Author Topic: Possible stray help  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
Re: Possible stray help
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 20:25:57 PM »
Phew - that's reassured me.  I was worried about it as have never seen anything like it on any cat I've come across before.  He's definitely going on a trip to the vets, just waiting for him to get a bit more confident and hear back from CP.  :)

Karen

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 20:21:14 PM »
Tiggy had brown/black spots on her lips, I think they're like age spots (are they called liver spots?) on older people's hands  :shy:

If he's going to be seeing the vet once he's been captured to be neutered etc then the vet will be able to tell you for sure but I personally wouldn't be worried about it judging from that pic. 

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 20:16:03 PM »
lots of gingers have black marks on their gums - its just harmless pigmentation

Agree, it looks normal to me  ;D

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 20:11:50 PM »
lots of gingers have black marks on their gums - its just harmless pigmentation
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 20:00:06 PM »
Managed to catch a "meow in motion" shot so you can see his mouth mark.  He took ham from my fingers today and was ever so gently.   :Luv2:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 23:25:07 PM »
Hes a lovely boy  :Luv:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 23:20:26 PM »
He is gorgeous  ;D

You could insure him before he sees a vet  ;) ;)
Never thought of that - would an insurer cover a stray?  Obviously I wouldn't tell them it is a stray but if I took him to a vet and had to tell them (well I couldn't not tell them given the condition he is in!) would they not give me away to the insurers?

I'll see what the CP say.  I could always contact my vet and see if they would do a reduced rate for strays.  I just want him sorted before the weather starts to turn.  It is entirely possible he has a home and just isn't looked after.  It's just going to be a wait and see what happens next for him.  My real worry is that he will have something nasty which would obviously change everything.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 23:15:45 PM »
Aw he is lovely......Best of luck with him.... :Luv2: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 23:07:17 PM »
He is gorgeous  ;D

You could insure him before he sees a vet  ;) ;)

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 23:04:01 PM »
I don't think he would let me get a collar on him at the moment.  I'm just concerned about the mark on his jaw as much as anything. I'm happy to get him trapped, neutered and then re-released.   It wouldn't be too much trouble to get something set up for him to use as shelter if he wants to stay and outdoor cat. 

I've emailed the CP to see what they say. 

Here's my boy.....

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 22:49:24 PM »
What I did with a stray was put a paper collar on him, nothing came back so I took him and got him neutered (through local CP/vet) then as I suspected he did have a home put another collar on and got a phone call.  He is a stray but is living with an elderly lady and her son I still keep in contact.  Other ferals I have contacted local CP and got trap and taken them to vets for spay/neuter then released but they live here and looked after by us.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 22:33:09 PM »
I'm becoming more convinced he's homeless - he's just been round for supper and was around first thing this morning and most of the day apparently.

Ultimately I would want what is best for him and whilst I'm quite happy to pay out for neutering and check up, if he is in need of any treatment for anything I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to afford to get it done - which is why I have insurance for Robbie.

I don't think he would go into a carrier willingly - he's very cautious.  I suspect if I could get a wire carrier he could possibly be caught with a blanket and got into it but I suspect this would really traumatise him and set him back as he is just beginning to trust me a little.  The trap could be the best option.  The new CP branch is run by a lady who did her own rescuing so I think I will approach her and see whether there is anything she can do.  They aren't taking in cats due to no fosterers but she may be able to help trap him.

I do agree that anyone who lets an un-neutered tom out is irresponsible - there have been so many advertisements in our local paper for free neutering for anyone, regardless of whether on benefits or not, that there is no excuse.

Karen
x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 21:45:01 PM »
I would see if you can entice him into a carrier , the alternative would be to try and borrow a trap from one of the rescues.

If you ask them to catch him then you will have no rights to him.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 19:37:59 PM »
my own reaction, and this is just me, is that anyone who keeps an unneutered tom cat is not a dedicated pet owner, and anyone who takes the cat off their hands is doing the cat a favour, and probably them as well
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
Possible stray help
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 19:31:06 PM »
Which organisation would be best placed to ask for help with a possible stray - RSPCA, local cats protection (only just getting going) or some other rescue?  Basically Ginger Tom is spending more and more time in our garden.  Last year he was passing through and hardly ever saw him and was quite bulky.  Earlier this year I caught him sneaking into the house to steal Robbie's food.  So, started putting food outside whenever he was around (didn't leave it all the time as I wanted to be sure he was getting it).  He looked like he had lost weight and was starving, no matter what time of day it was.  He never stayed around though - always eat and run.  Only ever seemed to see him once a week or so (but as I work he may have been around a lot more and just not been seen).  For the last couple of weeks though he has come round a lot more regularly and sits waiting for his food on the conservatory steps so he can be seen.   

He is semi-approachable in that if he isn't paniced he will sniff your fingers as long as he is at a distance and stays very tense.  He will stay close whilst eating - we feed him on the kitchen steps now and he is happy to eat or sit there within about an arms length and I have managed to stroke him for about 2 seconds (progress!).  Recently he has started meowing for his food and I've noticed he has a brown mark on his jaw.  He also has a slightly manky eye and could certainly do with a snip (although he is a soft tom and haven't caught him spraying anywhere!).

Basically he could do with being taken to a vets to get checked over - if he is all clear then I'm fairly certain he would be coming back here to live as Robbie quite likes him.  I'm not entirely sure he is a stray though - he has been around from about 6.30am but disappears after he has had his evening meal and isn't around again until morning.....quite how I've gone from feeding him once a day to giving him breakfast, lunch and evening meal is anyone's guess!  I'm also worried that I'm enticing him away from his real home....but on the other hand, if he does have a home they don't seem to be looking after him!

Any thoughts?

Karen

Link to CatChat