Author Topic: Beautiful Ethel - RIP  (Read 22928 times)

Offline karenv

• Kitten
I had a phone call from a lovely lady called Luci yesterday who can foster Ethel until we can find her something permanent, I am so relieved and would like to thank JackSpratt for all the help and support so far, I am starting another poster campaign today to see if we can find Ethel a new family but it really has taken the pressure off so a big thankyou once again.
Karen
xx
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 10:30:43 AM by JackSpratt »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
I'm bumping this up as the situation is getting more urgent. Can anyone help? Please PM Karen if you can - thank you.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
I thought she looked sort of that age, having an interest in older cats I'm usually quite good at guessing oldies' ages.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
I told people she was roughly 11. :)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Thank you for her approx age, I have now put that on my site. I must admit that I would not have guessed her correct age  by looking at the pic and I know that very often even  vets are way out when giving a 'guesstimate' and as Janeyk says she is not that old.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 18:11:48 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
She is  :Luv: and she's not so old

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
That was my guestimate! :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
But she is sooooooo gorgeous  ;D

Offline karenv

• Kitten
 :wow:Have just got back from the vets, the opinion is that Ethel is around 10-12 years old.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Thank you

Offline karenv

• Kitten
Im taking Lillie and Mo up for thier jabs today so im hoping i can nip back up after with Ethel, will obviously let you all know what i find out.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Have you an approx age for Ethel please?

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Karen how about contacting your local paper (not free ads ) and see if they will run a little piece about Ethel, you never know some-one could be out there who could help to home her subject to inspection, maybe a nursing home etc or an old person living alone :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Phew. Sometimes I have a tendency to say things in such a manner that people look at me with that blank expression.....

I'm still asking around but people aren't won over by older cats as easily as kittens however stunning they are. (Well, most people that aren't Purrs members.... ;))

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Did I word my post REALLY badly? Doh!

:evillaugh: no the opposite, I understood it as you said it  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Did I word my post REALLY badly? Doh!

Karen, I'm asking everyone I can think of. :) I think Ethel looks great but already have four cats - if she has trouble with two heaven knows what she'd be like here! ;)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
I'm sure no one is meaning to criticise you Karen

fact is a cat which cannot tolerate being anywhere near other cats is a real problem to rehome - I would imagine fosterers, rescue centres and most cat lovers are not going to be able to provide the isolation from others cats Ethel needs

an older person living alone would be the best bet, perhaps - do you have a local day centre which takes ads? a big photo of her might work - and the cpmpanionshop of a cat can be such a blessing - my mother rehomed a cat-hating older girl and it made such a difference to her
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
It bothers me that people assume i havent tried the standard route to try to find Ethel a new home, i would dearly love to keep her but as i have already said she doesnt accept my other 2 cats that are very loved and have had their little world disrupted by poor old Ethel.
If you met Ethel you would understand why, even if a rehoming centre had space and i have spoken to more than 1, it would be a very stressful solutuin for Ethel as she really doesnt like any other cats, if she can just see another cat she gets very angry, aggresive and is very unpredictable.
So to put her in a cattery type envronment would be an awful situation for her and given her age it just really wouldnt be fair, nor is the PTS option which it would brake my heart to actually do but unless a solution can be found i really dont know what else to do.
My other 2, Lillie and Mo are due to go into Woodhouse cattery when i go on holiday on 3rd August, but Ethel cant be taken there so even if somebody is able to offer a temporary fix for now and i can resume my search for a home for Ethel when i get back it would be a big help.
Opened myself up for criticism again there havent i as it seems some are very quick to tell me off for doing things in the wrong way bit if you really belive i  am not trying to do my best for Ethel then thats that!

I don't think anyone is assuming anything Karen but no-one would like to see Ethel pts.  It sounds like you have tried to help Ethel settle in with your 2 cats but she prefers to be an only cat as many cats do, hopefully someone will offer a home very soon.  Was she an only cat before?

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Ela, I didn't say you had no space - I said I didn't know if you'd been contacted and if you had, if the outcome was that the CP had no space.

Thats how i read it

me too.

Offline karenv

• Kitten
It bothers me that people assume i havent tried the standard route to try to find Ethel a new home, i would dearly love to keep her but as i have already said she doesnt accept my other 2 cats that are very loved and have had their little world disrupted by poor old Ethel.
If you met Ethel you would understand why, even if a rehoming centre had space and i have spoken to more than 1, it would be a very stressful solutuin for Ethel as she really doesnt like any other cats, if she can just see another cat she gets very angry, aggresive and is very unpredictable.
So to put her in a cattery type envronment would be an awful situation for her and given her age it just really wouldnt be fair, nor is the PTS option which it would brake my heart to actually do but unless a solution can be found i really dont know what else to do.
My other 2, Lillie and Mo are due to go into Woodhouse cattery when i go on holiday on 3rd August, but Ethel cant be taken there so even if somebody is able to offer a temporary fix for now and i can resume my search for a home for Ethel when i get back it would be a big help.
Opened myself up for criticism again there havent i as it seems some are very quick to tell me off for doing things in the wrong way bit if you really belive i  am not trying to do my best for Ethel then thats that!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Ela, I didn't say you had no space - I said I didn't know if you'd been contacted and if you had, if the outcome was that the CP had no space.

