Author Topic: 2 week old Kittens w/ fleas no longer!  (Read 10121 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: 2 week old Kittens w/ fleas
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 13:06:13 PM »
Gosh that took some searching!  Have finally found it's OK to use the spot on on the nursing mum but unfortunately it doesn't say how long to keep away from kittens after treatment.  Common sense would suggest until it's absolutely bone dry which could be 8 hours or so I'd guess.  When you apply the spot on, need to ensure you follow instructions closely and apply in two places to avoid it dribbling to areas she could lick.

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Merial_Animal_Health_Ltd/documents/S3811.html

Relevant bit is "FRONTLINE Spot On Cat can be used in breeding, pregnant and lactating queens." 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 12:57:56 PM »
Just seen the other thread and misread 2 for 6 week old kittens......get a flea comb and comb the fleas out as suggested on the other thread.....do not use the Bob Martin.

Offline Felix Felicis

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 12:53:09 PM »
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Bob_Martins_All_In_One_Flea_Spray__Review_5834615

Here is a link to a description of the Bob Martins stuff. It is pesticide free so I guess it's ok for kittens? It may not be very useful though as the review seems to think it's a bad product.

We have some pharmacy but I don't think they stock it or are not open on sundays.

I will try to call CP aswell to see if they have some advice, while I go out to buy a comb.

EDIT- I know not to use spot on @ the kittens, I am wondering whether it is suitable to use it ON the mother. And if so how long to keep her away from kittens after treatment. Have to go buy the comb now.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 12:58:15 PM by Felix Felicis »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 12:46:53 PM »
I dont know what the Bob Martin two in one spray is...is it for cats?

This is very young and really you need the Frontline spray........do you have a decent pharmcist close, cos frontline can be bought over the counter now but not sure whether its just the drop on or also the spray.

DO NOT use the drop on cos the kittens are not old enough.

Any otherr spray you use must be suitable for very young kittens....look at the instructions  and nothing should be used that is for dogs.

Is there ant vet nearby that does not use Vets Now.....mind you they will also charge a lot for a call out over a BH I think.

These kittens need to be sorted very quickly cos they will go down hill in  a matter of hours at this stage

Offline Felix Felicis

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 12:02:50 PM »
Small update: We also have a neighbour downstairs who just got 2 x 6 week old kittens, the owned of the mother wanted to get rid of them asap. One of them is absolutely infested with fleas, so much that you can see them crawling on him. We gave her the number for the Vet 24 service but they were charging £85 for a consultation, which she obviously cannot afford.

Her mother brought round some flea treatment, one of which is "Bob Martins all in one Flea Spray". The directions on the box are 2 squirts per 1kg of weight. She gave the kittens 1 spray on the tummy. If I cannot get the frontline treatment I could borrow some of this Bob Martins spray. Is it suitable?

Thanks.

PS - I am also wondering whether this is something I should report to someone. The fact this owner (who lives across the road) basically forced this girl to take the kittens at 6 weeks, with a huge flea infestation is unforgivable to me. The one who was really bad would not eat at all yesterday and was very weak. She has spoon fed him some which he took and he has drunk a lot of water so fingers crossed he is improving.

Offline Felix Felicis

• Adult Cat
2 week old Kittens w/ fleas no longer!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 11:23:43 AM »
So I just "inherited" a mother cat with 4 baby kittens, my OH claims to have seen fleas on the kittens last night. I haven't seen any yet but I am very concerned about treating them.

I have been told to get Frontline Spray for them. Unfortunately as it is Sunday of a bank holiday that won't be possible until Tuesday.

I have 1 x pipette of Frontline Spot On which I wonder if I can use on the nursing mother? Also how long I should keep her away from the kittens after treatment.

We are based in Cambridge by the way.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 22:13:24 PM by Felix Felicis »

Link to CatChat