Author Topic: Kitten-proofing one's house... More questions.  (Read 2313 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: Kitten-proofing one's house... More questions.
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 17:50:18 PM »
You'll have to be quicker next time lol! x

Offline lilja4ever

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 17:44:32 PM »
It's coming, it's coming people! I posted on here before trying the thread.  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 17:38:50 PM »
Was just wondering the same thing LOL

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 17:37:09 PM »
Where's the thread?  :shify: :hug:

Offline lilja4ever

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 17:30:56 PM »
Thank you for the advice. I will try to put tabasco sauce on the cables, just in case!

... see new thread about Hugo's arrival!!  ;D

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 10:09:52 AM »
I have pondered the bin problem in the past - Mosi was the kind of kitten who would find every possible problem.  I have a "swing" bin where the lid is lifted up rather than swings.  Not totally cat proof but not as easy to lift up a lid with a paw as it is to press one in.  You will probably be fine with a normal swing bin, but I just worried that they would get in there and eat cooked chicken bones or something  ;D

Cables are a thing to consider.  I've never had a problem with them as even Mosi left them alone, but you might want to keep an eye on them and consider a cable tidy or painting something yukky tasting on them (I put tabasco sauce on cables when Jaffa was a kitten - no idea whether he tried them or not!)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 09:16:31 AM »
Certain flowers such as lillies are highly poisonous to cats. Even the leaves are dangerous. If you have any blinds with dangling tassels, tie them up where the cat/kitten can't reach them as they are tempting to play with but can strangle - this goes for any toys with strings - only use them for supervised play and put them away if the kitten is going to be on its own. Cats and kittens can also swallow the string from joints of meat which can be fatal - ditto for floss, ties from bin bags etc etc.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 03:39:27 AM »
Its today.....SATURDAY.....Hugo day!  :wow: :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 22:07:54 PM »
On the whole anywhere they can get where we think is safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 19:00:50 PM »
Glass/tin recyclables could be a danger, sharp edges cut tongues! Could you use a lidded box instead of a bag?
Things to consider: fireplaces, candles, the loo, washing machine/tumble dryer, cables, first floor windows and blinds. If you run hot baths keep the door shut  ;)

Offline lilja4ever

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 17:14:18 PM »
You are right, I gave way too much time on my hands! (although I did work yesterday and today, supply work for teachers is starting to pick up, yay!).

I guess I am so impatient to have Hugo here that I spend my time planning for when that happens.

Seriously, this week is going soooooooooooo slooooooooowly! But it's almost the end of Thursday, only one more day to go!

I am probably too cautious too... My boyfriend feared that, and he was right. Oops! I will leave the bin and recycling bags where they are and see if he's interested. I will also check the gaps behind the fridge and under the cupboard.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 16:39:06 PM »
None of mine have ever had any interest in the swing bin but then they are not kittens.

I would be more worried about whether the kitten can get behind things llike the washer, fridhe, cooker or even working tops and cupborads..they look for the smallest place LOL

Think you have too much time to think and when he arrives he will find loads of dangerous places that nobody thought of  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline nutzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 16:03:12 PM »
I have taken the swingtop off my bin.  My boy is very curious about everything I toss in the bin, and although he hangs off the edge, he has not to my knowledge ever climbed in, even with a chicken carcass in it. 
Pam

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 14:35:41 PM »
I think you may be being a little too cautious  :shy:

I have never had a problem with the bin or recycle bags, I keep my recycle bags outside and the cats dont usually try to get into them. The bin well thats a different matter- they only try to get into there if I've thrown a chicken carcuss out  :sick:

I think other things would be to not leave anything near high worktops etc so they cant climb up  :)
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 13:50:50 PM »
I to say I've never considered the bin!  luckily nobody has ever tried to get into it, I keep my glass recycling in a hung up bag as well and again I've never had a problem

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 13:48:51 PM »
Boxes are magnets for kittens as our current hooligans Turbo and Jet have proved but we leave empty cardboard boxes around teh place as some of the older clancats like to sleep in them - we only have 30 odd beds around the place!

Re the bin whilst smallish not a problem but they have a bad habit at jumping on the bin - well 44 of ours do and can get stuck in a flip top bin and can't get out - we now put all rubbish in the bin outside

We will of course require photo's of the said kitten hooligan!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline lilja4ever

• Adult Cat
Kitten-proofing one's house... More questions.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 13:40:56 PM »
Hello,

I have one or two specific questions about possible hazards in my house... I hope noone minds me starting a new thread on this topic, I did do a search and read many posts on the topic but I want to make sure my house is as safe as possible for my new kitten Hugo's arrival on Saturday (only two more sleeps, woop woop!!)

- What is a cat-proof bin? Our bin has a swing top, as in the picture below. I have a suspicion that it's not the safest for cats. What do you think?

- I was wondering about recycling... We have two strong bags (of the type you buy especially for recycling, they even say "cardboard" and "glass" on them) that we keep by the side door of our kitchen. One holds cardboard and the other glass/tins/paper. I was thinking this might be dangerous for Hugo, as he might want to climb into them?

Thanks in advance  :) 

Link to CatChat