Author Topic: Millie stuck on roof - any suggestions - now home safe  (Read 4929 times)

Offline madasacatter

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
Re: Millie stuck on roof - any suggestions - now home safe
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2009, 20:59:53 PM »
I think you did very well in the circumstances, and the only reason I would probably not have been as worried as I might have been in your position, is because I have been there a long time ago!
Coventry Cat Group

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2009, 20:38:49 PM »
Cheers Gill and Judith

Black and short haired are always trouble makers Judith  :)  I'll keep tree surgeons in mind in future too.

OH said he wudda come back from Sheffield if I'd rang him and wudda found some way to get her down. He has spoken to her today and she's promised not to do it again  :shify:

Spoke to neighbour today who said I should've rang their bell no matter what time.  I got a tour today of the work they've had done on the house so could look out of new roof window.  Not sure she would've been able to get in that way but may have done.

If it does happen again, I promise to remain more calm  :innocent:

Offline madasacatter

• Senior Cat
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2009, 20:26:10 PM »
Rosella, so glad your torment is over!

We went through a similar incident many years ago.  A black short haired ex CPL cat we adopted ran up a very very tall tree in the school grounds adjacent to our house.  She had the habit of following us on walks across the fields adjoining the school, and she ran up the tree for whatever reason, and stayed there all night! 

If I remember correctly OH had to find some very long ladders, which to be honest were not all enough.  Anyway it was a happy, but hairy ending.  She didn't repeat it again!

These days my son who is trained to climb trees as a tree surgeon, (has a certificate to prove it), says the fire brigade don't normally get involved these days, a tree surgeon (presuming a tree is where the cat is) is often the cheapest option and quickest.
He spoke of a tree surgeon going up a tree which was close to another one, and when he eventually climbed up, he discovered the cat was in an adjacent tree! (He reads tree surgeon forums, like we read cat forums!)

I bet your OH will be wishing he had been there! (or not!)
Coventry Cat Group

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2009, 18:50:03 PM »
I know how stressed you must have been and love the house and so does Millie I am sure  ;D

She just felt the urge to see what the area all around looked like  :rofl: :rofl:

Well done Noni , even if it was for an early breakfast  :shify: :shify:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2009, 14:31:13 PM »
Very pretty looking house Rosella....  :Luv2:

Thanks but cudda done with a bungalow last night  :evillaugh:  OMG I can laugh again  :shocked:.  Yes feeling a lot better now  :)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2009, 13:44:08 PM »
Such a shocking height for her to be up!  :Crazy:

Very pretty looking house Rosella....  :Luv2:

I see what you mean about the skylight.... So glad it never came to that... Shocked at the price of the roofer though... That's ridiculous especially them knowing that they would not be fixing anything!  >:(

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 13:24:06 PM »
She was just to the right of the left chimney walking up and down ridge tiles alternately squeeking, miaowing and howling.  Neighbours have installed another roof window at front of house on slope down to valley between our two houses.  They came and asked for our blessing before installing a few weeks ago.  Little did I know at the time that the thought of getting Millie in thru that window would provide so much comfort  :-:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 13:10:42 PM »
I was just about to PM you BM coz you're just great :hug: :hug: :hug:  So much appreciated your support last night during the wee small hours.  Everything looked so black and your suggestion of 24 hr roofer was just the best!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2009, 13:04:00 PM »
 :phew: So glad she is back inside Rosella.... I felt sick with worry for you last night but now so happy she is down safely... I think you need some sleep Mrs!  ;) :Luv: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2009, 12:50:10 PM »
Thanks everyone.   Sorry to have sent you to bed with this worry Gill but grateful you were there if you know what I mean  :hug:

Am still upset and can't get any shut eye.  Still hear here crying from the roof even though she's been lying on the bed with me. I feel a bit ill tbh with the stress of it. It's such a lovely day here too.  I'm having today off so think I might attack lawns in a bit to shake off this horrible feeling.  Millie is mine own bestest ever girl.  She has a little discharge in her right eye now and has just peed on recently washed bathroom mat that was drying on radiator.  Also Ruby ended up loudly hissing twice at Millie earlier on after giving Millie a good sniff ....  as if Millie was an imposter  :(  I think I'll give them each a Zylkene capsule with their lunch to calm things down a bit.

Anyway she's down now.  I can't think for a minute that she will go up there again  :scared:  and I'd like to publicly thank Noni for her support from about 4.30am (or did she want an early breakfast?  ;) )

Offline alison10

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2009, 11:59:18 AM »
So pleased she is home safely, I too would have been going crazy with worry.
Loving mum to Cassie, Ernie, LB, Trio and Harry

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2009, 11:44:24 AM »
Glad Millie's back safely on the ground!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2009, 11:34:03 AM »
So glad she is safe and sound - I hope she's learnt her lesson.  The RSPCA guy was probably right but it's so hard to ignore them and let them come down on their own.

Mary  :hug:
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2009, 11:32:12 AM »
Glad she's down safe and sound  :hug: Lets hope she doesn't make a habit of it!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 11:28:17 AM »
I went to bed worrying about this but was so exhausted couldnt stay awake any longer.

