys short bursts of play with it: http://www.mutleyandmog.co.uk/cat/cat-accessories/cat-toys/catnip-tail-tickler

This looks similar: http://www.mutleyandmog.co.uk/cat/cat-accessories/cat-toys/dr-noys-swizzle-bird
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 14:37:32 PM »
Yep, I've got all her medical records, passed on from Wood Green  ;D but I do know of a few cats about her age when I was at school my friend's neighbour's cat was 25.  My vet says as far as she knows she's the oldest she sees atm but our local CP have had older cats.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 14:31:36 PM »
Thats a stunning age and do you have proof of it cos she is around the age of the oldest living cat in UK for guinness book of records. There is one 28 I believe but they have no proof of age so not acceptable.

They have dated photographs of her going back to when she was a kittem but thats still not acceptable grrrrrrrrrrrr

Offline LucynLuna

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 14:06:25 PM »
25!! That's quite cool, and if she can still chase toys around there is no excuse for my parents lazy two!  I have long suspected that there is a greater element of laziness as opposed to old age with them two  :sneaky:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 14:01:34 PM »
My old girl Byron loves catnip, especially the Stinkies from the Purrs shop she sometimes bats them round, and lloves to play Da Bird but I have to be careful or she'd exhaust herself cos she's 25  :scared:  :evillaugh:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline LucynLuna

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 13:47:25 PM »
Cheers, I may try the catnip cushion, sounds like that could be ideal.  They are far too fussier eaters to bother with treat type presents (they would want fresh Salmon or Tuna!) and last time I attempted to get them to be active by chasing something they just looked at me as if were completely mad  :tired:!

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 10:45:44 AM »
I'm wondering this too as toys and stuff seem to be out of the window for Pepsi, I think she's past her playful stage now, and looks at me with disdain every time I try to get her into play mode  :naughty: I was considering maybe trying a laser pen though. Also thinking of the Whiskas stocking, it has two packets of crunchy treats (she's turned her nose up at the other treats I've got her though, fussy cat  :shify: ) and one of those balls with holes in that you put treats into. Even if she doesn't like the treats I might put bits of chicken or something in there in the hope that it encourages her to play/exercise a bit more  :innocent:

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 10:42:28 AM »
My Alice loves her Catac catnip cushions - they are her babies, she washes them and cuddles up on them. They are in various stages of grottiness as the oldest is over 2 years but she still loves them  :) - Also the laser is one of the few things that gets her going.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline LucynLuna

• Adult Cat
Presents/toys for the older cat????
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 10:39:22 AM »
Could anyone suggest any ideas for toys (xmas pressies) for the older cat?  My parents cats are about 14 years old, and as I have a couple of kittens I wanted to get "uncle and auntie" a present from them for xmas this year? :)

Link to CatChat