Author Topic: Moving House  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Re: Moving House
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 00:06:56 AM »
If they will wear a collar, fine, put on ID details, but not their names. Get them chipped, a lot of vets will do it Gratis with their annual injections, or contact a local rescue as they often do it at a fraction of the cost and will often come out to the cats. Loads of feliway for a month or so will help. The diffusers last 30 days anyway, so that should help. As has been said, keep them confined for a while until they get used to new surroundings.

Hope it all goes well!
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 21:10:02 PM »
Its important they keep them in, if they get out too soon then you run the risk of them getting completely lost  :( are they microchipped? If so remind your parents to update the chip company, if they arent id reccomend this is done as soon as possible.
Make sure if they wear id on a collar that the phone number is correct

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 20:44:16 PM »
Hi Ems  :)

I think Simps and Teasle will be ok tbh,   I was just thinking when we adopt older cats from a rescue they do settle in fine and although your mum and dad's kitties have the added disruption of alot going on at least they will still be with your mum and dad.   I would still be worried though as you are it's only natural  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 15:27:31 PM »
of course its normal, you never offer oh 4 choices at mealtimes!

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 15:26:26 PM »
wondered where you had been, thought married life had taken you away!

Hehe  :rofl: OH does keep laughing saying maybe I should marry the cats as they get treated better than him! Isn't that normal though?!

:1st place: on the wedding  ;D

Thanks Helen! Just so busy sorting stuff out and trying to get organised.

Thanks for your replies though. I think it's best they just kind of play it by ear and keep an eye on them. Think it's going to be hard for my parents to keep them inside as they've always been allowed in and out whenever they want (cats not my parents!). I'm sure they will be fine but it's still a bit of a worry just not really knowing how they'll react to it all. Lots of feliway it is then!

Thanks
Emma

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 14:55:44 PM »
wondered where you had been, thought married life had taken you away!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 13:30:45 PM »
Sounds like they have everything covered  :) If possible I would empty one room in the old house first and pop them in there while the removal men are in, and stress to the removal men not to go in there - they can then go into a new room at the old house while all the unpacking is going on I'm sure they'll be absolutely fine, I moved several times with Tiggy when she was an OAP.  They really need to be kept in for a few weeks (a month ideally), I know that'll be hard in this weather though!

:1st place: on the wedding  ;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 12:13:59 PM »
Sounds like you've given your parents good advice already, I'd do all those things you've recommended. Maybe get the feliway plugged in for a bit longer than a few days though, I'd prob work on a couple of weeks either side of the move. I'm sure the cats will be fine, they do adapt quite well (my Amber was 20 when we moved here and Poppy was about 15) and both were fine, in fact they adapted better than some of my younger ones!

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
Moving House
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 10:41:43 AM »
Hi,

I havent been on here for ages, various time reasons ... work, also getting married, so been busy busy!

But anyway, I have a question about moving house. My parents are moving house, only about 5 mins from where they currently are, but it's obviously going to be a completely different environment for their 2 cats. Simps and Teasle are 15 now and so I think it's going to be hard for them as the only life and area they have known is where they currently are.

My mum has got a huge dog cage from the vets which she will put into one room with them both in with blankets etc, possibly a box or 2 for them to hide in, with the room door locked, just whilst things are busy in the day. Then they'll let them out into the rest of the house to explore on their own during the evening when it's quieter. I've also told her to get some feliway to plug in for a few days before the move, during and after.

So really has anyone got any other ideas on how to make the move and settling in easier?

I just really worry that as they're 15 now that the stress of it all will just make them ill, or they'll run away as soon as they are let outside.

Thanks
Emma

Oh and for anyone who remembers me and my 2 naughty monkeys .....they're both fine, we had a lovely incident with a toady in the garden the other day, Fergus is still as cute as ever and Polly is a right chatterbox, always telling me what a beautiful princess she is!! I'll try and get some updated pictures on here soon. x

Link to CatChat