Author Topic: CPL fosterer at vets yesterday  (Read 3834 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: CPL fosterer at vets yesterday
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 16:12:55 PM »
So are cats that have access to a cat proffed garden classed as indoor only cats

We would class them as indoor/outdoor  but with a cat safe garden.  ;D

But not all cats will adapt to being indoors only....surely the cats happiness has to come first ?

You are quite right and that is why our experienced fosterer's assess each cat, although most cats do seem to adapt very well , but occasionally one comes along who the fosterer feels that they would not suit an indoor home only. I think we would be happy to home any cat to a home with a cat safe garden. Unfortunately  at the moment there are not too many of those on offer, but more and more people are making enquiries as to how to make their garden cat safe.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 16:14:13 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 15:34:30 PM »
I wouldn't class mine or your cats as indoor only now CC.  I bet if I approached the CP they would rehome to me now that I have outside access but if I do ever adopt again it won't be from them out of principal  :P

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 15:31:53 PM »
Yes Im talking about my own cats also Helen  ;)

But surely some outdoor access is better than none  :-: and how can you be called a bad owner (although nobody is being called a bad owner) for wanting to keep your cats safe  :-: Im sure as hell I didnt pay nearly £300 to just let my cats be unsafe  :shy:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 15:25:12 PM »
So are cats that have access to a cat proffed garden classed as indoor only cats?  :-:

I moved house after I got them CC so they've only had the cat-proofed garden for just over a year now.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 15:23:53 PM »
So are cats that have access to a cat proffed garden classed as indoor only cats?  :-:

To tell the truth sometimes you have to restrict your cats outdoor access as I couldn't bear for one of mine to be killed on the road-it would be totally my fault if that happened  :(

I dont believe there is anything out there for cats that are walking the streets except unnecessary danger-a risk Im not willing to take  :shy:

I have my own reasons for keeping my cats confined to the garden- one was getting death threats from the neighbours, so I feel obliged to keep my cats safe from that  :)

Sure they didnt like it first but I go out with them on a night and play lazer and stuff so they have some human interaction too.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 15:06:28 PM »
Agree with the Kitten thing if the area is dangerous...

And Your 2 certainly have a wonderful life xx

:thanks: They give me far more than I give them  :Luv2:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 15:04:26 PM »
But not all cats will adapt to being indoors only....surely the cats happiness has to come first ?
Some of mine wouldnt be happy kept indoors !

I agree with you here.
This was why I was prepared to wait until a cat needing an indoor home came in.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 15:03:05 PM »
I do think that in circumstances such as kittens CP will be losing out big-style in the area's they deem to be safe for outdoor access and they wont rehome unless it is granted....

Yes older cats who are used to being outdoors/indoors I see the point, although I have a few adults here who would definitely differ on that!  ;)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 15:01:59 PM »
Agree with the Kitten thing if the area is dangerous...

And Your 2 certainly have a wonderful life xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 15:00:06 PM »

I agree when we're talking about adult cats, to rehome an adult cat that's been going outside all it's life as indoor is just asking for trouble and not fair on the cat but I wanted to adopt two kittens who would never have known any different.  Obviously in an ideal world all cats could roam free but sadly it's not an ideal world  :(

And what a wonderful home they got, they certainly havnt suffered by being indoors boys have they  ;D

Aww,  :thanks: MM  I was trying to explain to CP that my potential home would be cat paradise (not in those exact words as they might have thought I was being a bit big headed  :evillaugh:) but they were just completely closed to the idea.  My local RSPCA were happy to rehome as indoor only as long as they went in pairs which was what I wanted anyway.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 14:45:01 PM »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 14:41:42 PM »
IMO! I think its silly when they wont rehome to an indoor home! They are being quite prehistoric on that score me thinks....

Remember when Baggy got a homecheck and they said they would need a cat flap put in for outdoor access!  :Crazy:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 14:35:53 PM »
CP wouldn't home to me due to the indoor only thing either. I explained my home set up, why they would need to be indoor, how long I worked, the fact that I have cat proofed windows, how I appreciated indoor cats required more attention and stimulation, how I'd be prepared to home kittens with special needs etc etc but it fell on deaf ears  :tired: I'm grateful for their closed mindedness as otherwise I wouldn't have my wonderful boys either  :Luv2:

And what a wonderful home they got, they certainly havnt suffered by being indoors boys have they  ;D

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 12:45:18 PM »
Our local one wouldn't home to indoor only either, I think that's changed a little in the last year or so.

Course if they hadn't said no to me all those years ago we wouldn't have our Lirael. Who is the light of my life.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 12:40:40 PM »
CP wouldn't home to me due to the indoor only thing either. I explained my home set up, why they would need to be indoor, how long I worked, the fact that I have cat proofed windows, how I appreciated indoor cats required more attention and stimulation, how I'd be prepared to home kittens with special needs etc etc but it fell on deaf ears  :tired: I'm grateful for their closed mindedness as otherwise I wouldn't have my wonderful boys either  :Luv2:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 10:12:14 AM »
I ended up telling her how CPL wouldn't rehome to me and she was really surprised, she said if people want to keep indoor cats she tends to pretend she doesn't hear it

We are happy to home cats as indoor only, in fact if we didn't we would home very few as more and more people nowadays are asking for indoor only cats. Cats usually adapt remarkable well to being kept indoors and can have a happy fulfilling life. Obviously sometimes we get a cat in that we know would benefit from an indoor/outdoor home and of course that is what we find for them.

I wish the lady I initially spoke to 3 years ago Ela had the same outlook as you, unfortunately she didn't, I was happy to wait till one came in and offered to take an FIV cat too but it all fell on deaf ears.

I strongly believe everything happens for a reason and I now have my gorgeous boys, makes me wonder who would have taken Jess on if we hadn't.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 09:23:38 AM »
I ended up telling her how CPL wouldn't rehome to me and she was really surprised, she said if people want to keep indoor cats she tends to pretend she doesn't hear it

We are happy to home cats as indoor only, in fact if we didn't we would home very few as more and more people nowadays are asking for indoor only cats. Cats usually adapt remarkable well to being kept indoors and can have a happy fulfilling life. Obviously sometimes we get a cat in that we know would benefit from an indoor/outdoor home and of course that is what we find for them.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
CPL fosterer at vets yesterday
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:52:08 AM »
When I was at the vets with Milo last night a lady came in with 3 black kittens in a basket and sat next to me, we started chatting and she said she was a CPL fosterer. The little beauties were 14 weeks old, Mum went into premature labour and they were born early sadily one died. Mum has been rehomed but these 3 are still being fostered for the time being. She thinks the black kittens will be hard to rehome as not many people want black ones  :(

The lady was lovely and we swapped cat stories, I ended up telling her how CPL wouldn't rehome to me and she was really surprised, she said if people want to keep indoor cats she tends to pretend she doesn't hear it  ;)

Turns out we'd quite like to swap jobs as canines are her first love and felines are mine  ;D ;)

Anyway they were beautiful kittens and Milo took an interest in them too, sadily one might need majour surgery as it has no breast bone  :(

Link to CatChat