I am so pleased that naughty Millie is back inside and off that roof  :hug: :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 11:45:22 AM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 09:17:51 AM »
Only just seen this, what a worry  :hug:

So pleased she's home safe and sound xx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 09:13:34 AM »
Glad she is down.  :)

I remember someone else had a cat up a tree and was told she would only get help after 24hrs  :Crazy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 06:49:29 AM »
She howled at me on landing as I was coming out of shower about 1/2 hour ago  >:( :) >:( :) 

Maybe not the worst ever night I've had, but it's up there in the top ten  :tired: :tired: :tired:  Think I'll go and feed the neighbours bunch and then I'm off to bed.  Boy is she grounded.....

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
Re: Millie stuck on roof - any suggestions
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 04:32:24 AM »
I rang non emergency number for fire brigade earlier and they said I would have to call 999.  I did actually end up doing that just now coz am getting pretty distraught and they said contact RSPCA.  Other than that they could offer no assistance.  I just rang an emergency roofer and sorry but cost is a bit of an issue at £350.  Have just telephoned RSPCA again.  They say they won't send anyone out until it gets light so I need to ring back about 9am.  Still thinking a good idea to ask neighbour if I can try and get Millie in thru their roof window and am going to call round at 7am.  This is simply hell. 

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 02:13:16 AM »
Just been having a google and dont know about the cost (although Im sure that wont enter your mind) but there are 24hr emergency roofing company's.... Dont know what area your in but Im sure there would be one local to you!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 02:02:04 AM »
What about looking for your local fire station's non emergency no.? Saying that at 2am they may not answer but you never know.... Im sure if they were not too busy or maybe already out on a call they would assist you....  ;) :hug: :hug:

I would be freaking out!  :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 02:02:36 AM by Bazsmum »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 01:52:40 AM »
Kitchen extension has a pitched roof so can't erect ladders on it and I'm on my own tonight.  If she's still up there tomorrow morning, I'll ask neighbours if I can reach through their roof window they had installed last week.  I don't feel I can wake them up this time of night.  Certainly hope she's down before morning though. Her crying is very upsetting.  

I don't think neighbours have any ladders long enough BM.  Can't remember off hand why (clear guttering perhaps) but asked around for long ladders some months ago and no joy.  I have lounge door open in case Millie doesn't want to use new cat flap and have brought duvet downstairs.  I go outside ever 20 mins or so and the crying starts again.  Perhaps RSPCA chap is right that I should just leave her to it. Don't know what to do for the best.  Am so worried she will hurt herself on the way down and I need to be there quickly if she does.  

I rang local fire brigade earlier.  They suggested I ring RSPCA or dial 999 and speak to fire control.  They will come out if fire control tells them to come out but he gave the impression they wouldn't.  Dialling 999 seems over the top.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 01:44:17 AM »
What about the fire brigade? Dont they rescue cats or do I watch too much tv?  :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 01:40:41 AM »
Oh Rosella you must be beside yourself..... Does no one ie neighbour have a ladder?  :Luv: :hug:

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 00:51:16 AM »
Oh no! One of our family cats did this years ago, but managed to get back in through an open roof.  Is there any way you could get a ladder on to the roof from the kitchen extension so she could slide down less distance and then climb down the ladder?

If the worst comes to the worst, at least she has a full tummy and am sure she'll be ok for one night... :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 00:37:58 AM »
Easier said than done but try not to worry too much  :hug: It doesn't sound like she's in a precarious position, she has a tummy full of chicken and it's not cold out tonight. 

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 00:33:26 AM »
Just rang RSPCA and spoke to a nice chap.  He was quite reassuring and said that he has been doing nightshift at RSPCA for 5 years and not had one fatality with cats stuck up trees or on roofs.  Thinking about it, how the hell would he know :shify:?  He did say however that me calling Millie to come down is probably stressing her out and I should just leave her to her own devices and she will come down alone  :(

Just got a bit emotional and am now gonna drink me tea.  Might be a long night....

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 23:53:08 PM »
I dont think she will come down tonight somehow.....what a naughty cat she is.

Sounds like you need a roofer who is good with cats......do you know any firemen?

i wish i could think of something good to suggest  :hug: :hug:

I reckon you need it to rain hrad again so that takes her mind of the fear of coming down, cos i think she could if she really wanted too

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 23:46:13 PM »
Millie is wary of everyone except me.  We have a house.  She needs to slide backwards down slope of main roof (about 12 ft) towards back of house and then jump a short distance on to kitchen pitched roof extension which is easier to navigate.  Any ladder would need to be very long and just too late to ask neighbours for help.  It was raining very heavily a while back and she looked like she was going to try and get down but rain stopped and she sat back down again on ridge tiles.  Unfortunately she had a large meal of chicken this evening (OH away overnight so they all had his share) so she won't be hungry.  I'll try shaking biscuit tin though Helen.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 23:40:35 PM »
Try not to worry first of all  :hug: Would a shake of Whiskas Temptations or similar encourage her to try and get down?

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 23:31:38 PM »
Have you got a chair or something like that to hold up for her to jump on to?

Good luck  :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 23:29:59 PM »
Oh no.............is that a house or a bungalow?

How did she get up there and could she get down the same way?

I guess probably not cos of the way cats claws are and thats why they get stuck up trees.

You need someone with a big ladder and comfident to climb it..is Millie alright with strangers or would she try and run?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
Millie stuck on roof - any suggestions - now home safe
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 23:27:00 PM »
She is sitting on ridge tiles crying to come down.  She couldn't get any higher up.  Been there a couple of hours.  Any bright ideas?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 13:11:20 PM by Rosella moggy »

Link to CatChat