Thats how i read it, its well known people say all rescues wont help them fullstop when they have only phoned the one and had no instant action!
Fingers crossed she gets a home soon, shes gorgeous

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Bumping up Ethel. ;)

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
Hopefully between us we can find her a home soon  :)

We have another ginger girl at Ashfield too, she's a beauty  :Luv:
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Ethel's details on the gallery of Chesterfield CP site, carer's name and number sent to you via PM
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 13:05:26 PM by Ela »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
I'll state now I am in no way associated with the CP so can only go on information I'm given whenever I contact them on behalf of people regarding placements.

The information you may be  given is for that moment only and as you know I always advise for my details to be given to the person so they can contact me direct.  A rescues circumstances can change almost hourly so what information a person may have been given could have changed totally later that day, so in view of this it is always wise to ask the person involved to contact a rescue themselves to confirm the current position. Also even if they cannot take a cat in immediately they are  able to give sound advice based on the true facts at the time.

In this case after speaking to the carer I know that she does not want the cat to come into care anyway as it hates even to see other cats. Therefore as preciously advised I  placed a pic of Ethel and her details on our CP site in the hope of direct homing her.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 14:28:35 PM by Ela »

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
Hello! We're absolutely crammed with a kitteny nightmare at the mo but would be happy to put her on the website and Cat Chat as a direct rehome. Please could someone pm me with all the details and a contact number to add to the page for potential homes to call.

Thanks and thanks Ela for pointing this in my direction
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
If that's how it read, I apologise to any people I confused. I'll state now I am in no way associated with the CP so can only go on information I'm given whenever I contact them on behalf of people regarding placements.

Karen, I'll keep asking around for a home. I'm waiting for an email from someone looking for an indoor cat.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 12:31:17 PM by JackSpratt »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Ela, I didn't say you had no space - I said I didn't know if you'd been contacted and that was the outcome. Can you help Ethel?

As you posted
Not sure if the CP has been contacted and has no space in all honesty
. I read that as you saying we had no spaces, I also know that others had read it as I did.   Ethels carer (although not living in the area the Chesterfield and District deal with) has been in contact with me and advised me that Ethel cannot go into a cattery where she would see other cats. I have now placed a pic of Ethel and details on the gallery on our site and hopefully we will at some time find a home for her.

Corporal Smokey, could the details be placed on the Ashfield and Amber Valley site please?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 13:06:29 PM by Ela »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Ela, I didn't say you had no space - I said I didn't know if you'd been contacted and if you had, if the outcome was that the CP had no space.Can you help Ethel?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 12:30:50 PM by JackSpratt »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
and ginger females are very special

Why?  Over the years we have as many ginger females as males.

Not sure if the CP has been contacted and has no space in all honesty.

As many of you know I am homing officer for Chesterfield CP and I have not been informed about this little ones plight.  :( Quite right we have no space but I do not think that anyone who has nothing to do with Chesterfield CP should be advising people we have no space. I should have been asked. Also we would never see a little one PTS because of that fact.

How right you are Mark, sadly almost every day I receive those threats, but can tell if it genuine or not. If an any doubt whatsoever  we cannot take the risk with a little ones life.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 10:39:28 AM by Ela »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
I think a cat due for PTS would (or should) be considered top priority for any rescue although it is sickening that some people use this to blackmail rescues into taking cats when they are full with a waiting list. At the same time, rescues can't call their bluff and have to act.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 09:58:35 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Nor I, I posted the link for all rescues in her area but don't know if she contacted them

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Not sure if the CP has been contacted and has no space in all honesty.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
Has Ela not seen this one? :shify:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
it's best that he's not going to take her on and later regret it though  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Sorry guys. My uncle doesn't feel in the right position to be taking on a cat at the moment. :( Will keep asking around though - I think she's gorgeous!

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Wonderful  ;D

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Hopefully Gill. I'll explain the severity of the situation and even if it's only a long term fostering situation, at least Ethel and Karens other cats will be happier.

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Oooooooooooooooo does this mean that Ethel has got a home then?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Karen, sent you a PM. Don't worry, my cousin and I will be working on him. he's great with caring for cats, but I think he feels a bit embarrassed about liking balls of fluff so much! (He used to be a miner and I think it detracts from his manly side! ;))

Link to CatChat