Author Topic: Sugar has a cut  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Sugar has a cut
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 20:11:59 PM »
Its also good for a non cat things like if you have strong odours on a dinner plate and scrub with hibi it gets rid of them, fish odours is what iv tested it on as my dad is forever eating the stinky stuff  :sick:

Offline harlequin

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 06:30:57 AM »
You can buy it in the chemist or online with vet uk or the like, its a skin scrub thats used pre op so basically very good at killing germs  ;D its also useful for kitty acne
Aha! That does sound useful. I shall have to get some. Thanks Milly's Mum! :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 10:47:17 AM »
You can buy it in the chemist or online with vet uk or the like, its a skin scrub thats used pre op so basically very good at killing germs  ;D its also useful for kitty acne

Offline harlequin

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 06:37:15 AM »
Thanks for your messages guys. :) I gave Sugar's cut another good clean in salt water again last night and it has started to scab over, so at least it's healing. I shall continue to clean it with salt water several times a day for the next week or so just to be on the safe side. I've never heard of hibiscrub, Milly's Mum, but it sounds useful. What does it do and where do I get it from? xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 15:17:49 PM »
Have you any hibiscrub? As trigger says because of the area it will need to be kept an eye on

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 11:50:35 AM »
needs cleaning after further poos, I think, to keep clear from contamination

Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 07:08:03 AM »
It sounds very minor so I would think she would be ok, you soun to have done the right thing in bathing it so I would just keep your eye on it  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline harlequin

• Senior Cat
Sugar has a cut
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 07:01:55 AM »
Sugar, my 12-year-old Birman girl had a particularly squitty poo yesterday and managed to get some caught in the fur around her bum. This has happened a few times in the past, so I calmly held her while my partner, Adam, snipped the poo out of her fur. Just as he was about to finish, Sugar jumped suddenly and he nicked her with the scissors. These were proper cat grooming scissors, and I think things would have been a lot worse had we opted to use the kitchen scissors instead. The cut wasn't particularly deep and there wasn't any gushing blood. It looks like Adam just took some skin off her rather than the scissors sticking in deep - there was a couple of very small spots of blood, but this stopped after a few seconds. I've been bathing the wound in salt water to keep it clean and to help it heal - do you think it's worth taking her to the vet? If it looked infected I wouldn't hesitate to take her, but since it doesn't look particularly terrible I'm conscious that the vet will just charge me 20 quid to give me some commen sense advice like 'bathe it in salt water'. What do you guys think? Does anyone have experience of cuts on cats?

Link to CatChat