Author Topic: Common sense vs the heart  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: Common sense vs the heart
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 22:34:35 PM »
Im glad you have gone down the common sense route WL, wasnt too long ago little Elliot was poorly and you need a break hun!  ;) :hug:

Looking forward to seeing the pics when your new babe arrives!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline woodlandcats

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 13:22:26 PM »
are there no other rescues around?

Buying from a private litter often encourages the sellers to breed more, leaving cats in a cycle of breeding for much of their early lives, and being dumped when of no use.

I had contacts with many many rescues, but most of them speak of health problems, some don't let the kittens go, some do and leave the responsability to the people that adopt.
The kitten from the private litter is from a mum that escaped, she's up for sterilization when her kittens have gone to new houses. They don't ask money for them
Every life should have 9 cats

Offline louise_81

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 12:55:35 PM »
are there no other rescues around?

Buying from a private litter often encourages the sellers to breed more, leaving cats in a cycle of breeding for much of their early lives, and being dumped when of no use.

Offline woodlandcats

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 12:14:53 PM »
I thought things over and I sent a message telling I would not adopt.
As her own vet initially said it was so highly contagious and please don't place her with other cats, I think it's wise for me not to take her.
Elliot is very small and is a bad eater, he is not very strong I think, so I will adopt from a private litter instead. I can be sure they are in perfect health.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 08:20:45 AM »
I would have a chat with them as to what the vet thinks it is - when I adopted Mabel last year, I didn't notice the gunky eyes and nose, but when she got home it was really bad (she was in isolation). I was told she had always had that while at the rescue, but I gave her different antibiotics and used steam and eucalyptus in an oil burner and within a couple of weeks it had disappeared, so maybe she just needs a different environment and different meds.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 21:33:24 PM »
I would be extremely careful and think what happened to Tinas cat Splitz.  :(

I think any sick kitten would need checking by a vet first and then would  need to be in isolation untli it was better.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 20:31:39 PM »
I go with my heart....adopt them all!!!   :rofl:

Robbie has had periodic runny nose and is always getting gunky eyes, vet advised probably as a by-product of having cat flu as a kitten (he was picked up as a feral kitten so his history is unknown).  Lilly who we got at the same time never had any problems with eyes or nose despite coming from the same place at the same time.  She may have carried whatever virus it is but she never showed it.

I would definitely take kitten to a vets for a once over just to be sure before taking her home as you have other cats.  As Louise_81 has said, it could just be something that keeps going round as she is permanently in that environment.

Karen
x

Offline louise_81

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 20:20:11 PM »
I let my heart rule my head with the two I have just got.

I agree take it to your vets.  If it is a recurring thing, it could be that it is being passed areound the cats in the cattery, and nevver really solve, or the stress of the cattery is making her more susceptable to everything.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 19:51:24 PM »
If you really want her then take her to your own vet and see what he says, your others have to take priority if he says shes a risk. Can you not adopt a healthy rescue instead? Or a special one in a way that isnt infectious

Offline woodlandcats

• Hero Cat
Common sense vs the heart
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 19:46:15 PM »
A while ago, before I got Elliot, I fell in love with a kitten that is in foster home. At the time she was a little ill and the lady said the vet suggested that this kitten should be an only cat somewhere.
Later she was OK, and as no one seems to want her, I thought she'd make al nice friend for Elliot. So today I went to see her, but she's ill again. She has runny eyes and nose  :( . Another kitten that was there has the same.
There are a lot of kittens there and most of them are healthy. I was thinking adopting one of them, but my heart goes out to the little girl.
Then, this afternoon, I went to see a kitten born in a private home and of course this one is very healthy.
I more or less decided I would go and pick up that kitten, but deep down I would so very much like to have the little foster girl.
I'm a sensible not to adopt this kitten? I don't want her to infect my other cats, as I read cats stay carrier for the rest of their live.
Please please, anyone can give me more medical info quick as I have to decide tomorrow what to do. thx

Link to CatChat