Author Topic: Boarding cattery  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Boarding cattery
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 17:03:10 PM »
One thing I have been told by a cattery owner is it is more of a hobby than a business as she doesn't make a lot of money even though she is as full as she wants to be. We compared notes as I ran a B&B and had similar problems with people wanting you a their beck & call. She keeps a separate phone line for the business and strict times for dropping off and collecting as people want to come at the most ridiculous hours when they get back from their holiday as they are missing their baby  :evillaugh: - ie people phoning from the airport asking if they can collect at midnight  :Crazy:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 17:05:23 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline HellyB

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 16:43:38 PM »
It is just me and my husband who live together but we have got friends and family nearby who could help out.  We have got a huge garden at the back of our house but at the moment im not sure how many pens it could house, and i dont want to set my sights too high without the proper guidance.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 15:25:30 PM »
Check your local authority rules too. They are different for each area.
Do you live alone or are their a number of you at the house. Im asking because in most cases boarding cattery's need someone there 24hrs a day. I volunteer at one as the owners Dad who was the partner died and she cant run it alone. Without my help she would have to hire staff to sit in while she does things like banking. She also has to hire people when she goes out at night so if you only have a small cattery would it be financially worth it?
Good luck with whatever you decide
love
Tab

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 14:18:52 PM »
Haha, snap Dawn!  :evillaugh:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 14:18:23 PM »
Get in touch with Feline Advisory Bureau, they have courses for boarding cattery owners and they have a boarding cattery manual, which is ace.  :) http://fabcats.org/catteries/infosheets/starting_a_boarding_cattery/starting_a_boarding_cattery.html

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 14:18:17 PM »
I think FAB have a book on the subject might be worth checking out

Offline HellyB

• Adult Cat
Boarding cattery
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 14:14:28 PM »
Im thinking of building/opening a small cattery could anyone give me any tips and advise on this please.  Many thanks 

Link to CatChat