Author Topic: Mum's cat is dying  (Read 10871 times)

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
Re: Mum's cat is dying
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2007, 10:35:55 AM »
Hi Suzi do you have an update for us please ??
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2007, 10:26:09 AM »
Only just noticed this topic, I am so sorry and do know how you must be feeling. If Basil is still with you now then perhaps you will consider making the  the final act of kindness, I know it is difficult as I have been in the same position when mum had an elderly cat who just hung on and on.  Eventually i rang the vet and asked him to come out.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Topsythecat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mikey
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2007, 23:40:31 PM »
 :'(
My cat Tigre passed away when he was 23 in 1999. I was 23 at the time, we had got him as a rescue cat in 1993.
His body began shutting down and my parents took him to the vets, they did put him to sleep. Its a horrible time, I was in bits and It felt like a member of the family was gone. People who don't love animals don't understand this but I can imagine how you feel.

I don't know if you are working etc... but I took a few days off (I had to lie about the reason), you need to grieve just as you would a person. Basil is surrounded by the most important people, that is what matters.
sam xxx

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2007, 23:21:37 PM »
So sorry to hear about basil, suzi :hug:  It must be a horrible time for you and your family.  It sounds like Basil has had a wonderful life so just be with him and cuddle him as he passes to the bridge.  I agree with Michelle - do talk to him and tell him it's ok for him to go.  It sounds daft but I do think that in a way they understand.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2007, 23:00:35 PM »
Suzi my heart goes out to you and your Mum and this terrible time.

Like everyone else has said just make Basil comfortable and stay with him .... personally I would  bed down with him for the night but of course this is just me!  The fact that Basil has been with you for 20 years shows he has had a good life and is a very much loved member of the family.

Sending you loves of love and prayers and a big gently hug to Basil.

We are all hear for you and know how upset you must all be feeling.

Sam xxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 22:44:36 PM »
((Suzi))

Just be with him, talk to him, stroke him and tell him how much he is loved - even tell him it is ok to go.

None of us can tell you how much time he has left but i am going to eco what Delsey has said and say that if he is still here in the morning please consider letting your vet help him to cross to the other side.

It must be so hard for you and your Mum tonight - i cant begin to imagine what you are both going through.
I hope it helps you to know that our hearts are with you.

Much love
Michelle xxx

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 22:24:13 PM »
Hi Suzi,

So sorry to hear about Basil.  Nobody can tell you how long you have although I guess the Vet has tried to give a guesstimate.  If an anecdote will help my Cleo died last November and from the time that she could no longer walk it was only a matter of hours, about eight hours.

I know how hard this is and as you have had Basil since you were a small child it is going to be especailly difficult for you.  I am sending positive vibes to you and your family.

Take care.   :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 

Offline suzi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 22:21:58 PM »
Thank you everyone for your lovely messages

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 22:05:36 PM »
I am so very sorry to hear about Basil and it sounds so like what happened to my kocka  :'( :'(

I am thinking of you at this sad time and totally understand what you are going through, give him a kiss from me .

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 22:03:03 PM »
This is such a hard thing to do, but if he is still with you in the morning, please consider taking him to a vet - while a vet might say they are not in pain, watching a cat shut down isn't a pleasant thing to go through, and a lot harder than holding them while a vet lets them go. Big hugs to you through this sad time.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 22:01:50 PM »
Sorry to hear about Basil  :hug:  I went through this recently with my beloved Tiggy, in the end I chose to let her go but I was glad that I had spent the day before with her just stroking and cuddling her.  Nothing that anyone else says can make it any easier when the time comes but like you have said Basil knows how much he is loved and I bet he has had a fantastic life with you and your family.

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 21:57:21 PM »
Oh Suzi  :group:

I wish I could give you an answer but unfortunately I can't  :(

Goodbyes are so hard but Basil has people around him that love him.

My love, thoughts and prayers are with you, Basil and your family tonight xxxx

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 21:54:46 PM »
Thinking of you and you family suzi - from experience all I can say is cherish every moment you have left with Basil xx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:

Offline suzi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 21:50:46 PM »
Thanks
Emotions are just very very high tonight. The vet has said that he is not in pain , his body is just shutting down now. I know no-one can really tell us how long he has..i suppose i am just dreading the time to come, and looking for a little hope. Im 26, and he is 20, so he has been in my life for as long as i can remember. Goodbyes are really hard. His name is Basil, and he knows how much he is loved. The family are with him tonight giving him all our love.

Sorry Gill, like i said, just very very upset tonight.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 21:42:18 PM »
No I certainly wasnt being judgemental but assumed that the vet would have told you this, if you had seen one. yes I was worried that he was suffering.  :'( :'(  Please tell us his name.

When we have a sick cat of that age, I had one 18months ago, it is very very hard and my heart goes out to you and all I can say is to just show him he is loved, which I know you are.

Try not to wish that you had given him another cuddle or stroke cos now is the time for this, sadly it sounds that he is very sick but time is impossible to calculate.

My thoughts are with you and the cat.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 21:29:48 PM »
Suzi, I'm so sorry. 20 is a pretty good age for a cat.

I don't think Gill was being judgemental. I think what she was worried about was that the cat may be suffering and if that was the case the vet would be able to help.

Sorry, I don't think anyone can tell you how long is left with him, it's not something that can be predicted really. But whatever time he has left, it sounds as though when it's up, he'll go knowing how much he meant to his family.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline suzi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 21:22:07 PM »
why did you presume we havent. He has been to the vet three time. last time yesterday, just to make him comfortable at home. Thanks for the supportive comment

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 21:17:13 PM »
I am sorry to hear this but why havent you consulted a vet?

I think he needs help urgently  :'(

Offline suzi

• Adult Cat
Mum's cat is dying
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 21:09:15 PM »
just sitting here with my mum and her cat who is 20 years old. Not sure if he is going to make it through the night. He has been worsening through the week and has lost a lot of weight. He hasn't eaten since Thursday. Cant stand or walk anymore, and my mum has been keeping him hydrated by helping him to drink small amounts of water. She has made him very comfortable and is getting a lot of loving from all the family. Is anyone able to give any guidance on how long we have left with him now. A very sad time for us, he is a much loved member of the family.

Link to CatChat