Author Topic: congestive heart failure - RIP xxx  (Read 14638 times)

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
Re: congestive heart failure
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 13:15:59 PM »
Congestive heart failure is a change in the hearts ability to cope with the amount of load its put under so it cannot fully cope with the circulating volume of blood. Generally caused by hypertrophy (thickening) of the walls of the ventricles. It can also be caused by heart attack, Ischaemic heart disease, Hypertrophic cardio myopathy (HCM) and long term hypertension. The thickening walls of the ventricles causes a reduced stroke volume and a reduced cardiac output. This can result in fluid pooling - oedema, shortness of breath and a reduced exercise tolerance.

Fortekor is an ACE inhibitor which has an effect on the kidneys causing the production of angiotensin 2 which causes vaso dilation (opening) of the blood vessels. this reduces vascular resistance and lowers blood pressure helping the heart in maintaining a good circulation.

In human patients, they generally have to stick to a fluid restriction so not to overload the circulating volume and are weighed regularly to determine how much fluid is being retained or lost. Diuretics are used to increase urine output so reducing the circulating volume and reducing the load on the heart.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 13:34:16 PM by Philip »
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 13:07:53 PM »
My Sam has congestive heart failure due to HCM, he's on Fortekor and diuretics, plus rutin because when he was initially diagnosed he was very poorly with a chylous effusion (fluid which had to be drained off). He's been on this combo since August last year and is doing pretty well.

He's also on a taurine supplement - v good for cats with heart failure, he gets 500mg a day. You can buy taurine from health food shops, I get mine here http://www.good4you.co.uk/store.asp?pid=109 . Co-enzyme Q10 is also good, as is L-Carnitine - there is a supplement that combines things like taurine, L-carnitine etc its called Cardio Strength http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cardio-Strength-for-Dogs-Cats-90-Capsules-16431_W0QQitemZ220283557537QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3349ec56a1&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

I got lots of good advice from the Yahoo heat group when Sam was first diagnosed http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart/ - so might be worth your mum joining  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 12:35:30 PM »
 :-[ I meant to say Benazecare. The good thing is the tablets are tiny so easier to hide. The generic form of Benazepril is very recent - ie in the last few months and some vets aren't aware of it. I have contacted the makers to suggest a 2.5mg film coated version for cats and they tell me the idea been passed to their product development team for consideration  :shify:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:40:09 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 12:17:23 PM »
Benazepril and Fortekor are one and the same: benazepril is the generic drug name and Fortekor the trade name. Generic will be cheaper the same as it is cheaper to my ibuprofen than Nurofen.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:17:45 PM by Fire Fox »
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 12:14:11 PM »
The leaflet says for heart disease in dogs and renal insufficiency in cats but I don't see why it would help cats as well - it basically opens up arteries so blood can flow more easily.

As it is a long-term med, I would get her to ask her vet about Benazepril. They are 5mg tablets so only 1/2 tablet a day needed but they are 1/2 the price of Fortekor. I have switched mine over to it. On Friday I got 4 boxes of 14 tablets for £46 which is 112 doses.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 11:55:53 AM »
This link has some info which may help Michelle:-

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,23398.0.html

eta: Pepper is on Fortekor for his heart and he seems to be doing fine.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 11:56:57 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 11:54:31 AM »
 :evillaugh: :hug:

Sorry no info just a big  :hug: for your mum and her babe!  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 11:55:27 AM by Bazsmum »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 11:45:32 AM »
Do you mean useful or was that done on purpose....?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
congestive heart failure - RIP xxx
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 11:30:54 AM »
My Mums cat has been diagnosed with this and put on fortekor.

Anyone got any useless tips or imformation please
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 15:16:47 PM by furbabystar (Michelle) »

Link to CatChat