Author Topic: Lilies and supermarkets.  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Re: Lilies and supermarkets.
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 12:15:35 PM »
Want know anything until tomorrow on this.. So bare with us!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Coco now but was Pings slave as well until he went to Rainbow Bridge.
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 11:24:41 AM »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 10:25:54 AM »
This matter is "In Hand"  ;)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 20:56:07 PM »
Sharon is going to email our regional co-ordinator with a link to the lily page and suggest people are advised. We both think it was a silly remark to make to someone with a valid concern and does nothing for PR  :tired:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 12:12:54 PM »
Before I knew any better ( :-[) I grew lillies on the balcony here.

We were extremely lucky, as Chloe never came to any harm (we didnt have Mr T then) but the lilies are gone, now I know the risks.

I  suspect some cats may be more susceptible than othes - like humans and allergies, - but Im not prepared to risk any cats life by doing the experiment  :scared:

I miss my lilies, but Id miss my cats far, far more!!! :'(  Before I knew any better ( :-[) I grew lillies on the balcony here.

We were extremely lucky, as Chloe never came to any harm (we didnt have Mr T then) but the lilies are gone, now I know the risks.

I  suspect some cats may be more susceptible than others - like humans and allergies, - but Im not prepared to risk any cats life by doing the experiment  :scared:

I miss my lilies, but Id miss my cats far, far more!!! :'( 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:14:00 PM by Wibblechick »
People Power Works!!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 08:32:47 AM »
With 2 of mine already having kidney disease. It would probably kill them. Also, a lot of cats have varying stages of CRF without people even knowing (it doesn't show until 75% of function is lost) so better safe than sorry.

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Coco now but was Pings slave as well until he went to Rainbow Bridge.
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 08:28:32 AM »
I didn't know lillies were dangerous to cats and I've been owned by them for over 30 years.  What form of danger does it take ie. is it only when cats brush against them or are the spores in the air for example? I don't have any in the house apart from in the odd bouqet of flowers I receive but these are placed in vases on top of a high sideboard that the cats can't reach (for obvious reasons  :))  but I do have a container of lillies in the garden and have had for some years. 

This says it all http://www.moggies.co.uk/articles/easter_lily.html  :(

Offline JeanH

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 08:26:26 AM »
I didn't know lillies were dangerous to cats and I've been owned by them for over 30 years.  What form of danger does it take ie. is it only when cats brush against them or are the spores in the air for example? I don't have any in the house apart from in the odd bouqet of flowers I receive but these are placed in vases on top of a high sideboard that the cats can't reach (for obvious reasons  :))  but I do have a container of lillies in the garden and have had for some years. 

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 08:08:05 AM »
What is worse is when you tell cat owners and they decide they still want lillies in the house. My neighbours have 2 outside lillies, they know they are poisonous, but keep them despite the fact there are 5 cats on the street and 2 visitors.

One birthday my sister sent me a massive (and I mean massive) basket of flowers it contained red roses, carnations, and pink lilies. It must have cost a fortune as my birthday is Valentines day. I pulled out the lilies and gave them to my friend who doesn't have a cat. I felt awful as I knew this basket must have cost my sister nearly a £100 but I just couldn't take the risk.

I took a photo of it complete and emailed it to her so she knew what it looked like..........then I removed the lilies. :sneaky:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 07:59:33 AM »
What is worse is when you tell cat owners and they decide they still want lillies in the house. My neighbours have 2 outside lillies, they know they are poisonous, but keep them despite the fact there are 5 cats on the street and 2 visitors.
Please spay your cat

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 07:42:25 AM »
I will see if this can be taken further as I think it is disgusting that people are being given advice like this. I know Sharon has had contact with the chief exec's PA - as well as working for them, she volunteers so is really passionate about cats. I suppose the problem when organisations are large is some are working there as it is a job rather an a vocational thing.

Thank you. ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 07:36:17 AM »
I will see if this can be taken further as I think it is disgusting that people are being given advice like this. I know Sharon has had contact with the chief exec's PA - as well as working for them, she volunteers so is really passionate about cats. I suppose the problem when organisations are large is some are working there as it is a job rather than a vocational thing.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 10:25:28 AM by Mark »

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 06:56:31 AM »
Awww, he's lovely  :Luv:

Happy belated birthday Ping Pong  :cat rub:

You guessed his second name then??? ;D

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 06:52:53 AM »
Awww, he's lovely  :Luv:

Happy belated birthday Ping Pong  :cat rub:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 06:46:31 AM »
I know cars are dangerous to cats but you don't bring cars into your home!!   I was stunned when the woman said this. She did consult someone because she asked me to hang on.

The birthday boy Ping (age 15) I took this photo the other day on his birthday. He is wearing his special magnetic (bioflow) collar I bought him a few years ago.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 06:48:46 AM by Peardrop »

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 06:44:10 AM »
The person you spoke to Peardrop is obviously unaware just how dangerous they are herself as so many people are, it's something which really does need highlighting.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 06:08:12 AM »
Perhaps it is about time we all phoned the supermarkets and complained. >:(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 00:03:41 AM »
I think it was someone on here a couple of years ago that had a cat that was poisoned just by rubbing against the leaves of a lilly plant.

Last year, I was over a friends house and she had a huge bunch in her fireplace. I told her how dangerous they are and she said "Oh Mark, you are OTT about cats" - she is about as senior as a nurse can get in the NHS as well  :Crazy:

I am also a CP volunteer and am amazed what you were told. I'm sure it was the person rather than the CP speaking. I would be tempted to make a complaint by email - it's a shame you don't have their name.

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 22:08:28 PM »
I wish more people were made aware of the dangers of these 'cat killers', there was an article in the paper a couple of years ago where a man bought a bunch of the white lilies for his wife their Siamese brushed against them and the pollen went on to its fur, the cat licked it off and was dead an hour later with kidney failure.

I am going to phone the RSPCA and ask them what their policy is on these dreaded flowers.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 21:55:29 PM »
I was behind someone in the queu in Morrisons last week and she was buying lillies and I noticed that she had cat food in the trolley, I asked her if she knew of the dangers of lillies with cats and she said she had no idea - she went and put the lillies back and said Thankyou about 20 times.

My sister noticed lillies on her neighbours windowsill and knowing that she has got 2 kittens went and knocked on her door and told her to please get rid of the lillies - they were quickly disposed of - another fur baby owner who was unaware of the dangers.

I am thinking of contacting my vets to see if they will put a poster on their notice board - it might help to spread the message and save unnecessary hearbreak.

I too wish there were more warnings on these beautiful but deadly floweres.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 20:10:47 PM »
Oh Lord, i'm so sorry that you had that reaction from CP! I'm Homing Officer for CP and I have it in my signature on my emails so that even if we're onlygiving advice etc people can see it and think twice about lillies!

Apologies on behalf of sill people at CP - we're not all like that!

And good on you for campaining about this - my own cat Katie got terrible gastoeneteritis from licking a lily in my neighbours garden and it was awful!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
Lilies and supermarkets.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 15:05:48 PM »
I have nagged supermarkets and florist about the lack of warning on lilies for years.  Tesco has for the last year or so put a warning on the wrapper but when I shop I look out for people with lilies and tell them how dangerous they are to cats and point out the warning. Many of them haven't noticed it as it is so small.

The other week I contacted Tesco again and asked them if they could either enlarge the warning or print it in red.

I then phoned the Cats Protection League and asked them if they could officially contact the supermarkets. They were not the slightest bit interested and when I pointed out that lilies could kill cats I was told "so do cars."  >:(

I am stunned to think that an animal charity could be so heartless.

Link to CatChat